GWR signal box drawings

• RMweb Premium

Wonder if anyone can suggest a source of drawings of typical GWR signal boxes, good enough for model making. I've come across a few but they're not great. I'm think of the different types of "standard" signal boxes, rather than the odd balls.

The March 1968 MRC has plans for 'GWR brick-built signal box at Torre'. The front and left elevations are at 4mm scale and the rear and right are at 2mm scale. it is quite a large (tall) box but I have adapted the plans in the past for smaller scratch built versions. If you can't find a copy elsewhere drop me a PM and I'll send you a scan.

Edited by Devo63
correction

• RMweb Premium

Thanks all. I've got Adrian Vaughan's signalling book, not sure about the architecture one. The Peco Ericplans booklet has a couple, one or two others have the odd sketch. None quite have the sort of scope I was hoping for. I was dreaming of a "Historical survey of GWR signal boxes" type of thing with loads of pics of the various common types and drawings to match.

I've ordered the West Somerset book as it might have various useful things in it; the station building on my layout has a canopy swiped from Dunster!  I may end up adapting an Ericplans drawing.

Nigel

Edited by NCB

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, NCB said:

Thanks all. I've got Adrian Vaughan's signalling book, not sure about the architecture one. The Peco Ericplans booklet has a couple, one or two others have the odd sketch. None quite have the sort of scope I was hoping for. I was dreaming of a "Historical survey of GWR signal boxes" type of thing with loads of pics of the various common types and drawings to match.

I've ordered the West Somerset book as it might have various useful things in it; the station building on my layout has a canopy swiped from Dunster!  I may end up adapting an Ericplans drawing.

Nigel

My minehead branch book which I showed above has scale drawings of all the minehead line buildings. If there are any in particular you want, drop me a pm.

I haven't looked at the "stations and buildings" book for a long time. I don't think it has any drawings. You need my book for those.

Ian coleby

Edited by ikcdab

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, NCB said:

One of the Ericplans signal boxes is 'Aybury' in this film, which may give some idea of the internal layout.

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, ikcdab said:

My minehead branch book which I showed above has scale drawings of all the minehead line buildings. If there are any in particular you want, drop me a pm.

I haven't looked at the "stations and buildings" book for a long time. I don't think it has any drawings. You need my book for those.

Ian coleby

That looks a useful book. The Vale of Rheidol shop just down the road appears to have it in stock; I'll drop in and see if I can get a copy.

I travelled to Dunster by train Easter 1970. It was very well patronised. I was shocked when it was closed!

Nigel

• RMweb Premium

Once you have a couple of drawings you ought to be able to work up the dimensions of any box convincingly enough from a photo, by using the standard window dimentions as a reference and counting bricks.

I built one using the Churchward etched frames and doors which I scaled it around.

Actually I've had a niggle for some time a box of stuff had gone missing and that's just reminded me it's the one with my old buildings in!

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Once you have a couple of drawings you ought to be able to work up the dimensions of any box convincingly enough from a photo, by using the standard window dimentions as a reference and counting bricks.

I built one using the Churchward etched frames and doors which I scaled it around.

Actually I've had a niggle for some time a box of stuff had gone missing and that's just reminded me it's the one with my old buildings in!

That's probably the route I'll take. I have some Worsley etchings for signal box windows. I do have an Ericplans drawing for Leckhampton signal box. I could scale the drawing to the windows (I did wonder if the drawing isn't slightly underscale for 4mm/ft but haven't yet seriously checked).

• RMweb Premium

In making the signal box for my Henley on Thames, I have used the books suggested above by @Miss Prism. The GWR architecture book is generally my go to book for anything about buildings and structures on the former GWR. 

Obviously for Henley there is also a Wild Swan book, although this didn’t have the signal box diagram.

By using the different reference books, together with a wealth of photos, I’ve been able to produce a very acceptable model. 

Good luck with your project @NCB