Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Battle Space

• RMweb Premium

As a ten-year-old in 1966 I assumed that the Triang Battle Space range http://www.tri-angrailways.com/Battlespace.htm was named in recognition of its dual theme of (a) Battles, represented by the rifle in the emblem, and (b) Space (i.e. the extraterrestrial void) represented by the rocket. 

Over the next forty years I don't suppose I gave any thought to the matter until I attended a job interview with a military oriented company, and must have done a double-take when the interviewer used the term "battlespace" without otherwise hinting that he was a Triang afficionado. I didn't get the job.

It seems that "battlespace" is now the preferred term for what used to be called a battlefield, but I can't find any reference online to the history of the word apart from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlespace where it says "Over the last 25 years, the understanding of the military operational environment has transformed from primarily a time and space-driven linear understanding (a "battlefield") to a multi-dimensional system of systems understanding (a battlespace)"

If that is a true representation of the timescale, then Triang must have been extraordinarily prescient in adopting the term roughly twenty-five years before it came into general use. I wonder if Triang invented the term independently, or whether someone in the company was attuned to the very latest developments in military thinking. Or perhaps it's just not such a modern term as all that.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My youngest has just applied to the Navy to be a Warcraft Officer.  When he first looked onto this role it was called a Battlespace Officer. 

The idea is that they are responsible for bringing in the necessary military units into the battle area, including sea, sub-sea, land and air.

Edited by Stubby47
Fat fingers
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

My youngest gas just applied to the Navy to be a Warcraft Officer.  When he first looked onto thus role it was called a Battlespace Officer. 

The idea is that they are responsible for bringing in the necessary military units into the battle area, including sea, sub-sea, land and air.

Yes. You need to be able to do 'TRiang-ulations'.....

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 3

On 22/02/2020 at 10:09, BernardTPM said:

Given the Battle Space range was made over 50 years ago Triang-Hornby must have got there first. Many of the models originally appeared with 'Nato' markings, 'Battle Space' arriving in 1966.

Incidentally, a question for 1960s/70s Triang and Hornby experts: Was the searchlight wagon ever sold without the searchlight and control room as an ordinary well-wagon? (I've seen pictures of it had a variety of other BattleSpace loads) I had one as a kid, but with a different load (girders I think), but all the searches I've tried end up back at a Battlespace wagon, or a smaller 8 wheel well-wagon. I'm beginning to wonder if I had a second-hand one that had been repurposed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sharris said:

Incidentally, a question for 1960s/70s Triang and Hornby experts: Was the searchlight wagon ever sold without the searchlight and control room as an ordinary well-wagon? (I've seen pictures of it had a variety of other BattleSpace loads) I had one as a kid, but with a different load (girders I think), but all the searches I've tried end up back at a Battlespace wagon, or a smaller 8 wheel well-wagon. I'm beginning to wonder if I had a second-hand one that had been repurposed. 

Your not dreaming, Google Hornby Trestrol Wagon and you will find. :) 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sharris said:

It originated as the Trestrol (in authentic light grey with black patches for the lettering) in 1961. The version with girders dates to the early 1970s. The girders were those for the overall station roof.

• Informative/Useful 1