Replacement of Silver King tender

raymondo15

I need to obtain a whole new tender for my Hornby Silver King, rolling no. 2511, after a recent accident (climbing down from the attic). I have reviewed Ebay, written to Hornby for advice, but nothing comes near. There are no service sheets available for a guide, yet.

Is it possible to buy such a large spare anyway?

regards

Ray Isaac

I am sorry to read that - damage like that can be so annoying.  You have my sympathy.

Perhaps a few emails to businesses like Paters Spares, Hattons, Rails etc may be useful as they may have one of the silver a4 tenders as parts.

Otherwise it is all about being patient on ebay (or equivalent) - looking for another one that has either been parted out or is similarly in need of repair in a different area. 

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately Silver LNER tenders are in short supply.

Even older 1980’s tender drives ones will fetch towards £40+

Theres a ready supply of LNER silver A4’s (all 4 of them from AC models, for a reasonable price, but no tenders).  Thought train is perhaps these are spares from the last Hornby limited edition, which of course as a spare’s source didnt have a tender... and hence buyers of these are chasing the same target tender driving that demand.

Ebay as always your best bet, or when exhibitions re-open, to find one in a stall holders tray.

Theres plenty of tender spares out there, so if you can save the body, getting the bits may be easier.

Edited by adb968008

The version I know of silver king Hornby did had the older style tender with a dummy drive tender it shared with the railroad scotsman. If it is that one have the remains of it clips at the front and has 2 screws located inside near the corridor side. If it is the other super detail one all you might get is grey base tender frame possibly with the wheels. I would ask the mentioned above

• Like 1

You don't say how much and what parts are damaged so badly not to be able to be rebuilt. So long as you were able to collect up all the bits, I'm sure it would be salvageable. Even if some parts were lost, some scratch building could make good, I'm sure. Never give up, give it a go. Put up a photo of it if you can, as it will help us to give more detailed advice.

Good luck with it, stay well and safe,

Tod

• Like 1

Usual problem with repairs to RTR is matching the paint, even a scratch looks awful and is really jars when its on the layout.    Silver is even worse than the Khaki colour that Hornby management insist on painting GW locos but at least they look so awful that a compete repaint is a really good idea.

Quite so, but the issue is finding out what the structural damage is before getting to the cosmetic stage, if indeed that is necessary. I'm hoping that the originator will get in touch with me, in order to allow me to help him. It is odd that having thrown out  a request for help, there has been no follow up. I hope that all is well, especially in the current virus pandemic.

Tod

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, SweenyTod1 said:

Quite so, but the issue is finding out what the structural damage is before getting to the cosmetic stage, if indeed that is necessary. I'm hoping that the originator will get in touch with me, in order to allow me to help him. It is odd that having thrown out  a request for help, there has been no follow up. I hope that all is well, especially in the current virus pandemic.

Tod

Dont feel bad, the member has been here since 2012, and only made 2 posts (the first being Jan 2019). They may just prefer to read than contribute.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A quick look shows its the early 2000’s tooling, so a Chinese made, loco drive version, it is the super detailed version. (The railroad version has moulded coal to the top of the body).

The body in all probability will fit the most current Hornby A4, as the modification since were to move the DCC chip to the tender chassis and add the plug wiring.

If you need it for the “plug” chassis version, The later chassis for the plug wiring is available as spare from ACModels, or of course you could just modify the wiring of the A4 loco, but it is the Super detailed tender.

Edited by adb968008