Steam In The Blood

Having just finished re-reading Richard Hardy's book of the above name, I'd like to commend it to anyone who's never read it.  It's basically the very well-written autobiography of a chap who rose from Doncaster apprentice to Divisional Manager, it covers up to the end of steam and a bit beyond, and it's full of fascinating stuff about the reality of "the good old days" on BR - the human side as well as the operational.

Apparently it's been out of print for yonks (it's a 1971 book), but it may well be obtainable from the likes of World of Books.  Publisher's Ian Allan and the ISBN's 0711002118.

However, if you don't fancy buying a copy and your library service is anything like ours, they'll probably have a copy or two in the county store.  I certainly got a cracking good read for my 60p reservation fee ...

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Not read it in a long while but found it an enjoyable read along with 'Steam Was My Calling' by E.S. Beavor.

Other similar books to look for are the D. Bradford Barton Ltd 'railwayman's memories/reminiscences' series.

421124710_booklist2.jpg.d4d7655a646e20e061eede68aac3e05a.jpg

I think I will get them off the shelf again when the cold winter nights start to draw in.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Try "A Life on the Lines. A railwayman's Album", by RHN Hardy.   Brilliant read for anyone interested in the LNER and its engines and particularly the GE section and East Anglia, bit of Southern too. In the shot on page 107, I could be one of the schoolboys waiting on the taxi ramp at LV. Lots about Stratford loco too, another place I spent much of my schoolboy spare time. (ISBN 978-1-84486-173-6, www.anovabooks.com).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Mike Higson of the Roundhouse Harrow and Smokebox Kingston shops,  was one of the first to write his memoirs,"London Midland Fireman"  around the time Steam in the Blood was published, I found both excellent reads.

After that there was Mendips Engineman and Footplate over the Mendips by Peter Smith again I enjoyed those very much.  

Sadly other than footplatemen, there are very few of other grades memories, Harold Gasson became a signalman and that is covered in the latter part of his trilogy "Signalling days",  also a signaller in the Manchester area did a book on his experiences.