Realtrack Models FLA Update

charliepetty

The one on the top is how i think the earlier MOL Looked, i haven't seen any like the one on the bottom as a high cube.

I thought the lower one of those two was the earlier scheme - could easily be wrong though.

So far I know of as "older" schemes:

1. Big beastie with "Mitsui OSK lines" written on a red box, base colour seems to be silver, 40's seem to commonly have a logo panel on the right hand side for putting the numbers on. There's a couple on an industrial estate nearby that I really need to go and ask if I can photograph...PS - if anyone wants to do this scheme on a 20' Arran already does the decals... ;)

2. Little beastie on a vertical blue band on the left hand logo panel position (whether the box has a logo panel or not) - MOL lettering also on that panel instead of the written name. Boxes seem to be light grey not silver.

I *think* those two came in that order, as the blue stripe scheme seems to appear on boxes with (as in your pic) and without logo panels.

Then three more modern schemes.

1. Big beastie, big billboard MOL initials on a dark green box. Sorry, the best photo I have is pretty bad: http://thehumblebox.fotopic.net/p55341456.html

2. No beastie (actually it's still on the door end, just not on the sides) but MOL initials on sort of a blue/white/blue set of boxes. Boxes are now in a darker grey. Gives the impression they got an image consultant in who couldn't stand to leave anything as interesting as a beastie on the side of it. ;)

3. Back to the big beastie and big billboard MOL but now on the darker grey box.

I'm not sure which is actually their current scheme, my suspicion (maybe my hope!) is it's that they got a negative reaction to the faceless blue boxes and the current scheme is the third of those, the one you guys have modelled.

Anyhow, plenty like that around so a good choice for the model.

Just out of interest on the subject of older schemes like those old MOL ones, have you had much interest in producing such "period" intermodal items? What do sectorisation modellers load their intermodal trains with?

It's not something i'm in the market for personally but I suspect I know where Jim is coming for with his suggestion, I think his layout might end up going far enough to the right to need a big stack of mid-1980s condition boxes... ;)

This Latek looks interesting http://thehumblebox..../p55341397.html

EDIT sorry it's a 45 foot

Yep it's a palletwide 45', might be do-able on the Dapol 45' - but on the other hand that's the only one i've ever seen so i'm not sure how representative that is - very funky though!

Back to Arran's high cubes, how about a TEX and a TRITON in boring brown as an FLA load - suitable for any train to any port, and my rough guesstimate would be that as much as a third of all wagon loads on most trains are these kinds of low-vis leasers?

Almost a "moving scenery" effect within your intermodal train?

.....how about a TEX and a TRITON in boring brown as an FLA load - suitable for any train to any port, and my rough guesstimate would be that as much as a third of all wagon loads on most trains are these kinds of low-vis leasers?

Spot on Martyn. The boring Brown ones are very common and sadly lacking in off-the-shelf model form.

At the other end of the spectrum are the very brightly painted branded ones, which are in abundance in model form, but more rare in the real world.

Spot on Martyn. The boring Brown ones are very common and sadly lacking in off-the-shelf model form.

At the other end of the spectrum are the very brightly painted branded ones, which are in abundance in model form, but more rare in the real world.

Would agree with this from a Bachmann (and C-Rail so far) point of view but, Dapol have done a few 'plain boring' brown ones.

You're right, I think I have a Florens box from Dapol which would fit that category - my impression though is that so far Arran's have generally had better presentation and better attention to detail, sharper lettering, more accurate logo's and colours, that kind of thing.

You're right, I think I have a Florens box from Dapol which would fit that category - my impression though is that so far Arran's have generally had better presentation and better attention to detail, sharper lettering, more accurate logo's and colours, that kind of thing.

Would fully agree with this also, some of Dapol's colour's have been way off, but can be used as a faded well used old container, the old addage 'you get what you pay for....' springs to mind.

NYK, P&O Nedlloyd .............. please !

Both already available from CRail.

Dapol did a plain TRLU High Cube with the MSC as well as the almost plain Florens + Cosco set. I'm not keen on their pairings, there always seems to be one you want and one you don't but then it does provide plenty of spares to use the CRail paint and transfers on!

Another plainish livery is Gateway and unbranded versions of the APL already done are quite common. I do wonder how well unbranded boxes would sell.

Graham

Yes i've also been using the unwanted Dapol liveries as decalling fodder!

