70s Industrial steam

7 hours ago, Trev52A said:

Two views of NCB No 32 (Andrew Barclay 1659 of 1920) (now preserved) on the line which crossed over the Team Valley Trading Estate, Gateshead, via a concrete viaduct to Ravensworth Park Drift Mine.

1319452633_(123aS)NCBNo32RavensworthDriftColliery27-07-72(TrevorErmel).jpg.87bcdb3b2df5f3d7ea4ba76faa4accce.jpg

Propelling empties up to the mine on 20th July 1972

520302487_(127aS)NCBNo32RavensworthsystemTeamValley9-7-71(TrevorErmel).jpg.b18a4d58177fc3d9b72d3f88785bf3bb.jpg

Pushing a full load towards the changeover point where wagons were hauled up an incline to join the rest of the NCB system, on 9th July 1971

I have several views of the viaduct but outside the timescale of this thread (taken in 1968/69)

Trevor

Thanks Trevor, I managed to find one picture of Ravensworth on Flickr

No. 32 at Ravensworth Park

And are these your pictures on this website as one of them shows the concrete viaduct.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/history/tyneside-scene-been-transformed-beyond-13358349

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Thanks Trevor, I managed to find one picture of Ravensworth on Flickr

No. 32 at Ravensworth Park

And are these your pictures on this website as one of them shows the concrete viaduct.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/history/tyneside-scene-been-transformed-beyond-13358349

That's a great picture, thanks for finding it. That's the loco shed on the right - I have a (dark) interior view on the new thread for '60s Industrial Steam'

Yes, those are my pics in the Chronicle website - my secret is out! 

Cheers

Trevor

• 2 weeks later...

Derwenthaugh

I was curious about the odd cab design of this and some other Vulcan Foundry Austerities and it turns out that it was because they were originally built for the Lambton Railway which had a small bore tunnel.  

NCB 0-6-0ST 58 at Derwenthaugh NCB 0-6-0ST 58 near Derwenthaugh

Winlaton Mill

I984 Winlaton Mill 58 VF5299'45

1986???

I986 NCB Winlaton Mill 58 VF5299'45

I985 NCB Winlaton Mill 58 VF5299'45

Clockburn Drift Mine, Winlaton Mill

Did Winlaton Mill really still use steam well into the 80s?

And this is what happens when you let your children design your locos.

Derwenthaugh Coking Plant

• Like 12
  • Funny 3

17 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

And this is what happens when you let your children design your locos.

Derwenthaugh Coking Plant

Hi Monty,

Have you any more information upon the how, why, what, where and when of the above contraption, it would seem to be the "Salisbury Cathedral" of steeple cabbed locomotives !

Gibbo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

I was curious about the odd cab design of this and some other Vulcan Foundry Austerities and it turns out that it was because they were originally built for the Lambton Railway which had a small bore tunnel.  

Did Winlaton Mill really still use steam well into the 80s?

Nice to see those pics montyburns. Most of them seem to be at the southern end of the Derwenthaugh system at Clockburn Drift, which also had an underground narrow gauge link to Marley Hill colliery (but that's a different story!)

Round-topped cab Austerities Nos 7, 58 and 59 came from the NCB's system near Sunderland based on Philadelphia (the Lambton Railway) in 1969 when it closed to steam.

In answer to your question - all three were scrapped in 1972 and the whole Derwenthaugh system went diesel in the early 1970s, so no, steam didn't last into the 1980s, (otherwise I would have a box full of colour slides of the line!) The whole line closed in 1985 when the coking plant finished.

Trevor

• Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Monty,

Have you any more information upon the how, why, what, where and when of the above contraption, it would seem to be the "Salisbury Cathedral" of steeple cabbed locomotives !

Gibbo.

Was it used at a coking plant. Glasshoughton had a loco with a high level cab to push the large hopper wagon under the quenching tower.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

In case anyone is wondering this modern coke car loco was built at LH (in 2007) for a steelworks in South Korea. The photo shows in the LH (now part of Wabtec) yard at Barton under Needwood. It's stood on a track panel although it is standard gauge - and it's clearly too high at 5m to fit in the shed.

• Informative/Useful 1

If you go to this topic, and watch the video, you'll see a coke oven locomotive in action, with a coke car from 16 minutes. Don't blink or you'll miss it. Well worth watching the whole video though. I used to be able to see the plume of steam from the coke being quenched from my house to the ovens at Royston, which is over 10 miles away but it was quite a spectacle to watch the red hot coke being pushed from the ovens into the coke car close up. I have some pictures of the Royston loco and car in action, somewhere.

• Informative/Useful 2

22 hours ago, Trev52A said:

Nice to see those pics montyburns. Most of them seem to be at the southern end of the Derwenthaugh system at Clockburn Drift, which also had an underground narrow gauge link to Marley Hill colliery (but that's a different story!)

