Jump to content

GWR-King

Nelevator in OO

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Denbridge said:

I had to keep hassling to obtain my refund. Took months,  but I got it in the end.

 

That's disappointing - I really hope they do get these issues sorted as it's a good looking product, having seen it in action at Ally Pally on several occasions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, polybear said:

 

That's disappointing - I really hope they do get these issues sorted as it's a good looking product, having seen it in action at Ally Pally on several occasions

 

I agree. I do wish guys would realise that good customer service and communication is every bit as important as a good product and if you have an issue, let people know and keep them aware of what is happening. If everything fails in the end, then customers should get a full refund. It's up to the manufacturer to have sufficient working capital to cover the development costs.

 

Like you, I really hope they are able to overcome the issues and get product out the door. It is an innovative product and one that deserves a place in the market.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m glad I didn’t order one now, when I enquired about one I was told it would be months before I got it. But now in hindsight this item did not meet my needs and I have seen different systems of the same theme. Paternoster style 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andymsa said:

I’m glad I didn’t order one now, when I enquired about one I was told it would be months before I got it. But now in hindsight this item did not meet my needs and I have seen different systems of the same theme. Paternoster style 

Can you point us in the direction of the alternatives please.    The Nelevator looks like a great idea but where is the fun in buying one when you can build your own "improved" version for about the same money in about the same delivery time and have all the fun of trying to make it work?   I quite fancy a single track lift to drop trains from one hidden road down to a fan of hidden sidings 12" down to avoid my present lack of headroom and 1 in 24 ish gradients

Then again for my needs it needs to be 8 of 9 feet long so I.m looking for ideas to plagiarise/improve/ruin.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DavidCBroad said:

Can you point us in the direction of the alternatives please.    The Nelevator looks like a great idea but where is the fun in buying one when you can build your own "improved" version for about the same money in about the same delivery time and have all the fun of trying to make it work?   I quite fancy a single track lift to drop trains from one hidden road down to a fan of hidden sidings 12" down to avoid my present lack of headroom and 1 in 24 ish gradients

Then again for my needs it needs to be 8 of 9 feet long so I.m looking for ideas to plagiarise/improve/ruin.


it was something I have seen at the Dortmund show in April, I’m intending to go again next year so will see if I can see it again. It was quite more expensive than the nelevator.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about my earlier suggestion of a Paternoster type of mechanism?

All the height would be beneath the layout, apart from the over the top bit, unlike the Nelevator. It would always rotate in the same direction.

Any takers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Nelevator was a paternoster system.....or maybe I’ve misunderstood.

 

Reminds me when I was a rep in electronics and went to one of the large electronics companies (Racal or GEC Marconi) which I think was in Hemel Hempstead?  As an 18 year old, I’d never seen one before and it was a little scary stepping into an open cavity wondering what would happen if you didn’t get out and went over the top.

 

Anyone else remember paternoster lifts?

 

Health and Safety would have a field day now......

 

Edit: Seems they were all but phased out in 1974...

 

 

 

Edited by gordon s
  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, melmerby said:

What about my earlier suggestion of a Paternoster type of mechanism?

All the height would be beneath the layout, apart from the over the top bit, unlike the Nelevator. It would always rotate in the same direction.

Any takers?

 

IIRC, there was a version of a rotating fiddle yard, featured on the Train-Safe web site. It used the Train-Safe model train storage tubes.

The storage tubes stayed upright as they rotated over the top and under the bottom, ensuring the trains stayed in place on their tracks.

It's no longer on the web site and I don't think they ever produced it for general sale.

 

I have seen another rotating fiddle yard online, somewhere a few years ago.

 

I think it's unnecessary complication compared with a straight up and down, which can be multitrack on each level.

For example....

5 decks of 4 tracks = 20 storage lines

6 decks of 5 tracks = 30 storage lines

etc, etc.

 

 

 

LokLift-seitliche-Ansicht.png

 

muetm.jpg

 

Loklift-4.jpg

 

lift5.jpg  s-l500.jpg

 

lift_hoog.jpg

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a clip of a paternoster style storage unit at about 8 minutes in this video;

 

 

There must be a locking system at the ends to accurately align and switch power to the chosen track, all 30 of them.

