Chippenham - The Work Bench

Bluemonkey presents....

• RMweb Gold
On 19/02/2021 at 13:30, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

The loco coal wagon has been detailed and 'dirtied' inside just working up to dirtying the outside but as this will be permanent and damaging to the the transfers I need to get brave for that especially as this will also be my first

Do you varnish the wagons before weathering? That will protect the transfers and allow you some leeway in cleaning up if you think you have gone too far or just not happy with it.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, 57xx said:

Do you varnish the wagons before weathering? That will protect the transfers and allow you some leeway in cleaning up if you think you have gone too far or just not happy with it.

I have given the wagons a coat of Dullcote. Hopefully things will be ok using ink washes rather than paint.

@57xx  This is the effects so far from two washes with  Citadel Nuln Oil. I am happy with it for internal but for me this is too much for external. the pictures of wagons I have seen generally appear to be clean in service until 1930s+. My aim on the N13/20 is 20s so a little cleaner I think. A single wash and wipe should cover the areas that are poor and also collected in areas to draw out details like the rivets and panel joins. At least this is my hope and aim, just a smidge.

I will post pictures for full critique once finished, all comments are welcome.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

@Mikkel As promised a pictorial size comparison of the two cattle wagons, so far. There is a decent size difference and once painted the different should appear even more.

DSCF0099.JPG.a53eca732b1d68224428e71ba527d9d6.JPGDSCF0100.JPG.bae7f5529032738e83933cf5351cc64f.JPGDSCF0101.JPG.5ef3bb6979c239948c5b641ab4c69d81.JPGDSCF0102.JPG.fc35ed0de7b3402e34df672ef00784ac.JPG

Thanks Matt, that's a very clear illustration of the differences. The last picture is a bit disconcerting, they did things differently at Chippenham :D

• Funny 1

You are correct it is an N6 built from a David Geen kit but with lots of mods. If you are interested the weathering was carried out with powders from Forge World. I have PO wagons weathered with these. I have included pictures of these if they are of help. Before and after picture.

20170507_142705.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thank you @Bogusman appreciate the help. I think I will wait and use powders when I have some rather than rushing. I think they look more realistic than I fear my wash would look. Any suggestions to colour/mixes etc please? Do you fix the powders, if at all. This could be the difference for me though as my wagons will be in storage often and may have the powders rubbed off or marks made.

Spent an hour yesterday removing the cattle wagon parts from the sprues and cleaning up. Not that there is not much flash to clean the Cooper craft mouldings are superb and to think they are not newly moulded! This morning I got the chopping board out. Here's a little sequence of the progression;

DSCF0105.JPG.951f3292c5ebffe5cea8c616c1f53fac.JPGDSCF0106.JPG.a451b084bbbaf3a024de7fcbceab23bd.JPG 

DSCF0107.JPG.76d8decb66a89077b7a0bba1e5ecd845.JPGDSCF0108.JPG.0c14f3c43c4a3b873076e7c0c3039305.JPG

The idea is to reduce the height of the ends but to keep the cross brace centred. It would have been straight for to just cut the appropriate amount from the end but would produce a off centre cross brace that would eventually grate. At this stage I had forgotten my initial intention was to keep the full vertical supports!!! :jester:

Not distracted, the buffer beam is fixed to the floor using the pips as per kit design the larger piece of the wagon end is then fixed. As the cuts have been made on the plank join with careful welding the joining is hidden.

DSCF0110.JPG.af6296750a4f1ed0e23130c76413c866.JPGDSCF0111.JPG.d501a483e0655dc6aef7b29390923623.JPG

Up rights carefully welded back in place. I have a tendency when batch building or chopping things to keep all the associate parts together even if building 6 wagons the same each one would be grouped.   

DSCF0112.JPG.9384394877ae795647c4a9c4ec2dd1fb.JPGDSCF0113.JPG.01e429e8824eade39e3e579df29d1e27.JPG

The inner planks for the wagon are scribed deeper as the kit has positive lines to represent plank joins rather than negative. It is also clear the planks do not correspond outer to inner or inner side to inner end which is a little annoying. Something I would change if I was to made another by by rubbing down and completely rescribbing and aligning.

DSCF0109.JPG.9a6b57e314c01b059c7268499772684d.JPG       The original intention was use some brass strip as the wrap around top but this proved too thin so I will have

to use some some styrene to form this but I have used the intended brass as the top ledge of the wagon opening.