Round-topped cab Austerities Nos 7, 58 and 59 came from the NCB's system near Sunderland based on Philadelphia (the Lambton Railway) in 1969 when it closed to steam.

In answer to your question - all three were scrapped in 1972 and the whole Derwenthaugh system went diesel in the early 1970s, so no, steam didn't last into the 1980s, (otherwise I would have a box full of colour slides of the line!) The whole line closed in 1985 when the coking plant finished.

Trevor

Right thanks, I was a bit skeptical about the dates as surely someone would have already mentioned the site in this thread if it still used steam in the 80s.

On 03/01/2020 at 19:51, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Monty,

Gibbo.

Just click on the picture and it will take you to the Flickr page with all the info about it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ruston said:

If you go to this topic, and watch the video, you'll see a coke oven locomotive in action, with a coke car from 16 minutes. Don't blink or you'll miss it. Well worth watching the whole video though. I used to be able to see the plume of steam from the coke being quenched from my house to the ovens at Royston, which is over 10 miles away but it was quite a spectacle to watch the red hot coke being pushed from the ovens into the coke car close up. I have some pictures of the Royston loco and car in action, somewhere.

3 hours ago, Ruston said:

At Glasshoughton a public footpath ran through the middle of the site just a few metres from the ovens and tower. On the other side of the path lay the slurry ponds and their superfluous signs warning of danger and deep water. The lagoons were black with bituminous substances on the surface which belched sulphurous fumes and occasionally caught fire.  Overhead, the rope buckets carried waste to the tips and, just across the railway line, punters backed their favourite at the Pontefract races. The cloud of steam was acidic and capable of burning holes in washing if the weather was out of the west, which it usually is. The high cab loco appears in Ron Rockett's book on Castleford Colliery Railways.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 18/12/2019 at 19:29, montyburns56 said:

Littleton Colliery 1993

Littleton Colliery

Nassington Ironstone Quarry

LCGB Tour 1971

Nassington Ironstone Quarry

https://flic.kr/p/fa894m

Swalwell Disposal Point 1971

Mechanical Navvies Ltd Austerity

This one says it's from 1987, could that be right?

I987 Mech Navvies Ltd 71515 rsh'44

What is the deal with the counter-weight on the middle wheel, especially visible in the top photo? Surely the counter-weight should be opposite where the coupling rod is connected to balance that?

12 minutes ago, F2Andy said:

What is the deal with the counter-weight on the middle wheel, especially visible in the top photo? Surely the counter-weight should be opposite where the coupling rod is connected to balance that?

Hi Andy,

The crank webs are set at 180* to the crank pins on the wheel, when engines are set up this way there is an amount of through balancing due to the crank web and crank pin on the wheel cancelling out each others forces. The slight off set of the balance weight from 180* is due to the inclination of the cylinders.

The reasons for this is to reduce axle loadings, un-sprung mass and rotating mass within the wheel sets.

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, F2Andy said:

The middle one is the crank axle so the balance weight in the wheel has to take account of that as well as the coupling for. Almost all inside cylinder locos have this arrangement of balance weights.

• Informative/Useful 1

A brilliant thread, this; and a very interesting shot.  I reckon this is the bridge which still exists over the Leeds-Liverpool Canal near Thackley Tunnel, Shipley.  I spent a bit of time in the summer last year picking around the site, looking for any relics of the trackbed.  There's the odd sleeper still in the woods, but the bridge at least is still in very good nick.  And at least the locomotives still exist, including the very well-kept (if non-working) tank loco in Bradford Industrial Museum (and a diesel is still at Crossley-Evans Scrappers in Shipley, even if out of use).

There's a preserved surviving Austerity up at the Aln Valley Railway with one of these rounded cabs; saw it briefly the last time I was camping up that way...

11 hours ago, Ben B said:

A brilliant thread, this; and a very interesting shot.  I reckon this is the bridge which still exists over the Leeds-Liverpool Canal near Thackley Tunnel, Shipley.  I spent a bit of time in the summer last year picking around the site, looking for any relics of the trackbed.  There's the odd sleeper still in the woods, but the bridge at least is still in very good nick.  And at least the locomotives still exist, including the very well-kept (if non-working) tank loco in Bradford Industrial Museum (and a diesel is still at Crossley-Evans Scrappers in Shipley, even if out of use).

If you search for Esholt Works on Flickr you'll find quite a few pictures of what remains on the site.

Esholt Works 1973 

Esholt Water Pollution Control Works, Bradford in 1973 Esholt Water Pollution Control Works, Bradford in 1973(that's sewage to you and me) Esholt Water Pollution Control Works, Bradford in 1973 Esholt Water Pollution Control Works, Bradford in 1973 Esholt Water Pollution Control Works, Bradford in 1973

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1