Jump to content

Unidentified rolling stock


Recommended Posts

Can anyone identify this short rake of what I assume is an overhead line maintenance train, seen here stabled just north of Rugby, on the Down side, in April 1984? It was there some months, and IIRC disappeared sometime during summer that year. Looks like they are on Gresley bogies, and possibly are conversions from some sort of suburban stock.

 

OHL_train_Rugby_April1984_IMG_20200314_0005.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a crane and runner on the front of the rake of coaches. They definetley look old school ER though. A quick look through Departmental book around 1986 didn't find any LM stock that was ex LNER on the electrification train side of things but I can't help pre-86. There were certainly a fair number of ex LNER and associated Eastern company vehicles in use allocated to the Eastern region though with some as crane runners. 

Someone on here is bound to have a definitive answer! 

 

Regards 

 

Guy 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm assuming it's an OHL maintenance train, because of the roofs that look like they've been flattened, and maybe have lights in them. I guess it could be a tunnel inspection/maintenance train?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dagrizz said:

I live in Rugby but cannot place the location of this photo, the large building to the right of the train and what appear to be flats on the skyline don't tally with me. Can anyone help?

 

Graham 

Graham is it looking South to the birdcage? The flats on the right are at the top of the hill on Clifton Road and are due to be demolished. My knowledge of the old layout isn't sufficient but it looks like that view point. Maybe Nidge can clarify @Rugd1022 ?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The view is taken from the north end of the layout at Rugby, close to the bridge over Newbold Road, looking south towards the station, you can just make out the 'black path' footbridge that spans all the lines, the vehicles are stood in the old down sidings, now the site of Wood Street industrial estate. The tower blocks in the distance are in Biart Place just off Clifton Road, which are being demolished as I type. The houses on the extreme right of the photo are in Wood Street.

 

Hope that helps folks!

  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a view of the down side yard taken from the footbridge looking north in 1982... Rodent's pic was taken from a spot just north of where the 87 is in this pic...

 

 

RY Scan 11.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rodent279 said:

I'm assuming it's an OHL maintenance train, because of the roofs that look like they've been flattened, and maybe have lights in them. I guess it could be a tunnel inspection/maintenance train?

If it is an OHL electrification train with Gresley bogies, could it be from the Woodhead line? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

The view is taken from the north end of the layout at Rugby, close to the bridge over Newbold Road, looking south towards the station, you can just make out the 'black path' footbridge that spans all the lines, the vehicles are stood in the old down sidings, now the site of Wood Street industrial estate. The tower blocks in the distance are in Biart Place just off Clifton Road, which are being demolished as I type. The houses on the extreme right of the photo are in Wood Street.

 

Hope that helps folks!

Spot on. Here's a screenshot from the NLS maps website using the OS 1:10,560 1949-1969 series of maps. I'd place the photo taken from just above where the s in Works is, just east of Newbold Rd. The footbridge in the distance is marked Path, and FB, and goes from Wood St over the railway and through the GEC works.

 

Rugby.gif

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pandora said:

If it is an OHL electrification train with Gresley bogies, could it be from the Woodhead line? 

Plausible. 3 yrs after Woodhead shut, I'd imagine the knitting was removed pretty hastily after closure, so that's entirely possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Pandora said:

If it is an OHL electrification train with Gresley bogies, could it be from the Woodhead line? 

Nail has been firmly smote on the head.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129250-woodhead-electrification-inspection-train/

I think Pandora may have solved it!

Edited by rodent279
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pandora said:

If it is an OHL electrification train with Gresley bogies, could it be from the Woodhead line? 

I would agree that it is an OLE maintenance/construction train, but I don't think that too much can be read into the fact that it is ex-LNE stock. Overhead Line trains simply were created out of whatever was available. 

 

Jim

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

One of those - presumably the Reddish one - would have been retained for the Hadfield 'stump' unless replaced by something completely different.

True, though Hadfield went 25kV later in 1984, so it's possible they used whatever was the nearest 25kV OHL maintenance train-presumably Longsight?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at my Ian Allen of 1985 it appears that the ADE numbered stock was spread all over the country.  I can't make out the number in the picture above but here are  a few examples with the locations given.  These are I believe locations at the time of printing and not necessarily orignal allocations, but does show a number of possible locations that were not necessarily an in store location. 

 

ADE320580  ex E86872E  Romford

ADE 320582 ex E82399E Carstairs

LDE320750 ex E82331E Wigan Bamfurlong

 

Andy

Edited by SM42
Correct numbers and remove BTU van. Eyes ain't what they used to be
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Looking at my Ian Allen of 1985 it appears that the ADE numbered stock was spread all over the country.  I can't make out the number in the picture above but here are  a few examples with the locations given.  These are I believe locations at the time of printing and not necessarily orignal allocations, but does show a number of possible locations that were not necessarily an in store location.  Tinsley I would say is a bit of an outlier

 

ADE320580  ex E86873E  Romford

ADE 320583 ex E82388E Carstairs

ADE320610 ex E62482E Tinsley 

LDE320750 ex E82331E Wigan Bamfurlong

 

Andy

ADE320836 (E82359E) is the one in the photo above. According to Departmentals.com there were sightings at Nuneaton then Rugby in 1984 but also in Rugby summer 1983. It was scrapped at Marple and Gillot in Sheffield November 1985. It looks demic in the above photo - the windows are missing - so in all liklehood is stored or withdrawn already. 

 

Regards

 

Guy

Edited by balders
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, balders said:

ADE320836 (E82359E) is the one in the photo above. According to Departmentals.com there were sightings at Nuneaton then Rugby in 1984 but also in Rugby summer 1983. It was scrapped at Marple and Gillot in Sheffield November 1985. It looks demic in the above photo - the windows are missing - so in all liklehood is stored or withdrawn already. 

 

Regards

 

Guy

 

Guy thanks for clarifying the number

 

Ian Allen 1985 shows it as an OHLM pantograph coach and at Rugby.

 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just found my 84' Departmental book. The Rugby allocation was a set of three;

 

ADE320823 (E88014E) 1926 LNER CL which was the staff and office coach. 

ADE320828 (E88101E) 1928 LNER C which was the workshop coach

ADE320836 (E82359E) 1929 LNER T which was the pantograph coach. 

 

This ties up the original photo I think hopefully! 

 

Regards

 

Guy

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.