Repairing a cracked loco body - Flying Scotsman BR Green

Fel1xp

Having bought the loco online with a crack I wanted some help on how to fix a crack on the body shell. Its lucky its on the smokebox as the black helps mask it.

I thought I have 3 options:
1. Leave it

2. Glue it  (I'm concerned about glue residue and doing more damage)

3. Fill it and sand it (again will I just end doing more damage)

If you've done this before or got any tips it would be appreciated!

IMG_1301.JPG

IMG_1000.JPG

You'll need to use a liquid solvent rather than glue. Using something like butanone or MEK (both are the same thing) apply it to the crack from the inside so as not damage the paint. Press the crack together and maintain the pressure until the solvent dries (it's pretty quick stuff). You may find a very slight ridge along the repair which can be removed carefully with fine wet and dry paper. If the model is moulded in black plastic Bob, as they say should be your uncle. If its not black you may need a brush full of satin black jut to tidy it up.

• Agree 3

Hi all,

I have a 1970's Flying Scotsman that had 2 really bad cracks across the boiler. Both going about halfway round the boiler. I used Hafix industrial super glue applied from the inside by very gently opening the crack and applying the glue.. Then holding tightly shut till it set. As this loco was going for a full repaint I was not worried bout any possible glue marks. Even so when it had set there was no sign of any glue on the outside. This is the engine after it's repaint. No signs of any cracks appearing now...… :)

Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures.

DSC_0537.JPG

DSC_0538.JPG

DSC_0542.JPG

DSC_0545.JPG

DSC_0547.JPG

Edited by cypherman