Peasevern Yard - 7mm BR Blue shunting layout

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Cracking lookin Cabin Rob, I WANT ONE, haha

Ha ha, join the queue Andy, I have been asked if I would do others, maybe a future career move if I get bored of Logistics... 

Conveniently the window sills are the same height as the flower beds so provide a potential option for future garden layout for when I retire,  just need to spend the next 20 years convincing my wife it is a good idea..!!!

• Like 6

The laborious task of weathering scrap continued tonight, hoping to glue it in the wagons over the weekend. Also I put a second coat of paint on the Bedford cab. I had a supervisor in the form of Lily the cat...

20201211_201903.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

48 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Nice modelling and a nice cabin.

Is that for models or are we talking beer fridge and darts board type thing ?

Sadly neither Rob, Desk in one corner for my wife, sofa in the other corner for relaxing/ reading/ TV watching. I could do modelling on the desk as it is a good size though. I have some left over cladding so will make an outdoor bar out of it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sf315 said:

Hope it worked ok. 

Judging by the photo above it did. 

Yes a brilliant tip, thanks for sharing. It did dawn on me afterwards that the 16t wagons I have are a mix of manufacturers, the 3 loads were all from one type of wagon so need to check they fit the others...

• Friendly/supportive 2

Peasevern Yard has a confirmed exhibition booking for 2021 and will appear at the Calne model railway show on 23/24 October 2021 and in a strange twist will make it's exhibition debut before the 4mm layout it replaces. Priority for the new year will be to make the fiddle yard and get the point control fixed so I can start the operational testing. 

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

Most of my recent modelling sessions have been working on adding to the scrap pile but as that is nearly finished I made some progress on the building to hide the control panel. Like a  number of parts of the layout they are a copy of Peafore Yard and draw heavily on the buildings around Avon Street and this one is no exception as it is inspired by the old wharf warehouse which was later used by a Scaffolding company. 

Like many of my scratchbuild buildings I  start with a frame made from mount card onto which cladding is added. The roof trusses came in a bag of raw material for the scrap pile and rather than cut them up I sat them aside and decided to put them to use although they won't actually be seen when the building is finished. 

20201220_160059.jpg.21c4707094357e4904bdee96130501f2.jpg

I made the building deeper than the 4mm version I built to hide the exit to the fiddle yard. The mouse hole at the bottom is for the point control rod as I am reverting to wire in tube control for this layout. I need to fix some wooden blocks on the inside so the building can be made removable.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Great work Rob - That whole scene is working really well.

Just remind me...are you going to have a Fiddle stick at one end or is the headshunt enough for a loco and a wagon?

Edited by bcnPete
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bcnPete said:

Great work Rob - That whole scene is working really well.

Just remind me...are you going to have a Fiddle stick at one end or is the headshunt enough for a loco and a wagon?

Thanks Pete, I am pleased how it is coming  together.

The plan is to have a full cassette fiddle yard at the station end. I have literally just made the frame, deck and legs for the fiddle yard but the principle is the same as that I used on Peafore yard and I will need to make an upper level cassette deck as well as the station track is live. As the O gauge cassettes would be by definition a lot longer than the 4mm cassettes,  I am having separate loco and wagon cassettes that join end to end. The loco cassettes will be 17inches long so the class 37 or a shunter and a brake van/ match wagon fit on it, while the stock cassettes will be 24 inches long so the 3 molasses tanks fit on. The overall Fiddle yard is 4ft long so in total the layout will be just under 9ft in its current form. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of the things I had been pondering since shifting to 7mm is stock storage, a question I asked recently on another thread.  The consensus seems to be trays for wagons with original boxes for locos.  A few of my wagons such as the brake van and Presflo don't have a box so a solution was required. While I was in our local B&Q earlier I took the opportunity to browse the storage section and saw these Kaze 10l boxes which are a B&Q own brand. They are a little tall but allow for plenty of padding. 

20201228_163145.jpg.dd7cad86c12df7e9b35dec038be7b0dc.jpg

The longer wheelbase wagons fit width ways and I managed to get my Heljan Molasses tanks in and the brake van. I placed some bubble wrap in the bottom and then made dividers out of cardboard wrapped in thinner bubble wrap

20201228_163158.jpg.e935b11b47821a67d27c040ac6d44e8c.jpg

The 16t Minerals go lengthways and that means I can get 6 in a box. I only bought 2 boxes today but will probably buy another one as I have some more wagons either in build or still in original boxes. The boxes stack well and handily fit in the IKEA cabinet that I use to hold the stock.

20201228_163131.jpg.57fc068ccb538adb29bfd2c86bf503d8.jpg

A creative plan is being hatched for the locos as the boxes for the 2 class 03s involves them being screwed to a wooden plinth which is not really suitable for my needs and the class 37 in its modified form doesn't fit in the Heljan box, more to follow...

• Like 7

4 hours ago, 37114 said:

One of the things I had been pondering since shifting to 7mm is stock storage, a question I asked recently on another thread.  The consensus seems to be trays for wagons with original boxes for locos.  A few of my wagons such as the brake van and Presflo don't have a box so a solution was required. While I was in our local B&Q earlier I took the opportunity to browse the storage section and saw these Kaze 10l boxes which are a B&Q own brand. They are a little tall but allow for plenty of padding. 

