class 31110 in 90s

rob D2

Hi,

can anyone tell me when 31110 was repainted into heritage green ?

Also where there any BS dutch 31/1s still going in the period 1996 -2000, I am thinking of the skinhead variety especially the named versions.

thanks,

Rob

Guest Phil

Hi,

can anyone tell me when 31110 was repainted into heritage green ?

Also where there any BS dutch 31/1s still going in the period 1996 -2000, I am thinking of the skinhead variety especially the named versions.

thanks,

Rob

You've raised an interesting question.

Although I was at Bescot during this time I didn't really concentrate on liveries. 31s were just a royal P.I.T.A to us, particularly the "weekenders" which closed the M6 due to exhaust fumes on friday afternoon when we tried to get them all ready for their weekend exertions.

I've had a bit of a browse on fotopic and they seem rarish. Not sure how long the RETB bracketed locos hung on for, but they would have been replaced by 37/4 anyway. The Bescot celeb skinheads 105-107 received TTG IIRC then were repainted Dutch.

Can't help with dates though.

This site claims 31110 was repainted in the summer of 1999 ;

http://www.thejunction.org.uk/cl31.html

31110 was still painted in (very tatty) dutch in July 1999 which is my last photo of it before it went green. 31113 was another skinhead still operational in dutch into 1999.

Of the other dutch Skinheads, only 31105 was painted TTG with Transrail logos (from dutch), 31106/107 were dutch when they were named and stayed that way until withdrawl (31107 in 1995 according to WNXX and 31106 was around the same time from memory).

Mike

31110 was oainted in Summer 1999 before going off the the ELR/EWS Heritage bash in September 99. There was an article in a recent traction magazine by 1 of the guys who drove the convoy and others from people who worked the event, I'll see if I can find them.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're after a Dutch Skinhead 31 to model from the 31110 body, 31144 and 31444 are your only choices - as both share the 'top hat' and different fan grilles as 31110 did in this period. B)

• 10 years later...