Newhaven Marine to close

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

So, my date was about right.

The reason the fact that the line was single sticks in my mind is that that create electrical challenges, which necessitated special electrical protection relays to make sure that faukts caused the circuit breakers to trip, and IIRC long lengths of old CR laid in the 4ft as supplementary return conductors.

Yes, and if I remember correctly, train consists comprising more than a specified number of motor bogies (I think it was 4) were not to be driven with the MC beyond the "Full Series" position between Newhaven Town and Seaford. 

Thanks for photos of the bridge. But I think it’s a huge shame about where it and the road have gone in. It’s a repeat of the ‘inner ring road’ in Newhaven itself: it just corrals the wasteland and ruins the hinterland. Development east of the harbour is creeping across Tidemills and ruining a unique stretch of coast - post industrial, brownfield maybe but lovely despite - while the rest of Newhaven is crumbling and ruined. The West Quay development did nothing for the harbour but block the view. And the incinerator is an eyesore from miles around ....

To revert - I tried to find a reason for the Pullman with Eastbourne headcode I posted.  Glyndebourne wasn’t running that time of year, couldn’t be Plumpton, wrong date, I though Lewes races but that closed a year or so before...

something in Eastbourne maybe: but couldn’t find anything. Ah well. 

• RMweb Gold

The scheduled installation of the bridge yesterday appears to have been postponed due to the lovely Ciara*. Looked at from the top of a No.12 bus passing along the A259, the extra large crane is there, but the bridge spans still seem to be be where they were parked. 

Weird word association Ciara - Kia-Ora - Corona - carry it on at your peril! You might go pop! It could be just wind or it might be a nasty virus.

Edited by phil_sutters
More whimsy!
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I am not sure if anyone has realised this yet but from the timetable change this Sunday, Newhaven Harbour becomes peak hours service only.

Give it a couple of years and I reckon it could be gone too.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, John M Upton said:

I am not sure if anyone has realised this yet but from the timetable change this Sunday, Newhaven Harbour becomes peak hours service only.

There is a fair amount of development going into the East Quay area, both in the port area and the adjacent industrial estate. I was down at Harbour a couple of weeks ago and there were about half a dozen passengers getting on trains to Seaford and Brighton around 5pm. This could grow if and when more employment comes to the area. That said, it is only about a ten minute walk to Newhaven Town.

The new aggregates terminal, accessed through the old Marine station site, can be seen in the Freight in Sussex thread. 

Edited by phil_sutters

22 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Supposedly to increase the turn-round time at Seaford, whilst on the West Coastway, the Brighton - Portsmouth / Southampton services are having extra stops inserted, reducing their times at either end!

Edited by EmporiaSub