20201228_163145.jpg.dd7cad86c12df7e9b35dec038be7b0dc.jpg

The longer wheelbase wagons fit width ways and I managed to get my Heljan Molasses tanks in and the brake van. I placed some bubble wrap in the bottom and then made dividers out of cardboard wrapped in thinner bubble wrap

20201228_163158.jpg.e935b11b47821a67d27c040ac6d44e8c.jpg

The 16t Minerals go lengthways and that means I can get 6 in a box. I only bought 2 boxes today but will probably buy another one as I have some more wagons either in build or still in original boxes. The boxes stack well and handily fit in the IKEA cabinet that I use to hold the stock.

20201228_163131.jpg.57fc068ccb538adb29bfd2c86bf503d8.jpg

A creative plan is being hatched for the locos as the boxes for the 2 class 03s involves them being screwed to a wooden plinth which is not really suitable for my needs and the class 37 in its modified form doesn't fit in the Heljan box, more to follow...

Hi 37114,

I have read in a few Model Rail articles that bubble wrap isn't the best material to wrap models in, as there have been a few incedents where the bubble wrap actually sticks to the model and makes marks, especially if stored in hot temperatures.

My advice would be to use grey foam (used in a lot of model packaging) but you could use acid free paper wrapped around the model with a few sachets of sillica gel in the box (the latter sugestion is by George Dent).

I hope this may help.

Jules

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Departmental203 said:

Hi 37114,

I have read in a few Model Rail articles that bubble wrap isn't the best material to wrap models in, as there have been a few incedents where the bubble wrap actually sticks to the model and makes marks, especially if stored in hot temperatures.

My advice would be to use grey foam (used in a lot of model packaging) but you could use acid free paper wrapped around the model with a few sachets of sillica gel in the box (the latter sugestion is by George Dent).

I hope this may help.

Jules

Thanks Jules. I hadn't seen the article you mentioned so was interested to hear of others having problems. I have used bubble wrap in my 4mm boxes without issue for years, but I keep all my stock in a cupboard in the house rather than the loft or a shed which would be subjected to higher temperature. Either way I don't want to take the risk of problems...

9 hours ago, Regularity said:

Or put a piece of kitchen roll between model and bubble wrap.

I think that will be my immediate solution, longer term I will look at the potential for foam.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you are looking for a long term solution Rob, as a fellow newbie to 7mm scale I am using the foam inserts from Jon Burnham.

I have seen Jon at the Wycrail and Tolworth shows 2019 and I recall he does inserts for all scales as I bought a few off him for my 2mmFS rolling stock with plastic cases.

The 7mm ones can fit two within those ‘Really Useful Storage Boxes’ 48 Litre capacity. The length accommodates my old Lima Mk I coaches bought a few years ago so would have thought it should accommodate a class 37 too...hope so as I have one on order ;) 

Jon sometimes advertises on eBay and I have an email address for him - if of interest I can PM the deats.

569528B7-A792-4DDB-BE02-F1ED9F4FB53A.jpeg.ded3de763c4573d4bef15babe08a8d4b.jpeg

0831DF21-3FD2-4091-9EDE-F6C158F95DA6.jpeg.b56522cb95aa89c207e129509362cce3.jpeg

CBD798BD-1CC2-4B45-9F48-606E0CEFD63B.jpeg.c43e23d7116ed01dac703b2cfd044225.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, bcnPete said:

If you are looking for a long term solution Rob, as a fellow newbie to 7mm scale I am using the foam inserts from Jon Burnham.

I have seen Jon at the Wycrail and Tolworth shows 2019 and I recall he does inserts for all scales as I bought a few off him for my 2mmFS rolling stock with plastic cases.

The 7mm ones can fit two within those ‘Really Useful Storage Boxes’ 48 Litre capacity. The length accommodates my old Lima Mk I coaches bought a few years ago so would have thought it should accommodate a class 37 too...hope so as I have one on order ;) 

Jon sometimes advertises on eBay and I have an email address for him - if of interest I can PM the deats.

Thanks Pete, that would be great if you could send me Jon's details as they look worth exploring.

The issue with the 37 is not so much the size, it is more that the bogie detailing I have added such as the steps and the hand brake chains are vulnerable from side pressure if I use the original class 37 box. My plan is to build a bespoke box that will double up as a display board for home as well and then close up and clamp the 37 and 03' in place for transport. 

• Agree 1

Here’s what I store/ transport my models in this one is for Open wagons of 9 or 10 foot wheelbase. 

Its a really useful box the 3litre one it’s actual dimensions are not much bigger than a Dapol wagon box. It can hold six across with a wedge of kitchen roll to stop it rattling. The spacer for this one is plasticard but on subsequent ones I’ve cut cardboard ie Dapol boxes and kits boxes up and used gaffer tape to hold them together. The same size box can also hold four 12 ton vans with the top two lying down. 

I use other sizes for other stock and rather than Post here I’ll put some pics on Hillport Goods thread if anyone is interested. All my freight stock is stored in really useful boxes except the locos. 

Hope this helps 

Steve. 

39845E02-137E-405B-BE4A-C3863970DFAD.jpeg

• Like 3