Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Mid model/life crisis

• RMweb Gold

The lock down means the completion of my layout has pretty much arrived bar the installation of 3 more Absolute Aspect signals .... Does anyone else dread this or is it just me? Its almost like the hobby has come to an end???? Anyone else think this or is it just me? 

Edited by pheaton
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

You are deluding yourself and your layout is not finished, don't worry, no layout ever is and there's plenty to do.  There are always more details to add, older items to replace with better new ones, new projects.  For instance, is there lighting on your layout?  There's your next job if there isn't.  Is running perfect?  Another possibility.  Do your streets have drains, drain covers, fire hydrants, and so on?  Does any of your stock have duplicate numbers?  Are you buildings detailed internally?  How about a Faller type road system?  What about lighting, not models and buildings but the layout as a whole; a bit of work here and you can evoke sunny or dull weather, or even the passage of the sun across the sky.  

Signal box.  Does it have the correct number of levers in the correct order painted in the correct colours, and is there point rodding, or if you model current operation, are the cable ducts all in their correct places between the equipment cabinets.  

If you model era 5 or earlier, do your diesels or electrics show the correct headcodes in the panels, or do your steam locos carry the correct head lamps in the correct positions, and do your brake vans carry the appropriate tail and side lamps.  If all else fails, you could even tidy your workbench, though most of would find that a bit extreme.  After all, where's the fun if you don't have to look for things in the mess and find something else you'd forgotten you had.

Or, you could start another layout...

I think there is a distinction to be made between the end of buying things for the layout and 'finishing' the layout.  Even if you have bought everything you are ever going to buy for it, built the kits, and installed everything, you can still work out different methods of operating it, devise different timetables and try to run them in real time.  This can be properly challenging, and thus properly satisfying and fun. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

As the Johnster said, and it's a well known saying that a layout is never finished. However if you feel you cant go any further could you build a micro layout or diorama? You might have enough spare bit's to do it and you could try modelling something very different from your normal. There's always weathering your stock, adding wagon loads etc. Have a trawl around on here or other railway sites and you might get a bit of inspiration. 

Hope that helps a bit.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I know already as reaching one end of the layout, that  going back to the other end, improvements can be made to the scenery.. 

There is always something else you can do to the layout. Unless you don't want to.. 

I know there is  a micro layout in the back of my brain. Looking to escape. 

If you're a builder then I can understand the feeling. Personally a layout would be "finished" for me when operating it gets boring, which when combined with the fact that I have next to no time (or talent) for scenics etc means it could well be "finished" whilst 80% of the board is still plywood.

I guess it just means that you've got to decide what's next. Sell it and start a new one, if that's what you enjoy?

My layout needs a small amount of work for an exhibition in 2021...New lighting, transport cradle, the odd signal making...but to be honest I have zero motivation at the moment.  I hope it will return but for now it's just sitting there collecting dust.

• Friendly/supportive 4

On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 10:15, pheaton said:

... the completion of my layout has pretty much arrived ... Does anyone else dread this or is it just me?

I have encountered many serial layout builders, who in the last minute before their layout is essentially complete, discard it and embark on the next one. Often hopping around in location, scale and/or gauge as the mood of the moment takes them...

On 01/05/2020 at 10:51, Zomboid said:

If you're a builder then I can understand the feeling. Personally a layout would be "finished" for me when operating it gets boring, which when combined with the fact that I have next to no time (or talent) for scenics etc means it could well be "finished" whilst 80% of the board is still plywood.

I guess it just means that you've got to decide what's next. Sell it and start a new one, if that's what you enjoy?

You sound like me!

• RMweb Premium

I am building coach sets

So far

1 complete

1 down to last 2 paint jobs (6 done, 2 to complete)

1 down to last paint job (7 done, 1 to complete)

1 at 4/7 bought

1 at 3/6 built

1 at 8/12 donors 0/12 complete

2 at 50% built

I reckon 2 more rakes on top

• RMweb Gold

Plenty scenic work still to do, finish lighting project, at least 3 coach kits (Comet GW E147 B set and A44 auto trailer), chassis build for Wills 1854, rebuild fiddle yard, relay scenic section in code 75 bullhead, rebuild signal box to better standard, new platform surface, in fact probably new platform, possible relay to modified track plan, new layout lighting.  And I'm nowhere near bored with operating it.

At the speed I do things that's well over a decade's work even if I can finance it at the times I want and not have have projects awaiting funding.  Finished, pah, I mock your 'finished' (in cod French accent).

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Oh Lord, I wouldn't think so! My meagre shunting puzzle arrived as an unfinished project, and once complete, I had enormous fun with it. When I got bored, I bought another loco, or wagons, or, rakes of wagons.... As the puzzle went to yearly shows, you really needed to 'ring the changes'. 

A couple of the younger members took on the layout, and continued to work it up. I know full well that if i tootle along, I can 'have a play'. The real absolute bonus is that these younger club members took to volunteering at Havenstreet, which is a real solid-gold result.

There's enough 'stuff' to be getting along, well enough into my box, so I have no worries on that score.

• Like 2

I have got several wagons finished during this "lockdown". In theory, the "lockdown" makes little difference to my daily life, but somehow it has focused my mind.

I have discovered that several "apparently" completed wagons needed details added - tare weights and so on. So I am bashing on with it. 

It is a remarkable achievement to complete a model railway to a point where there is literally nothing more to add.