Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Fire extinguishers for layout rooms/ lofts

On 19/12/2019 at 18:33, muddy water said:

Powder or foam is best? considering  loft can be classed as confined spaces.

If the fire is severe enough to require either a powder or foam exterior then you should be getting the hell out of there and dialling 999, this is why I have a small CO2 extinguisher just inside the door. A short blast to extinguish a small fire wont be a problem and as stated above if you need to empty the extinguisher then the fire is too big and you should have already left the room.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Adam88 said:

134225.jpg

You need one of these

I'd be proud if I could do that :jester:

It's worth installing a couple of smoke alarms in your "railway room" if you have one (one of each type):

Ionisation: These are the cheapest and cost very little to purchase. They are very sensitive to small particles of smoke produced by fast flaming fires, such as paper and wood, and will detect this type of fire before the smoke gets too thick. They are marginally less sensitive to slow burning and smouldering fires which give off larger quantities of smoke before flaming occurs. They can also be too over-sensitive near kitchens.

Optical: These are more expensive but more effective at detecting larger particles of smoke produced by slow-burning fires, such as smouldering foam-filled upholstery and overheated PVC wiring. They are marginally less sensitive to fast flaming fires. Optical alarms can be installed near (not in) kitchens, as they are less likely than ionisation alarms to go off when toast is burned.

I live in a three bed terraced house and have ten smoke alarms* (the thought of losing my home to fire horrifies me) - this includes one in the Airing Cupboard, since there is plenty of leccy gear in there (pump, controller, valves etc) as well as nice dry sheets etc. to act as a fuel; get a fire going in there and it'll light up the loft before you have a clue what's going on.  It also happens to be right at the foot of my bed...

* The one in the Kitchen is actually a Heat Alarm, since Ionisation Alarms can be damaged by airborne cooking particles apparently (as well as going off every time you burn the toast)

Just to add to the what to use conundrum, we had recommended by fire fighters staying at my bed and breakfast water mist fire extinguishers ! More research was done before buying these water mist extinguishers but you can even use them on switched ON TVs washing machines with no risk of shock note NOT normal water extinguishers but water MIST extinguishers but best advise was GET OUT!

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, polybear said:

They can also be too over-sensitive near kitchens.

I have one of those.  As do the other flats in our block.  We refer to them as the toast alarms.  Better safe than sorry however and we all know to open the windows when toasting and to close the inner door and open the outer when frying.

There are laws now requiring smoke alarms in residential properties.  These will vary by country and best advice is to check where you live for what is required.  If you rent then it is the landlord's responsibility to supply, fit and service the alarm(s) and ensure they are tested at least annually.  

I have a number of smoke detectors in the house and a ABC powder extinguisher in the cellar near to the door (this is where the layout is). Yes powder extinguishers make a mess but nothing in comparison to a fire. Don't forget paints, glue and of course the plastics used on model railways can give off toxic fumes which can take effect VERY quickly. If aerosols have been in a fire then you have a bomb, don't take risks always get the professionals out. They have thermal cameras that can show hot spots that might reignite or fires in voids etc.

Mark

On a lighter note, how many relationships will last if you spend time on saving your train set and not your wife and kids.

Never mind what the insurance say, what would the other half have to say.

On a serious note, if it's a loft or small room layout always take note of your escape route if things get out of hand.

On 23/12/2019 at 12:58, mwrosebury2000 said:

I have a number of smoke detectors in the house and a ABC powder extinguisher in the cellar near to the door (this is where the layout is). Yes powder extinguishers make a mess but nothing in comparison to a fire. Don't forget paints, glue and of course the plastics used on model railways can give off toxic fumes which can take effect VERY quickly. If aerosols have been in a fire then you have a bomb, don't take risks always get the professionals out. They have thermal cameras that can show hot spots that might reignite or fires in voids etc.

Mark

From the original post that started this topic. The plumber did call the fire brigade who checked out the loft space and I guess scanned for any hot spots. (I was not present at the time) .

So calling the fire brigade even if you think you have put out a fire in a loft space is a good idea!

Nothing worse than going to bed and it reignites the fire in the middle of the night!

1 hour ago, muddy water said:

From the original post that started this topic. The plumber did call the fire brigade who checked out the loft space and I guess scanned for any hot spots. (I was not present at the time) .

So calling the fire brigade even if you think you have put out a fire in a loft space is a good idea!

Nothing worse than going to bed and it reignites the fire in the middle of the night!

Yes there is...being the fire department that responds to the 2nd call out at the same address that you declared was fire free...good thing, it hasn't happened to me yet.

The Tudor House in Esquimalt had the fire department in 3 days before it burned to the ground...they knew there was a fire, but couldn't find it anywhere.  City of Victoria did it to a hotel in the not distant past too... (not the one downtown earlier in the year)

In seriousness, a fire extinguisher will work very well on an incipient fire start that is observed.  Like dropping the blowtorch onto something and having it light, or a kitchen fire that starts on the stove.  It won't work on a fire that has gotten into the structure of the house...and if there is any doubt, call for the fire department.  There is NOTHING in your house worth someone's life...

Proudly volunteering for 15 years,

Lt James Powell, Shirley Volunteer Fire Department, Shirley BC

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Don't use foam extinguishers - the foam is, from what I understand, caustic (or can react with stuff to become caustic), and so ruins whatever you used it on.

Also don't keep a powder extinguisher in a car, or if you do, make sure you get it serviced even more regularly than usual - the bumps and vibrations can cause the powder to settle and then not release when you try to use it...

• Informative/Useful 1