 

Clearly a project for a whole weekend rather than  just up to tea time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rotating storage is seen about 8 minutes in to that video.

 

The forced labour camp section isn't due to be completed until 2021.

 

 

.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the advantage of a Paternoster is that there isn't a massive pile of tracks sticking up above the layout, that's why I would never consider a Nelevator.

The whole above baseboard bit could be hidden behind a building etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bring back Meccano - A No 9 set,some 2" x 1" and a bit of imagination should build one !!!!

 

1948_09_FC1.jpg

 

Brit15

  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was working for the Home Office as a radio engineer wireless technician (I love their way of describing it), we eventually were privatised. Around that time we  took on commercial contracts, one was for the local Ambulance Service in Cambridgeshire. This entailed visiting a new (to us) radio site located on the top of Peterborough Hospital, close to PN station. Date must have been around 1990. On the 1st visit, we walked into the main entrance, and were confronted by a paternoster - I'd never seen one before ! We were well loaded with tool bags and test equipment but managed to scramble on - and off, that was fun. I visited a number of times and became confident in using it, even going over the top and round the bottom, just for the fun of it. The last time I visited must have been around 200, when I found it had bee removed.

 

Stewart

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

 

IIRC, there was a version of a rotating fiddle yard, featured on the Train-Safe web site. It used the Train-Safe model train storage tubes.

The storage tubes stayed upright as they rotated over the top and under the bottom, ensuring the trains stayed in place on their tracks.

It's no longer on the web site and I don't think they ever produced it for general sale.

 

I have seen another rotating fiddle yard online, somewhere a few years ago.

 

I think it's unnecessary complication compared with a straight up and down, which can be multitrack on each level.

For example....

5 decks of 4 tracks = 20 storage lines

6 decks of 5 tracks = 30 storage lines

etc, etc.

 

 

 

LokLift-seitliche-Ansicht.png

 

muetm.jpg

 

Loklift-4.jpg

 

lift5.jpg  s-l500.jpg

 

lift_hoog.jpg


 

yes I saw the train safe one as well at Dortmund it was rather impressive, obviously they must have had issues with it and it was rather large across its width.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

I see the advantage of a Paternoster is that there isn't a massive pile of tracks sticking up above the layout, that's why I would never consider a Nelevator.

The whole above baseboard bit could be hidden behind a building etc.

 

The Proses lift appears to be designed to sit entirely below the layout (top deck).

It looks like the idea of this lift is not to store locos/trains on, but to use it like a vertical traverser, carrying trains to/from storage sidings located on 2 levels below the layout.

 

multistory-loco-park-lift.jpg

Here's an image of another vertical traverser....

 

manus11_modellbahnlift_1.jpg

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, polybear said:

 

That's disappointing - I really hope they do get these issues sorted as it's a good looking product, having seen it in action at Ally Pally on several occasions

They have also stated that the oo versions have weight handling issues, particularly the 6' version. I did a quick calculation and concluded it was totally unsuitable for me, given that the majority of my stock is metal built. Indeed it worked out that 4 full length trains would be more than the elevator could handle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

I see the advantage of a Paternoster is that there isn't a massive pile of tracks sticking up above the layout, that's why I would never consider a Nelevator.

The whole above baseboard bit could be hidden behind a building etc.

Hi,

 

Another advantage of a Paternoster model train elevator is that the tracks/horizontal supports and trains are to a certain extent counter balancing one another (left vs right).

 

However they tend to be suspended from chains which are of course only as strong as their weakest link.

Maybe a Paternoster system could be made with guide rails either end but I'm not sure how the sharp radii at the tops and bottom of the lift would be engineered.

 

 

Regards

 

Nick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Andymsa said:


it was something I have seen at the Dortmund show in April, I’m intending to go again next year so will see if I can see it again. It was quite more expensive than the nelevator.

 

 

Yes, that was quite impressive, but about Euro3000!

 

 

Jon

IMG_20190405_102407.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the one.  :good_mini:

It's a beast. 

Would take up half the layout room for most people.

 

 

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was another manufacturer in the same hall at the other end if I remember correctly.

 

the train safe one reminded me of sprirograph

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

.....the train safe one reminded me of sprirograph


That shows your age ! 
:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.