DSCF0114.JPG.b8f7c0dbfc4139300bd1adf594c1e495.JPG   So this is the basic wagon body. Vertical supports are required in the corners and midpoint between the doors

and corners. I have the left over mink bodies available for this in an attempt to preserve a similar rivet appearance. Every other rivet needs to be carefully removed with removing one's fingers tips.

DSCF0115.JPG.e71234e5b707d6e994a5c28dad2a5686.JPG  This will hopefully be completed this evening so everything can fully cure overnight before a little filler to finish.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

The powders are very easy to use and the thing I like most about them is they seem to stay put even if you handle them. Also if you want to remove them warm soapy water does the trick. As about storage all my stock are in stock boxes. I like your modeling on the cattle wagons. Have you read the MRJ articals on these wagons?

• Informative/Useful 1

21 minutes ago, Bogusman said:

The powders are very easy to use and the thing I like most about them is they seem to stay put even if you handle them. Also if you want to remove them warm soapy water does the trick. As about storage all my stock are in stock boxes. I like your modeling on the cattle wagons. Have you read the MRJ articals on these wagons?

Thank you for the tips. No, I dont think I have read the MRJ articles about cattle wagons. I have only have a subscription for a year or so so not read many issues.

Having looked at the source picture again I do not need to the rivet lengths but I can use them for the top angle as I am sure there would be an iron right angle bracket and a rivets either side.

Just a little filler and sanding then ready for the solebars, buffers wheels etc. Then a little colour, hmmmmmmm :scratchhead:

DSCF0116.JPG.62bb8dfa720a90fb5acec06be30560c3.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Somewhere, amongst the assorted dreck I believe that I have a drawing for a very short timber built cattle wagon that shares a lot of common details with the old Cooper craft kit.

I was going to make one about a thousand years ago, but I got distracted by the usual suspects.

I will have a look for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

No luck so far with the drawing. BUT a small version is to be had on pp185 of A history of GWR wagons, combined edition, by Atkins, Beard, Hyde and Tourret. It's a W3 MEX on an 8'6"wb chassis. There's enough detail there to convert another Cooper craft wagon. I could scan and PM you a copy if it helps?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Just a little filler and sanding then ready for the solebars.....

May I ask what filler you use? I’ve been using automotive knifing putty it’s good stuff but it doesn’t have a very long ‘open time’ 

11 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

May I ask what filler you use? I’ve been using automotive knifing putty it’s good stuff but it doesn’t have a very long ‘open time’ 

It is a tube of Revell Plasto filler. It does have a short use time before it starts to go off but decent enough for small jobs. I have got a tube of the Deluxe filler as a reserve once this one is finished but I am yet to open it so can not feedback on that one.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MrWolf said:

No luck so far with the drawing. BUT a small version is to be had on pp185 of A history of GWR wagons, combined edition, by Atkins, Beard, Hyde and Tourret. It's a W3 MEX on an 8'6"wb chassis. There's enough detail there to convert another Cooper craft wagon. I could scan and PM you a copy if it helps?

Yes please could be very useful. I am working from this picture;

DSCF0117.JPG.078082c6cf4cbd6a061bc5fab667f34f.JPG  My wagon is more of a representation rather than prototypical. 

• Like 1

Primed and ready for colour! I am pleased that I decided to hack the wagon ends to give a symmetrical appearance of the cross brace. The planking has worked nicely and changed lever brake and grease box representation works for me. Once primed the detail really stands out and anything that needs to be filled or  changed. I appreciate this is more of an 'if' rather than 'real' but I think it will fit in nicely. @MrWolf has also highlighted a potential W3 version for a small Mex could end up with the three bears on the cattle run. 

DSCF0121.JPG.742616807ecb256f8b651a3eea51d0a9.JPGDSCF0122.JPG.5343a27892d04f4b096dd0e2ecfa04d9.JPG

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Just spent three hours trying to spray the wagons, arghhhhhhhhhh, spend more time cleaning/clearing on two airbrushes (2mm and 4mm) than any actual painting. Must be me but what/where? The paint is almost too thin, pressure at 2bar. The paint is Vallejo colour so not rubbish and suitable to spray. 

I think it is drying to quickly in the airbrush thus blocking. Maybe a inhibitor or retarder? I just dunno!

Edited by Bluemonkey presents....
Any suggestion please? Anything greatly appreciated.
  • Friendly/supportive 2