The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Exotic place names in the UK

PhilJ W

• RMweb Premium

Besses o' th' Barn always conjures up slightly smutty images here and must cause non-locals some pronunciation difficulty as does nearby Hall i' th' Wood.

Milngavie is famous for mispronunciation and across Glasgow Chatelherault is almost as bad.  

St. Ives has already features twice but thus far no-one has mentioned Truro which features the delightfully - and accurately - named Squeeze Guts Alley which is a very narrow thoroughfare beside the cathedral.  

Modesty has determined that those ways in numerous towns formerly known as Gropec*nt Lane no longer bear that moniker; some have been rechristened Grape Lane.  

Among classy British place names we can include Twatt, Muff, Horsey Windpump, Cowbottom Hovel and the rural estate of Knockensh@g.  Streets you might prefer to not live on include Wych Way (in Rowner, near Gosport) while the Royal Standard pub at Par was for a number of years the Wych Way Inn.  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheshire presents us with a stark social choice: Peover Superior or Peover Inferior.

The Rector of the parish of Irby and Orby, Lincs., is said to be very happy that his parish is the subject of a papal blessing.

The Leicestershire Magnas and Parvas have been mentioned: a favourite of mine is Sheepy Magna.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

If we are onto funny rather than exotic names, Ugley Essex says it all.

5 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Or just over the border in Hertfordshire you will find Nasty.

Bernard

Which of course gave rise to that famous local newspaper headline...

'Nasty man marries Ugley woman'

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Feydun Boyz (phonetic version) in Essex seems quite exotic. 

Even more so on the rare occasions you hear a French-speaker ..... "T'aydon Bwuh"

One from Cornwall, land of great place names  -  yes these are both actual places and I promise no fury was taken out on the car in question.  And one from Australia where they have clearly run out of good street names.  

1496376_10202847511931590_1104721990_o.jpg

1094756_10201874087676592_43490154_o.jpg

• Like 1

It's terribly unfair but I find it difficult to see the signs on the M3/M25 for a local riverside town without thinking of the advertising slogan "Get rid of ugly Staines"

Does it require the combination of a smutty mind and a fairly large vocabulary to find the name of our previous Prime Minister's constitutuency slightly titter worthy?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

It's terribly unfair but I find it difficult to see the signs on the M3/M25 for a local riverside town without thinking of the advertising slogan "Get rid of ugly Staines"

Does it require the combination of a smutty mind and a fairly large vocabulary to find the name of our previous Prime Minister's constitutuency slightly titter worthy?

Maidenhead was a popular weekend resort for the upper classes in late Victorian / Edwardian times. If Kind Hearts and Coronets is to be believed, it did have a bit of a reputation (for loss of ...).

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Talking of Police stations, and St.Ives (the real one, in Cambridgeshire), when the local nick moved to a new building, the relevant part of Pig Lane became Broad Leas, as its original name was thought degrading to the Force.

Stewart

• Funny 1

25 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Catbrain, just north of Bristol, always makes me wonder.....

There is another down near Swindon.  Supposed to refer to the appearance of the mixture of soil and stone resembling a cats brain (if such a thing exists....).

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Montserrat, a short distance from Barcelona, is one of the most spectacular sites in Europe. Seems strange though to name a street in Bolton after it unless on an estate where all the street names are monastery-related.

PS: Seems a bit unlikely. Are other nearby roads named after Caribbean islands?

Sadly not.  Sabden, Gisburn, Bowland, Gargrave - all in North Yorkshire!  I think at the time Montserrat Road was named it was probably the only a minor side road off Chorley Road (now the B6226).  If I remember correctly, there was something of historical note happening at the Spanish monastery at the time Montserrat Road was first built, hence the landowner chose the name.  It predates the time that councils had any influence over road building/naming, and the name has just stuck.

• Like 2