Bachmann - Covid-19 impact update

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

Thanks @AY Mod and Bachmann.

Its interesting time see that a Jan to June delay looks like 6 months, yet Bachmann talk about a 90 day delay. Obviously there is a lot of planning around delays caused by Chinese New Year.

With the world as it is, I think we can cope with 6 month delays.

Thanks again, Neal.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

To be honest, I’ve been expecting this kind of announcement not only from Bachmann but other model railway manufacturers given the global lock down.  I’m glad that things are starting to pick up in China but remember, it’s been down on it’s knees and still looking shaky.  Acting too quickly could reintroduce Covid-19 into the population and we’re back to square one.

Edited by jools1959
Typo
  • Agree 3

12 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Thanks @AY Mod and Bachmann.

With the world as it is, I think we can cope with 6 month delays.

I think we can all agree with that. Worth remembering that the age/gender skew among virus victims has a familiar look to it among (I suspect) the RM fraternity. Useful formula: E=L-d where E = enjoyment of ones hobby, L = life expectancy of the hobbyist and d=delivery date of the hobbyists latest model. Usual form on this forum is to moan about the ever increasing value of d. Our focus now should be on increasing the value of L. If any supply chain capacity were able to switch from models to ventilators, testing kits or PPE then so much the better. Another 6 months to wait for a 94xx, Bulleid coaches, Midland 1P etc. will be insignificant in the long run. Many modellers of working age may find themselves on a reduced income for some time yet and in no hurry for their next delivery. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann Europe seem to have taken on board criticism of their long lead times with better announcements about whatever progress there is, and more transparency generally.  Covid has clearly had a big impact on production and packing, partially offset by the New Year plans which mollify things by about 3 weeks.  Container ships are taking longer at lower speeds in accordance with new emissions rules.  

Of course, I want a certain pannier yesterday if not sooner, but the level of information now being allowed to escape from B is re-assuring and I am content with the situation.  The item in question is, I believe, currently expected in December having been put back from September; another 60 days takes it to Feb or March next year.  I don't want it any earlier if that puts anyone at risk from the virus.  My Limbach will suffice in the meantime.  

It will be interesting to see what the 117/121 are like.  I am vaguely interested in the 121 as part of a possible mid 60s alternative fleet for the layout, along with a D68xx, D95xx, and 350hp shunter.

Well done Bachmann.

2 hours ago, trevor7598 said:

Tramshed. I wasn't aware that the Bulleid coaches were six months away.

I have not seen any news on their progress for ages.

No, me neither. Just offering examples of products in the pipeline whose 'd' value may be impacted by recent events.

19 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Its interesting time see that a Jan to June delay looks like 6 months, yet Bachmann talk about a 90 day delay.

Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones: January to June is +5 months...

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Jub45565 said:

Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones: January to June is +5 months...

if you don’t have anything positive to say, don’t comment.

• Like 1

Errr .... I beg to differ, January to June is 6 months eg: 01/2020 (Jan 2020) to 06/2020 (Jun 2020) and unless its New Maths, it seems like 6 months whichever way you slice it.

BTW, we've been in lockdown longer than you lot in the UK and I can tell you that four weeks is starting to feel like six months!

Back OT, good news from Bachmann given what's happening elsewhere.

Cheers and stay safe as I'd like my L and yours to be as long as possible,

Philip

Edited by Philou
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

if you don’t have anything positive to say, don’t comment.

I thought bringing down the length of delay was a positive - but apologies if my first sentence seemed harsh.  It is good of Bachmann to keep everyone updated - a lot is outside of their control, but what is in their control is keeping those best guesses coming.  I had noticed the 1P timescale moved to November, and it is useful to see the update on their plan for the 3 monthly announcement.

23 minutes ago, Philou said:

Errr .... I beg to differ, January to June is 6 months eg: 01/2020 (Jan 2020) to 06/2020 (Jun 2020) and unless its New Maths, it seems like 6 months whichever way you slice it.

1+5 = 6. Agreed that the beginning of Jan to very end of June would be almost 6, but that isn't how the monthly announcement dates work as far as I'm aware. Likewise the end of Jan to beginning of June is barely over 4.

Edited by Jub45565
trimming quote

• RMweb Gold

I think what I meant to say but didn't in my previous post is that I am surprised the delay is so short considering what is going on in the world and thank Bachmann for keeping us in the loop. I look forward to the next batch of announcements in may even though there may be some slippage from the 3 month delivery target it's no big deal.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Jub45565 said:

I had noticed the 1P timescale moved to November, and it is useful to see the update on their plan for the 3 monthly announcement.

Bachy could always save a little bit of time by not machining grooves into one pair of drivers. No grooves then to be filled with rubber. :diablo_mini:

• Funny 2