Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

I've just been sorting through some photographs I bought in a job lot from the local auction house.  Among them are some decent  shots of what looks to me like a narrow gauge railway.  There is no information apparent on  what they are who who was the photographer but they all take the form of photo postcards. (I know that it was often the practice to have  your photos printed on postcards and indeed there are three duplicates among them).  Many of the other photos in the job lot seem to be just pre-war.  As  will be seen from the attachments I have included. they are all of  what look like  cow catcher fitted narrow gauge steam locomotives  with a couple including a station. Most are of heavily loaded cattle trains but a  couple include passenger  stock.  My immediate prejudice is for (maybe) Ireland?   I have trawled through all the obvious options I can  think of on the internet but have not found anything to match.  I do not believe they have been published before.

Can anybody  help me here?  I have included numbers on the bottom left of each picture to aid description/ discussion and response

unknown 17.jpg

unknown 18.jpg

unknown 19.jpg

unknown 20.jpg

unknown 21.jpg

unknown 22.jpg

• Like 8

Nos. 3 & 4 are of the Owenascaul bridge just east of Annascaul on the Tralee and Dingle.

No.6 is by W.A. Camwell, is near Camp (T & D)  and dates from 29th April 1938, published on the front page of May 1939 Railway Magazine (and also in Whitehouse and Snell, Narrow Gauge Railways of the British Isles, which is where I got this info from.)  I suspect No.5 is also a W.A. Camwell photo of similar vintage, probably the same place and train. 

Edited to add:

Indeed they all might be W.A. Camwell photos, as No. 4 is also a W.A. Camwell photo of Spring 1938 (info from David Rowlands, The Tralee and Dingle Railway, where the photo appears).

And again:

Photo Nos. 1 and 2 must be before 1939, as the passenger service stopped that year

Edited by eastglosmog
Source of one of the other photos
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

More photos that came from the same batch as the others posted here.

I'm  wondering if anyone can confirm for me  whether (or not) these are also Tralee & Dingle.

I'm  thinking pic No14 could be Dingle or Castlegregory?  Its plainly beside the sea.

Pic No 23 looks likely?

Pics Nos 24 and 25: Did the T&D  ever have 2-4-2Ts?  Dont think so - but Belfast & Co Down, Belfast & Northern Counties, Northern Counties Commitee and GNRI did (the latter's class JT  sort of looks possible)?

Don't think the T&D  ever had a steam railcar like that in pic 22?  (Looks a bit like some of the LNER steam railcars)?

unknown 14.jpg

unknown 22.jpg

unknown 23.jpg

unknown 24.jpg

unknown 25.jpg

Numbers 24 and 25 are of former Cork, Blackrock & Passage locos in the yard at Ballinamore after their transfer to the Cavan & Leitrim - the C&L carriage just visible in number 25 is very distinctive.

Number 23 is at Kilkee on the West Clare and depicts that railway's 0-6-2T no.5 (I think) and original compartment carriages. I think that no.5 survived, plinthed at Ellis.

I am sorry but I don't immediately recognise no.14 but there were a number of locations where three foot gauge lines ran close to the sea in both the Republic and Northern Ireland.

9 hours ago, bécasse said:

I am sorry but I don't immediately recognise no.14 but there were a number of locations where three foot gauge lines ran close to the sea in both the Republic and Northern Ireland.

Did NE and LMS lettered wagons run anywhere in Ireland?

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, bécasse said:

Numbers 24 and 25 are of former Cork, Blackrock & Passage locos in the yard at Ballinamore after their transfer to the Cavan & Leitrim - the C&L carriage just visible in number 25 is very distinctive.

Number 23 is at Kilkee on the West Clare and depicts that railway's 0-6-2T no.5 (I think) and original compartment carriages. I think that no.5 survived, plinthed at Ellis.

West Clare No5 was restored to full working order by Keefs near Monmouth a few years ago, and is seen in service at Moyasta Junction on the West Clare, on 5th June 2012. Very friendly, running on demand on a very wet day (we'd arrived in a heatwave the previous weekend). My daughter, seen with me on the footplate, turned 13 yesterday. Where does the time go?

014.JPG

023.JPG

016.JPG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Nick Holliday said:

Did NE and LMS lettered wagons run anywhere in Ireland?

Ah. I had wondered if no.14 was a standard gauge location, and obviously somewhere on the British mainland, not Ireland at all! I still don't recognise it.

Many thamks to you experts - especially Andy Kirkham, Sir Douglas, becasse, Nick Holliday and Tim Hall.

I agree, following  further research,  that photo 22  shows Cheshire Lines Committee Sentinel-Cammellsteam railcar No 601.

I shall have to dig some more on photo 14 (well  spotted NE & LMS Nick)!