Driving 12v relays via DCC

kspoons

• RMweb Gold

Simplest way of doing this is via an accessory decoder, ie treating them like points or signals. If you use a latching relay, for example the Gaugemaster GM500, any accessory decoder will be capable of managing that.

• RMweb Premium

As RFS says, an accessory decoder will do the job unless you are powering something with pretty heavy demand e.g. a lighting rig. You need to know the output load to know if the decoder would be adequate or what rating of relay to buy. From the same manufacturer as the ECoS, the ESU SwitchPilot would do the job for you either directly or via a relay.

If you are switching a significant load and want to use a 12V car type relay, follow the decoder instructions for the terminals to use but generally connect the common (C) to relay terminal 30 and output (A) to relay terminal 87. Split the positive feed for the lights and attach the feed and output ends to relay terminals 85 and 86. The earth feed to your lights would not pass through the relay. You would need to program the accessory decoder to give constant output rather than a pulse.

Send the output from the acc decoder into the coil of the relay. Wire the main relay contacts to your external (lighting or other) circuit.

I use mine set to pulse to fire the output of a CDU into solenoid motors. Pulse will also control a latching relay.

I am not sure if this will work, but if the output of the Peco smartswitch ( same as ANE model ) decoder is 5V then it should

The relay panel shown is available for For as little as AU$20 to $30

They are available in modules with 2,4,8,& 16 relays

The relays are opto isolated from the input & therefore draw very little current from the decoder

There is a connection for 12V DC & 16 inputs pins, 2 Ground(-) pins & 2 5V(+) pins (on this board)

Ignore the white jumper, it is there to show one of the relays working (connect the (Edit 5V) GND pin to an input pin & the relay will turn on)

Connect an external ground (from the decoder) & a 5V decoder output to a pin & that relay should work

A resistor (try 1K) between the Decoder & relay board may not be necessary but would reduce the chance of damaging the relay input or decoder output

If you are into Arduino then these relay panels are ideal to interface between the Arduino & the layout 

Just to repeat I haven't tried this & am not sure it will work

post-28417-0-61514200-1518917573.jpg.595217373f193bb5057fae460e4a769a.jpg

John

Edit

I have 2 of the ANE decoders(same as shown in the pic) connected to logic gates & switches that control 8 relays, then 8 points(slow motion)

I disconnected one of the outputs from the decoder & connect one of the relay board pins to the decoder & joined the relay board ground to the decoder ground & it worked

John

Edited by John ks

Rather expensive at £20 per relay - and as it comes as a pair that is £40!

there are much cheaper option around that can dcc switch relays the DR4018 with switch 16 for around that same price and relays are cheap as chips.

I have an ECoS and use several ESU switchpilots on their own bus.  Work absolutely fine, thought at around £40, not the cheapest.  Manual says will control 8 outputs, but I could never work how to do this - could only manage four.  16v outputs.  Some of mine run Arduinos (from outputs tuned down to 12v) which in turn control lighting circuits.

Edited by Ouroborus
Typo

Here are a couple more possibilities 

Provided that the decoder output is sufficient to drive a relay then I see no problems with either circuit

With this circuit one output is controlling a point motor (tortoise etc) 

The second output is controlling a relay

One diode allows power to the relay when the top wire of output 2 is (+) the second is a flyback diode to prevent back EMF  damaging the output stage of the decoder

1n4004 diodes would be suitable

5421370_relayfromstationarydecoder.png.162ba06ec70bf5ee7efbec3ac7897c22.png

this should work with Locsound Switchpilot

1679243635_relayfromlocsound.png.efe2f6cc9ee66488aabbd1ac9bda9665.png

John

PS in the locsound circuit only the flyback diode is necessary 

By the time I realised this the image was uploaded & I couldn't be bothered changing it:)