Modelling in 2mm scale (N)

Hi All.

Being new to the hobby i'm after some advice on 2mm scale modelling. I've seen some really great layouts on the forum of which i'd love to be able to model.

Currently i have a room around 8Ft x 7Ft, that i was staring to create something in 00 gauge, i do like the scale regarding handling but i have restrictions in the room i have, tight radius corners etc.

N gauge looks quite appealing with the possibility of modelling something with more space. The advances in detail on new N gauge loco's really do look great.

The advice i need relates to modelling the scale, we all have levels of modelling experience, me being a novice i'm concerned i may struggle with the finer details. 

I managed to detail my class 37 although ended up with eyes spinning afterwords. Track laying seems okay, i've soldered DCC to the fishplates that was fine.

Any advice would be appreciated i've been changing my mind so many times, even my wife is getting fed up of me not making a decision

I've attached a couple of images of my progress, as you can hopefully see my indecision in both scales.

Many thanks in advance for any advice/help on the subject.

Andy

20190918_080405.jpg

20190918_080340.jpg

20190909_193245.jpg

20190918_080734.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

If you're really uncertain I'd seriously suggest hitting the pause button and getting yourself along to some model rail shows, you can often see layouts and stock and talk to operators in either scale with enough hands on experience to have gotten them that far, and judge for yourself which way is going to end up being the most rewarding / satisfying for you.

Viewing stock/buildings/scenery on an operating layout is often a quite different experience from working on individual items in ultra detail or taking ultra detailed close-up photos.

I model in both N and in O and accept the compromises that both necessarily entail in the space and skills I have available to me, but enjoy greatly what each offer.  If you, quite sensibly, have to choose just one scale then first getting 'up close and personal' with what you will be committing to live with would seem to me to be best.

Regards, Gerry.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

As a long time N gauge modeller, some 45 yrs or so, I look at 2mm scale models in some awe. However, while I can see the attraction, I feel the effort and plain difficulty is beyond me. The same applies to P4 and similar 'better scale' OO style models.

If the better accuracy is a real attraction and you have to time, skills and patience then go for it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, GeoffAlan said:

As a long time N gauge modeller, some 45 yrs or so, I look at 2mm scale models in some awe. However, while I can see the attraction, I feel the effort and plain difficulty is beyond me. The same applies to P4 and similar 'better scale' OO style models.

If the better accuracy is a real attraction and you have to time, skills and patience then go for it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Geoff, I think the OP is saying 2mm (N) as against 4mm (OO). I don't think he means 2mmFS, rather 2mm N gauge........

Best

Scott

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You need to decide what appeals to you the most.

For example, your room could have a 00 layout with small industrial locos and a shunting yard - places such as docks or breweries did have tight radius curves.

Or, you might prefer seeing longer trains in a landscape, which would mean N gauge. 

Ultimately, it's your choice :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Many thanks for your feedback, it's much appreciated.

I have indeed visited some Model Railway exhibitions, that's were it all started to get complicated.

I've inherited some 00 stock that i was quite eager to start a layout, then after visiting Warley and the Staffordshire exhibitions N gauge really took my fancy.

The main concern for me is the skill level of creating a detailed layout, looks pretty damn hard but worth every effort from what i can see on this forum and the exhibition layouts.

One thing that does put me off is working under a magnifying glass to undertake most of the modelling, is this the case or am i thinking too hard about the possible problems i may experience.

I've been banging my head for months now knowing what to expand on, i didn't realise that this decision along with track planning could be so difficult.

I'm a packaging designer by trade you would think this would be an easy decision to make :unsure:

Thanks again, much appreciate the time taken to respond.

Andy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Close focus reading glasses are much better than a magnifier, for a start you get 3D vision, also less eye strain.  I started with an illuminated magnifier but gave it away.

CL 37 looking good BTW.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Whatever scale you model in the point is to enjoy yourself!

I model in N and nowadays need to use reading glasses to see detail, but for me the joy of N has always been the "trains in the landscape" possibilities.  Nowadays, the improved chassis, sound options, far better detailing and improved choice mean you can also  do shunting, remote uncoupling etc that twenty years ago would've been almost impossible without lots of work fettling.

Having said that, there is no question that because they are larger and can fit in more weight and bigger motors the performance of good 00 models is better.  And it is easier to superdetail these models, if that is your pleasure.

If having attended a few shows you're still unsure then maybe you'd be better off just accepting that sometimes you're in an 00 mood, sometimes an N mood, and have areas set aside for each as you seem to have a fair bit of space there?

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Andy,

12 months ago I decided to start a 009 gauge layout using N gauge track with a mixture of set track, code 80 flexitrack and code 55 points (in order to benefit from electrofrogs).  This was after completing an extensive 00 gauge layout in my loft which runs very well.  I have restricted eyesight and was concerned as to how things would go, since the first question I was asked when discussing the question with an N gauge modeller at an exhibition was "how good is your eyesight?".  About the same time I joined my local modelling club and, after laying the track on one baseboard (which contains most of the points) I took the board to a club night.  Nothing would run reliably and it was discvered that the track had shifted slightly in transit (it had not been ballasted at that stage).  To me, the track looked OK but closer inspection, using a magnifying headset, showed up where the problems were.  I have now comlpleted all tracklaying and ballasting and have added some scratch-built structures (which are 00 "scale") and I have to say that the locomotives run very well indeed.  I am running steam locos - most with lots of pickups - but also have a tiny 0-4-0 industrial loco that traverses all the points except the two insulfrog curved ones and that will be overcome when I wire up the coach with pickups.  Track tolerances are indeed finer in N gauge - and I have not built any N gauge structures but, the smaller the scale, the less detail needs adding to items (though some may argue differently).  One problem I find is that the N gauge points are much fussier than 00 gauge items, are harder to clean and the switch rails can easily be bent out of shape; conversely I find them easier to reshape.  My Dapol A3 locomotives are also very fragile in some areas.

I have managed better recently after a year's experience and having bought a better headset.  Choose one that is comfortable, has a selection of magnifiers and a bright enough light.  I have also benefitted from the help of fellow modellers at the club.  Having made a mess of soldering little wires to one of my locos, I persuaded another member who models in N gauge to help and he put the matter right.  Another member who normally models in 0 gauge, also undertook the task of hard wiring a DCC decoder to my tiny 0-4-0 - it is only 50mm long and has a wheelbase of 10mm.  Well done him!

I hope this story helps your decision - and I recommend joining a railway modelling club if you have one nearby.

Harold.

• Like 1