A seagull (who has never seen the sea) perched on top of a free Railway Modeller gift.  Very simple to make and good fun to paint and weather.      

IMG_4540.JPG

• Like 9

Doesn't look like anyone has been in that she'd for a while! 

I'm a big fan of long disused sheds and garages. I am always curious as to whether there is anything interesting inside. Two weekends ago we rescued a 1951 Watsonian Ascot sports sidecar that had been entombed in a building that was bricked up in 1965. It was only a couple of streets away and we've been passing it almost daily for over a year and never knew until SWMBO answered an advert for a couple of old bicycles.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Doesn't look like anyone has been in that she'd for a while! 

I'm a big fan of long disused sheds and garages. I am always curious as to whether there is anything interesting inside. Two weekends ago we rescued a 1951 Watsonian Ascot sports sidecar that had been entombed in a building that was bricked up in 1965. It was only a couple of streets away and we've been passing it almost daily for over a year and never knew until SWMBO answered an advert for a couple of old bicycles.

No it is totally redundant, and who knows what mysteries it contains- probably mice and spiders, or maybe Lord Lucan's hideaway !

I am no expert on motorbikes or side cars, but that sounds like an amazing find.  You sometimes hear of old (now classic) cars entombed in old garages and sheds.  Simply been forgotten about, then suddenly discovered.         

Pullman train arrives at Platform 2 Dewchurch

IMG_4546.JPG

• Like 6

Another hut for loco shed staff, in this case the poor sods who cleaned the fires, smokeboxes etc., and disposed of the ash and clinker.  Harburn hobbies building repainted and weathered. 

IMG_0505.JPG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Warship Class 43 - Zealous leaves the refuelling point

IMG_4150.JPG

• Like 6

28xx - parked on the back road. at Dewchurch Loco Dept.  

IMG_3712.JPG

• Like 8

Bagging coal (at least the box van is in focus)

20200224_135223.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Gopher said:

Bagging coal (at least the box van is in focus)

20200224_135223.jpg

Helps show off the rather nice weathering job though.

• Thanks 1

More views of the Standard Class 4 heading for Dewchurch with a freight train. 

IMG_4216.JPG

IMG_4217.JPG

• Like 7

My new combine harvester.  Langley models white metal kit of a Massey Ferguson 735.  Smaller than the Oxford die-cast model it replaced, and more appropriate for the time period I model.  Bit of a sod to put together.  I missed off one of the guards (cover for one of the belt drives), on the basis that some farmers removed these for maintenance, and could not be arsed to put them back on  (days before health and safety) - well that and I found them  quite fiddly to fit to the model.   I also missed off the spring tines from the cutting wheel  (even more fiddly).

Managed to find a small figure in my spares box which makes a passable driver.   It makes a nicely detailed model   - but as I said a bit of a sod to build.           

IMG_4568.JPG

IMG_4569.JPG

IMG_4565.JPG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Awkward to put together or not, you have made a great job of it and the painting has really brought it to life. It looks like slightly battered 18 guage steel sheet, whereas some white metal models with shiny paint or dead flat paint look like 4 inch armour plating.

Thanks Mr Wolf, yes it just did not look right when it was pristine, so some good old farm yard grime (hand brush and air brush) did the job.  I think it really brought out some of the detail.  I think it is a nicely detailed kit.

Of course I blame you :D.   Your comments on the original combine were spot on, so of course it had to be replaced.  So a big thankyou for the constructive feedback, it all helps improve my layout :good_mini:.   

Edited by Gopher
  • Thanks 1

Continuing with the agricultural theme - a baler (repainted and lightly weathered Oxford Diecast model).

20200228_140153.jpg

• Like 3