Was thinking that something like TEX/Triton bundled with the flat then means that Arran doesn't get left with a pile of unsold boxes due to everyone buying the pretty ones first? Would have thought they would sell with a flat, particularly if this first run is the only time they will be produced as empties.

Both already available from CRail.

Dapol did a plain TRLU High Cube with the MSC as well as the almost plain Florens + Cosco set. I'm not keen on their pairings, there always seems to be one you want and one you don't but then it does provide plenty of spares to use the CRail paint and transfers on!

Another plainish livery is Gateway and unbranded versions of the APL already done are quite common. I do wonder how well unbranded boxes would sell.

Graham

Dapol seem to be persisting with the 'less popular' containers first pressumably to leave the colourfull ones for later on, but, it may backfire, as most modeller's container trains are getting full and C-Rail are providing the bright, colourfull containers that intermodal modellers seem to want to put on their trains.

I have found myself not buying a Dapol pair because of one of the pair, after all there are only so many containers you can buy/need.

Impressed by the boxes they come in!!!

The wagons are very nice too. A very clever approach to the bogies, lesson for Dapol there methinks. Neat detail, finish and printing, like the inter pair brake pipe. CRail containers will benefit from having the sockets opened up a bit, Dapol fit on ok and it may be worth fixing the containers on to these otherwise your train might arrive with a few less than it departed! One pair has slightly droopy ends which puts the coupler dropper below rail height, fixing the containers will sort this. The fixed bogie sideframes can be adjusted easily, a couple weren't quite straight.

Underfloor detail is basic and limited to a rather undernourished air cylinder and a distributor, there is no pipework. External pipework etc is all there. A few items to touch in with white are the lamp brackets, brake indicators and the brake release pull handles, the boxes on the buffer beams are yellow. FLAs are most likely to be seen though in a fetching shade of dirt!

Out of the box they're not the freest runners, may improve with use or a little graphite lubrication maybe. Nothing that a Bachmann Fred can't handle though!

Thanks to the Realtrack team for producing these and filling another gap in the intermodal fleet. I'll certainly be buying some more.

Graham

• RMweb Gold

Impressive start for a new RTR company and very well presented in the box. I like that the pair come fixed so you don't have to mess around with tiny screws like on the Dapol FEA wagons. The printing of the Freightliner logo does seem a little light and I have encountered one problem with the wagons so far - as my layout has cosmetic Peco 3rd rail the black moulding at the side of the bogies fouls the third rail meaning I can't run the wagons on my layout until I find a solution. It may possibly be due to 3 of the 8 bogie sides not being straight, will investigate further when I have the chance.

I have encountered one problem with the wagons so far - as my layout has cosmetic Peco 3rd rail the black moulding at the side of the bogies fouls the third rail meaning I can't run the wagons on my layout until I find a solution. It may possibly be due to 3 of the 8 bogie sides not being straight, will investigate further when I have the chance.

They can be manipulated into the correct position, be gentle!

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations Arran & Charlie a superb first model I can't see any advantage to undertake detail that can't be seen from the lineside as these are so low. Anything only seen when you take it off the track is extra cost for no reason. A box that's long enough to take the assembled wagon is a real plus too.

Next Outing for kissing the REALTRACK team (Well Charlie)and for having a good look at the FLA's is Wakefield (This Weekend), Darlington

(Next Weekend & Wigan (The weekend after). Shops with stock of the FLA's as of this Friday are: Kernow (Cornwall), Replica Railways (Swindon), Howes (Oxford), Darlington Railway Modelling, Durham Trains of Stanley, Keytes of Essex, John Dutfield (Chelmsford), Scograil (Ipswich), Frizinghall Model Railways (Bradford), JDM Models (Settle N Yorkshire), Bournemouth Model Railway Centre, The Signalbox Anstey (Leicester), East Somerset Railway, The Engine Shed, Leytonstone (E.London), Trains for U (Peterborough), Arcadia (Oldham), Harburn Hobbies (Edinburgh).

CONTAINER NEWS

The Hapag Lloyd, MOL and the 20ft Trifleet tank Container will be here for BRM Doncaster & Modelrail Scotland. The FLA's will be at this event!

Arran & Charlie

They are nice wagons, I have had problems with derailment, can the couplings be changed ?

The coupling hook doesn't seem to allow any slack with an adjoining Bachmann or Dapol coupling.

I had a quick go at removing one but its really tight and didn't want to damage the mechanism.

Archived