New release of Bachmann wagons

TravisM

10 minutes ago, daz9284 said:

arr, I understand what you mean now. I just thought you meant the lack of different number ones.

Yes they are rare. I looked at buying another rake to convert to HQA's

Yes there is a lack of different numbered ones, but my main point being that since most people will be trying to build up a rake of 5 of the right types, with 1 gen 4 non gen (before we even go near curved or flat) then it will mean at the moment people probably have generator ones at home and then fight over non gen ones as the ratio of batches (and therefore I presume produced models) is 3/4 not 1/4 like what people are likely to want. 

15 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Yes there is a lack of different numbered ones, but my main point being that since most people will be trying to build up a rake of 5 of the right types, with 1 gen 4 non gen (before we even go near curved or flat) then it will mean at the moment people probably have generator ones at home and then fight over non gen ones as the ratio of batches (and therefore I presume produced models) is 3/4 not 1/4 like what people are likely to want. 

all depends on how many of each are produced. if they produce 100,000 generator and 400,000 non generator then you have the 1:4 ratio for a rake of 5. but like you mention, without knowing the production run numbers it is hard to know

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I can't remember where, but it had been said that Bachmann would most likely not do another run of JJAs as they would be too costly because of the added parts.

(IMO - when they came out, they were above and beyond the best UK RTR wagon made and at those particular prices - an absolute bargain)

I have a set of 5 in a box sans original bogies, but with kits for Axle Motion 3s to turn them into a HQA set. No doubt when I near finishing the project, Bachmann will announce them......

As for the new batch of FNAs - I wonder if contacts made with DRS/WH Davis etc, for the PFA and KUA projects will bear fruit on the branches of two other manufacturers trees?

When I presented my cutdown HTA/HRA conversion to Bachmann at the NEC about 18 months ago as an idea, they weren't the slightest bit interested - hence me going on to make another 15 of my own.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 18/05/2020 at 14:09, martin_l_jones said:

I would have liked a run of some GBRf HYA coal hoppers, but it’s never materialised, plenty of Freightliner and EWS hoppers. And they’ve made so may GBRf 66s with very little to run behind them.

Thankfully at least Dapol have made some GBRf spine wagons and MJA box wagons...

Note that the HYA/IIA is a different end profile compared to a HTA - it's not just a different bogie)

Suitable wagons for GBRf 66s.

Accurascale Castle Cement PCAs, Bachmann Castle Cement JPAs (if you can get them), debranded EWS HTA hoppers (a bit of modelling), Revolution JNA boxes, Hattons FEAs ( as mentioned elsewehere), Dapol JNA Falcons, Dapol Freightliner liveried HIAs (another run just announced!) FL liveried MJAs (both in use for a number of months with GB traction). And I'm sure there are others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, newbryford said:

When I presented my cutdown HTA/HRA conversion to Bachmann at the NEC about 18 months ago as an idea, they weren't the slightest bit interested - hence me going on to make another 15 of my own.

You'd think the conversions would at least be reasonably interesting as there are elements of the existing tooling that could be reused I would expect. The body would be a new moulding yes but that whilst is expensive won't be the be all and end all.

2 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Suitable wagons for GBRf 66s.

Accurascale Castle Cement PCAs, Bachmann Castle Cement JPAs (if you can get them), debranded EWS HTA hoppers (a bit of modelling), Revolution JNA boxes, Hattons FEAs ( as mentioned elsewehere), Dapol JNA Falcons, Dapol Freightliner liveried HIAs (another run just announced!) FL liveried MJAs (both in use for a number of months with GB traction). And I'm sure there are others.

Revolution Greenergy TEAs, Dapol Silver Bullets (although 92s often pull these as well) are another two. I think I have seen them with NR IOAs (Dapol) too. The Revolution Ecofrets will be in GBRF too when they are out.

I could pretty much go through your list saying "got got", but all 4 of my current sheds are GBRF and all my stock is suitable for them other than my FL FLAs.

I think what there is a lack of is GBRF branded wagons. The MJA, JNA-T and FEAs are the only ones currently available (ish) I think?

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

You'd think the conversions would at least be reasonably interesting as there are elements of the existing tooling that could be reused I would expect. The body would be a new moulding yes but that whilst is expensive won't be the be all and end all.

