Platform lengths

vectispete

When researching stations and station platform lengths are given does the length always include or exclude the ramp each end?

I am looking at Henley in Arden and have read the platform lengths are 500 ft. I just wanted to get the correct length modelled.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

In the real world all that mattered was the length of the platform top because that was what we needed to know so many prototype references will be based on that .  If I remember correctly - without checking any I happen to have squirrelled away -  the (G)WR Civil Engineer's 'single line' drawings show the ramps but don't include them in the platform surface length (but might show the chainage, I'm not sure on that without checking).   I do know that all the stuff we kept on the Ops side was usable platform length only so therefore excluded the ramps thus anything you find in any operating publications should exclude the ramps.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

If I may hijack this thread a little, I'm intrigued by the variation in platform lengths nowadays ...... presumably all platforms on a particular line were the same length when built and you'd expect identical extensions as trains became longer over the years - but so often you hear announcements for Selective Door Opening of all sorts of different carriage numbers.

• RMweb Gold

Not all platforms on a line were necessarily the same length;

Halts could be shorter for example because the train/autotrain predicted to operate them was say 1 or 2 coaches as opposed to the more significant stations which could be expected to handle handling 5 or more coaches. Also some platforms could be for more than one larger train.

Contrast Alberta Road Halt/ Llandough Halt, Abercwmboi Halt, Penarth Town, Cardiff General (Central?), Queen St  and at the long extreme Pontypridd from my memories.

Regards

1 hour ago, Wickham Green said:

If I may hijack this thread a little, I'm intrigued by the variation in platform lengths nowadays ...... presumably all platforms on a particular line were the same length when built and you'd expect identical extensions as trains became longer over the years - but so often you hear announcements for Selective Door Opening of all sorts of different carriage numbers.

Which bit of the train stopped in the platform could also be varied to spread the load out along the train, so that not all the passengers sat in the front 2-3 coaches or wherever!  Although I think (at least with with HST's on the Cotswold line) the actual bit that stopped on the platform always had to include the Guards door.

• RMweb Gold

There's lots of reasons why some platforms might not get extensions, my 'inspiration station' Eggesford on the North Devon line had sidings trailing off at one end of the up platform and a level crossing the other end, with quite a short platform between. Not helped if the train was held at the signal, the loco occupied the first bit of platform so only 2-3 coaches lined up with the platform!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Modern trains tend to be longer than the trains originally using the line, in Cornwall a lot of the platforms are shorter than the HSTs that were in use until recently, as previously in loco hauled days only the front portion of the train went forward, the rest was left in Plymouth. I believe that a few of the 800s will be formed of 10 coaches from Paddington, but on arrival at Plymouth the front 5 will go forward into Cornwall and the rear 5 will form the front 5 of the next 10 coach train when the rear 5 arrive from Penzance going back to London.

I think the 5 coach 800s will fit most Cornish platforms.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Modern trains tend to be longer than the trains originally using the line, in Cornwall a lot of the platforms are shorter than the HSTs that were in use until recently, as previously in loco hauled days only the front portion of the train went forward, the rest was left in Plymouth. I believe that a few of the 800s will be formed of 10 coaches from Paddington, but on arrival at Plymouth the front 5 will go forward into Cornwall and the rear 5 will form the front 5 of the next 10 coach train when the rear 5 arrive from Penzance going back to London.

I think the 5 coach 800s will fit most Cornish platforms.

When the 10 coach 800's come down only 6 coaches are platformed in many stations. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Kris said:

When the 10 coach 800's come down only 6 coaches are platformed in many stations. 

So when they start splitting more of the 10 coach units at Plymouth, it will only be the 9 car units that will have restricted door opening due to short platforms West of Plymouth. There will still be restricted door opening at Ivybridge and Totnes though.

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

So when they start splitting more of the 10 coach units at Plymouth, it will only be the 9 car units that will have restricted door opening due to short platforms West of Plymouth. There will still be restricted door opening at Ivybridge and Totnes though.

Not just down west. IIRC, the last time I came down on a 2x5 Class 800 formation, there were announcements about needing to be in the front six cars to alight at certain stations before Exeter. I don't remember which, but would hazard a guess at Castle Cary and/or Tivvy Parkway.

John

19 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

my 'inspiration station' Eggesford on the North Devon line had sidings trailing off at one end of the up platform and a level crossing the other end, with quite a short platform between.

There was a similar situation at Stanford Le Hope station. When the platforms first needed extending, the up-platform extension was built on the opposite (south) side of the level crossing, with a rolling section to fill the gap across the road! After the original station burnt down, the original up platform site was abandoned and relocated on the south side of the crossing.