Harts Hill an 0 gauge Black Country micro plus Hookton and Lipp Vale

In the history of Hookton there is mention of the salt pits.  If you are producing salt you need to transport the product and what better way then by rail. Having been unable to purchase a couple of Peco wagon kits I acquired a couple of very basic 3d printed opens Brake gear was added to one side ( not enough in the scrap box to to both sides) the end altered and PlastiCard roofs added. Here is the first one underway  with still a lot of work to do, but you get the idea. 

salt wagon.jpg

Edited by Mike
grammar
  • Like 10

Yet another bit of history tweaking. Cancelled Australian export order from Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Co a re-gauged narrow gauge coach for the HLVR. Photo taken as it arrived and before the Loco and coach have been through the Hookton workshops. For that read Grandads Shed where things are made and mended - eventually.

BCW.jpg

• Like 6

Mike

Just found this thread, and I must say what a delightful layout you have, the skill you have shown in turning the 3D models into a village is top class. I look forward to seeing the layout develop over the coming weeks and months

Thank you for sharing it

• Thanks 1

The C16 tender has lost its Colorado & Southern and as soon as the detailing parts arrive will be well and truly tweaked. The loco will have a new pilot beam and the boiler mounted air compressor will have the cable and pipe work fitted. I will then need to make up a fall plate twixt loco and tender. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Started mucking about with the loco and tender. New pilot beam on loco, air tank with associated pipe work, electrical conduit and rear lamp on tender plus brake wheel. Chains to be fitted to bogies and a lot of cleaning up to do. Loco needs additional pipe work to air tank, electrical cable to generator and bell wire.

IMG-2351.jpg

IMG-2350.jpg

IMG-2348.jpg

Edited by Mike
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...

Work is a foot, well a fall-plate and air tank plumbing which is a best guess. Bell wire and head light wiring still to do but my Grandads shed is just a little on the cold side. photos in  previous post

Edited by Mike
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

It’s good to be back. Hookton is getting a new additional baseboard to replace the fiddle yard. Well, basically it’s just another inglenook with scenery including the almost a river Lipp.  The baseboard has been built and once the underside has been painted I’ll start laying track. I have decided to use Peco 0.16.5 track and 2 wye points and wait for it point motors. People will think Ive gone mad and they’re probably right. When I have something to show I’ll stick up some photos. At some point in the future the layout will be featured in Model Rail with Chris Nevard photos well chuffed pun intended.

• Like 3

Have mad a start to repost missing images but for  reasons unknown several have changed the way they are orientated  so I might just give it a miss and carry on from here.

Edited by Mike
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Even worse for me Mike I appear to have lost all photos from day 1.  I had started to load some in before I checked but when I did I found that all had gone.  Just going back to re-check but if it is I'll give up on it all.

Right proper ineptitude of the server provider.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

The time has come the Walrus said to talk of many things, Panniers, Prairies, Castles and Kings. What absolute nonsense, I have actually started building the extension to Hookton which will in fact be a stand alone of Parkbourne Saint Giles that fictional terminus of the line. The baseboards are built although in a rush of blood to the head I cut the hole to the fiddle yard in the wrong end, now filled and the exit hole cut in the right end. The track plan for anyone who can remember is the same as my Lenches Bridge Layout ( Now known as Bankfield Road.) The double slip has been created by using two wye points toe to toe, well it is narrow gauge. As soon as my camera has been repaired or replaced I will upload some photos and no I haven't shelved the Central Shire Cheese Company, just taken my foot off the gas. 🙂

Edited by Mike
missing text
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't matter how simple or complex the wiring under the baseboard is, it's rather satisfying when you have soldered the last wire in place, switched on and everything works just as it was designed to do.. Loco run and points switched, soon be time for a celebratory Gin and easy on the tonic. (:

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2

Just to show it's not all smoke and mirrors a happy snap of the  now complete, wired and working trackwork. I have still to shorten the point motor operating rods.

Parkbourne St Giles.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Having a few health issues I have finally ventured out into Granddads Shed (where things are made and mended eventually). I have modified the Peco points to improve the electrical reliability and live frog polarity switching.  Have started building the platform, waiting room/shelter and almost completed a bogie brake van, not exactly breakneck speeding. Oh and fitted the uncoupling magnets and assembled and primed a few white metal figures.

IMG-2379.jpg

IMG-2381.jpg

IMG-2383.jpg

IMG-2384.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Kevin, the figures are from. S&D And are white metal castings. In most cases they need heads and arms fitted but they are quite nice castings which require very little cleaning.

• Informative/Useful 1

Feeling well chuffed as my article Hookton and the Lipp vale has appeared in the June addition of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Associations magazine "Narrow Lines".😊.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhat grubby under construction goods shed with only enough recycled corrugated Plasticard to do just one side of the roof. Still loads to do as well as giving it a really good clean. Drilling all those holes for Peco track pins reduced in length to represent the panel fixings is certainly not a labour of love but it is keeping me off the streets.  The second structure for Parkbourne St Giles, next up wil;l be the ticket office.

IMG-2394.jpg

IMG-2395.jpg

IMG-2396.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Started putting on some basic colours other than undercoat on the Goods Shed and built the ticket office which although its not visible in the photo has a fully detailed interior. 

IMG-2404.jpg

IMG-2405.jpg

IMG-2406.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Having got to grips and built the lighting pelmet ready for the Cradley show on the 8th I've gone down with the lurgy and have had to cancel. Very disappointed. Excuse the mess but I didn't want any fresh paint to drip on the layout.

pelmet.jpg

Edited by Mike
wrong photo
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3