Having got quite intimate with the construction of a Bachmann HTA, about the only usable elements that won't require new toolings are the handbrake wheels, bogies and the hopper door mouldings for the two outer hoppers..............

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Having got quite intimate with the construction of a Bachmann HTA, about the only usable elements that won't require new toolings are the handbrake wheels, bogies and the hopper door mouldings for the two outer hoppers..............

Oddly enough I almost put in that post "but having had them to bits you'll know better than me"

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, martin_l_jones said:

In that case I’d hate to think how much one of these would cost if it ever came to fruition.

TBH, the HRA hopper would be entirely suitable for Dapol's method of construction of their HIA - and look out how well priced that is!

• Agree 1

I wish Bachmann could also adopt Dapol’s release strategy, I notice the latest batch of HIA’s are coming out with another six running number variant’s....

Yes I mentioned this in my whinging earlier in the thread I think, I'd expect MOQs to be based around moulding runs not printing runs and so where is the downside?

2 minutes ago, newbryford said:

TBH, the HRA hopper would be entirely suitable for Dapol's method of construction of their HIA - and look out how well priced that is!

And whilst not as good as some others I don't feel it is left wanting for more details I'd rather pay £24 for one of those than £40 for one with more detail!

I wish Bachmann could also adopt Dapol’s release strategy, I notice the latest batch of HIA’s are coming out with another six running number variant’s....

Even Hornby does it better. With some wagons, a set of three plus a single appear, all differently numbered. A repeat a year or two  later and bingo! Eight wagons. Dapol’s four-at-a-time* release strategy is also easier on the pocket than twenty or so wagons at once, which is Accurascale strategy (admittedly sweetened by a discount).

* In this case, six.

43 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Even Hornby does it better. With some wagons, a set of three plus a single appear, all differently numbered. A repeat a year or two  later and bingo! Eight wagons. Dapol’s four-at-a-time* release strategy is also easier on the pocket than twenty or so wagons at once, which is Accurascale strategy (admittedly sweetened by a discount).

* In this case, six.

I did this on Tuesday with Coalfishes. 1 3 pack, 1 on its own, 3 in the "EWS freight pack" (which has 67003 in it :S) so 7 different numbered wagons all from H's current range. 67 is likely to be renumbered to 67008 so it is at least 2020 vintage even though it will probably be grey and red soon or chucked on eBay.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, No Decorum said:

* In this case, six.

It's not bad, but Dapol are now up to twenty four differently numbered HIA wagons in three or four releases, so in reality its at least two rakes for most people...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's not bad, but Dapol are now up to twenty four differently numbered HIA wagons in three or four releases, so in reality its at least two rakes for most people...

That's half of the 4-ribbed fleet if the numbers are below 369048 (also bearing in mind that 27 of those are white). 369049 upwards are the visibly different 2-rib version

Edited by newbryford
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, newbryford said:

That's half of the 4-ribbed fleet if the numbers are below 369048 (also bearing in mind that 27 of those are white). 369049 upwards are the visibly different 2-rib version

One hundred and twenty two in the fleet.....

Interestingly only one of the whole batch which is 369052, all the remainder are below 369048 inc the new batch...

22 hours ago, newbryford said:

I've just put the wagon pictures together.......mmm

I would of thought a few mods to the body tooling adding different ends t the tooling and you'd get away with it...

New bogies, handwheels.....

Hoppers.jpg

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, martin_l_jones said:

I would of thought a few mods to the body tooling adding different ends t the tooling and you'd get away with it...

My quote was referring to the HTA-HRA differences.

This is the end angle difference between a HTA/HRA and the HYA/IIA . Not too sure if that could be accommodated with a single tool and slides.

e1.jpg.0d0279ec2e3f538029c99dce2e1dd1aa.jpge2.jpg.7d7068fe6dbb05dbecb25e1e7f43c5e3.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 04/06/2020 at 21:05, martin_l_jones said:

Hoppers.jpg

Well done Accurascale, made me a happy man.......

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...

Just picking up this thread again, particularly around the potential demand for a re-run of Bachmann's JJA autoballasters.

I do wonder how many of us are, like me, sat with a 'short' rake of these desperately waiting for some more to be released or become available secondhand to form a prototypical full rake of 5? It would seem however that the demand for the non-generator versions in partcular is well understood by the profiteers with some being put on eBay today at a starting price of £130 each! It will be interesting to see if they sell at that price....

• Agree 1