Chippenham - The Work Bench

Bluemonkey presents....

lol name and number plates have been ordered!

Meanwhile finished off the N13 loco coal wagons although I think I have the wrong paint colour, oh well.

DSCF0071.JPG.e2f65e17164285d449168b5a830bf885.JPG   Found another kit whilst looking for some transfers so though I would make up an N20 for some difference.

It's subtle (apart from no wheels!) but once I have the transfers on it will look very different as the wagon 9669 carried something a little different to the norm, well at least the picture I have it does.

DSCF0072.JPG.e0d1371ac0f9e2f8596150e625f6c3f5.JPG  DSCF0073.JPG.a5fac5131aa3d7dc75d7c9cfd5800423.JPG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

I think I have the wrong paint colour

Do you mean it's too light? Well now that you mention it maybe a little, but not something that struck me when I looked at the photos. Not something to loose sleep about, I think?

Edited by Mikkel

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Meanwhile finished off the N13 loco coal wagons although I think I have the wrong paint colour, oh well.  

Yes, it's a shame the N13s were built after they stopped painting wagons red...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Do you mean it's too light? Well now that you mention it maybe a little, but not something that struck me when I looked at the photos. Not something to loose sleep about, I think?

Unfortunately they should be in black as departmental wagons so out with me brushes! Fingers crossed.

18 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Yes, it's a shame the N13s were built after they stopped painting wagons red...

Very true they would look very interesting in red, tempting but best not.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Unfortunately they should be in black as departmental wagons so out with me brushes!

In BR days, yes, but GWR days, still in dispute with no real firm evidence. Photos in Atkins et al seem to indicate dark grey, so I stick to dark GWR freight grey myself.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, 57xx said:

In BR days, yes, but GWR days, still in dispute with no real firm evidence. Photos in Atkins et al seem to indicate dark grey, so I stick to dark GWR freight grey myself.

Likewise as far as I can see from a evidence available, in the 40s at least everything went in GWR grey.  So that is what I’ve used on my PWay and Loco Coal wagons.   

I think there has long been a myth about non revenue wagons being black, no doubt originating with an error in an old magazine that has become fact in time, much like the nonsense about all assisting engines always being coupled on the inside of the express engine. 

edit: I’ve just checked photos at Didcot, looks like the GWS use grey, which is more than good enough for me.

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

42 minutes ago, 57xx said:

35 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Likewise as far as I can see from a evidence available, in the 40s at least everything went in GWR grey.  So that is what I’ve used on my PWay and Loco Coal wagons.   

I think there has long been a myth about non revenue wagons being black, no doubt originating with an error in an old magazine that has become fact in time, much like the nonsense about all assisting engines always being coupled on the inside of the express engine. 

edit: I’ve just checked photos at Didcot, looks like the GWS use grey, which is more than good enough for me.

Thanks Guys I am still a little lost here especially as J H Russell states whilst working for the Great western the Loco coal wagons he saw were definitely black.

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Thanks Guys I am still a little lost here especially as J H Russell states whilst working for the Great western the Loco coal wagons he saw were definitely black.

What were the dates of Russell's employment by the Great Western?

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

@Compound2632 I believe 1929-1945

Assuming he started on leaving school at 15, b. 1914. His Pictorial Record (1971) would have come out when he was 57; the most recent of his books seems to be 2002, when he would be 88 - so I suppose that adds up.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I took these at Didcot in 2013. I suppose it reflects a change of mind, or maybe 80688 came from somewhere else. 

DSC_9895.jpg.8a9cd6de63730db8c9280965c5a144db.jpg

DSC_9896.jpg.e07744b6e95b7c97e333d2f34455e9ea.jpg

As for the seemingly very light shade of grey on 80659, compare it to the photo in the link below of the same wagon on the Loco Yard blog. I don't know whether it has been repainted since then, but it does show just how tricky it is to pin down the right shade!

https://locoyard.com/2012/08/12/didcot-railway-centre/013-didcot-railway-centre-gw-wagon/

Edited by Mikkel
Corrected link description
  • Thanks 1

@Mikkel lol adding fuel to the fire, Captain.

I get the impression that the paint used was very very dark grey and depending on the person's eye for colour, the day light and how long the wagons had been in service decided what shade of black, dark grey, grey/black or black/grey they saw.

Real life does not always help the modeller.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I do wonder how much of the “black” loco coal wagons is down to weathering  (I note in Russell’s comments it is just loco coal that is referred to in black).  Given most coal wagons end up pretty black given the environment in which they work, a dark grey wagon covered in coal dust is always going to have a black ish tint once dirty.

Given that every other wagon or van (bar those that were insulated) were painted in grey, (including the all steel large revenue earning coal wagons) I can’t understand why the N series loco coal wagons would be black.  But having Russell explicitly call it out does add some credence to it. 

Once everything starts opening up again it would be interesting to see what Didcot have to say about the logic behind painting there’s.  I know it’s been mentioned in the rmweb tour how they have found a lot out about prior liveries when removing old paint in the restoration process.  Maybe @Castlemight be able to add more? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Given that every other wagon or van (bar those that were insulated) were painted in grey, (including the all steel large revenue earning coal wagons) I can’t understand why the N series loco coal wagons would be black.  

I can only offer that departmental may have been the difference between grey and black, similar to the grey and red?

• RMweb Gold

I've seen the JH Russell statements before, but never been convinced by the pics available.

There are some interesting pics on p240/1 of the new edition of Atkins et al of mineral wagons built by outside contractors. One is in black livery, another in a much lighter grey than normal, one mid grey with black iron work and a dark grey that could be misconstrued as black until you notice the black chalk panel on the top right corner. None of these are branded for departmental use though.

• Informative/Useful 3

Paint test on the existing freight grey wagons and it is not great. The coat of Testers acts like a waterproof coating so some of the paint separates and is too risky to apply to the wagons as it is likely to give a poor finish thus ruining the wagons. Weather later seems to be my only 'get out'. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

With Cyclops finished and away to a new owner and the loco coal wagon paint job still in the balance I noticed that thin slice of a wagon I started messing about with earlier. I always had it in mind to give it the GWR red treatment but what about, if any, letter and numbering. Yes the dreaded transfers materialise once more.

Whilst waiting for the varying paint layers and ink washes to dry I started flicking through the books in search of single plankers and the numbers. I spotted a lovely one plank wagon (probably in grey) but not on my lines, described as with a single wooden brake. This obviously interested me as it is something slightly different and maybe something I could muster up. The picture was of the far side so could not see the brake gear although a different type of wagon on the previous page also had a single brake so modeller's licence  gives me the opportunity to copy. Numbers etc sorted this morning a quick look on the interweb to see if I could a better picture of the brake gear although I had already conjured a plan. Feeling a little smug as well, as this is something very much out of the ordinary, I stumbled on this lovely blog; Scratchbuilt GWR one-plank wagon (1) & (2) - The Farthing layouts  by @Mikkel (sorry I can not copy the link in) for some reason).

This afternoon plan executed without the smugness although I am pleased with the end result just hope the transfers I have do not destroy it's final appearance.

DSCF0081.JPG.d880b233bf82e16e00858078150d41a7.JPG       DSCF0082.JPG.c5af690bcde9d3c60f058afa852cf1c2.JPG

Moral of the story is check the web before messing about. Whilst online though name and number plates ordered for Cyclops and Steropes   :excl::help::excl:     

Edited by Bluemonkey presents....
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4