Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Fire extinguishers for layout rooms/ lofts

My parents were having their central heating system changed in their house. The plumber was changing the pipe layout in the airing cupboard which leads up into the loft to the large cold water tank. Using a blow torch to solder the joints. It was a windy day and the flame got drawn up through one of the holes. This caught on to some combustible debris and set the rafters on fire!

Lucky the plumber was quick thinking and raced up into the loft with a bucket. Using the readily available water tank he was able to extinguish the flames.

The battens and some tiles had to be replaced.

This has got me thinking.

What type and size of fire extinguishers would be right to have in loft/ layout rooms to bring a fire under control?

I would recommend powder and a fire blanket as well. In the case of using a blow torch for large soldering jobs have an old fairy liquid bottle with water in it, in the event you drop the torch or set fire to something then you can squirt water on it quickly (assuming not electrics). In the garage I have powder and foam but that is partly because the Land Rover lives in there as well

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

In the case of clubroom I suggest you contact a professional f company that will survey your clubrooms.

They will take into consideration the materials you use and risks.

I think if you rent or lease a property this will be a requirement, if you own the property it will almost certainly required by your insurers.

We have ours checked on a annual basis at our cost.

Terry Robinson

Clubroom Manager 

Stafford Railway Circle 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Remember that an extinguisher is only there to fight very small fires and the general rule is that if you need more than one you need to be getting out. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi 

A1k powder extinguisher should be okay, I Would also have a smoke detector with remote indication I.e indicator at the access point to the loft. Also a master electrical cut out switch just to be safe .

The fire blanket is not safe as its a smother device ,the base board could be smouldering below .

In apast life I designed fire alarm systems. 

Try ray the local fire company for training on how to use the extingusher and don't forget to get it serviced anually

Derek 19b

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm lucky I was able to get a variety of full size extinguishers for free,  my choice for a single extinguisher would always be blue,  dry powder.  It can cope with almost anything, without killing you with a short circuit . As it is I've also got co2 .

For most people a 1kg would be fine,  you should be putting out fires that have occurred while you are there.  If you've walked into a room with an established fire it's probably too late,  shut the door, leave... 999...

Unless you use a gas soldering iron it's actually hard to set fire to a layout these days,  the number of fires in the UK has dropped roughly in line with the number of smokers. 

One  important thing is to have an RCD in the mains somewhere,  and have your PSU correctly fused.  so if a PSU blew it would cut the power and not keep heating the failed psu.

I PAT test donated PSUs given to the club to sell,  I would reckon over fifty percent have a 13Amp fuse fitted when it should be 1A or 3A.

The other thing is if you're not there,  turn it off,  especially any heaters in a shed or  loft  putting a time limit timer on your shed heater is a good idea. Tubular permanent heaters should have a thermostat and be placed so there is always clear air around it and nothing can fall on it.

As it is we've used one fire extinguisher 

One blue was used when SWMBO set fire to the lawnmower mower refuelling with a hot engine.. ..  Since the extinguishers are near the door of the garage,  she was able to put out the flames without damaging the mower. ( Mower was outside) 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Great sound advice!

When I did my loft , I fitted a double pole switch to isolate the power from the 1st floor.

The smoke alarm makes sense. Having one on every level of your house will help.

Though you might have to cover it whilst you are airbrushing! ( don’t forget to uncover it when you have finished!)

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, muddy water said:

Colink

What size did you get? 1kg?

Yes.  My main concern was electrical items overheating and a hot soldering iron - I did drop it once and with a reflex action caught it before it hit the carpet - but I caught it by the hot end. Ouch.  I was also very careful to make sure everything was switched off and the blinds were closed before leaving the loft. In my current house the front room downstairs is my railway room.

11 hours ago, TheQ said:

my choice for a single extinguisher would always be blue,  dry powder. 

All extinguishers should be red. 

If you really want proper advice, drop by your local fire station who will tell you Powder is suitable but will leave a mess so buy a  CO2. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, sulzer27jd said:

All extinguishers should be red. 

If you really want proper advice, drop by your local fire station who will tell you Powder is suitable but will leave a mess so buy a  CO2. 

CO2 ( black band) is used for electrical fires and class B flammable  liquids and is probably the least useful  fire extinguisher in a house or shed.

I was referring to the colour band which denotes the contents of the fire extinguisher. You should know the contents before you use an extinguisher. 

By the way I am fire trained I have put out as part of a team many fires,  and driven fire engines ( landrover) in anger.. 

C230.jpg

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
On 19/12/2019 at 15:49, muddy water said:

What type and size of fire extinguishers would be right to have in loft/ layout rooms to bring a fire under control?

As I am also fire trained and have put out fires in anger (including one at Charing Cross station whilst employed there and before the fire brigade arrived) my opinion might be worth something.  

For layouts and generally around the home a standard water extinguisher is probably the most common.  It must NOT be used on live electrical equipment but those extinguishers which can - the dry powder ones - make a great deal of mess.  However if you feel the need for a one-fits-all option the dry powder extinguisher should be your choice.  It is worth a check with your insurer what if any requirements they have; smoke alarms are required but some also insist on you having an extinguisher or fire blanket too.

Model railways use only low voltage beyond the transformer.  Household electrical items and wiring have a potential to cause fire but the power can sometimes be switched off smartly at the board before tackling the problem.   

You might still find old extinguishers coloured black, blue, cream, yellow or green.  These colours have been replaced by the bands on current models.  Just like food products fire extinguishers have a "use-by" life on their contents and should be replaced or professionally re-charged if beyond that date.  These old extinguishers may also contain substances which can be harmful in confined spaces such as a room indoors.  I accidentally suffered a mild BCF poisoning during training of all things.  If you are not sure DO NOT USE an extinguisher - call 999.  

If the fire is larger or you feel unable to deal with it then call the fire brigade first before getting all persons out of the house.  Never ever take risks.  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Baby Deltic said:

If you drop your lit pipe whilst studying your plans and scale drawings, a cup of tea should suffice to quench any burning tobacco.

So pipe smoking requires tea drinking.

I do not smoke, so I am more likely to drench the plans by knocking over the cup of tea!

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Baby Deltic said:

If you have a fire hydrant outside your house like me, a standpipe key and bar, 2 reels of 70mm lay-flat hose and a controlled branch would be handy.

Great idea, but is it not illegal to take water from a hydrant without a green metered stand pipe? The water company will understand what you are using it for and still send you a bill!

I would advise three things:

1) A fire blanket, easily obtained and good for a lifetime, which should easily smother any fire that is likely on a model railway.

2) If you are doing things that might result in smouldering (soldering with a blow torch, for example), a spray bottle (eg a former bottle of window cleaner well-rinsed and refilled with water) is easy to keep handy and use in case of necessity.

3) If you have electrical circuits that may carry hefty currents (notably DCC), fit an easily accessible switch that will kill the mains supply instantly if you observe a short-circuit potentially causing a fire.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

With respect to all the posts so far......if you actually still have a 'local' Fire Station, then the local Brigade Rep. will be happy to come and give your whole  property the once over and give advice as well as strategies for evacuation. Unlike Rees Mogg, I would suggest you listen to the professionals in this particular situation and I am sure that advice will echo much of what has been stated here.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Agree 1