The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Post lockdown easing...... Rubbish!

newbryford

• RMweb Premium
On 06/06/2020 at 09:57, melmerby said:

Looks like the illegal lockdown trips to the SW & NW (two of the most badly affected areas for unauthorised visits) has possibly had an effect as the R number in both those areas is now increasing again.

Official figures give the R number in both at 1 but some are claiming it is now over 1, the point at which infection starts spreading again.

Estimates suggest many are first time visitors and they leave a lot of rubbish just anywhere

If they largely weren't locals the impact locally should be small.

• RMweb Premium

Several years ago my mum was annoyed at seeing some teens dump a half-eaten bag of chips out of a car window and reported the registration to the police, expecting the police to roll their eyes at her for wasting their time but they didn't, and went around to the house (I recall that she said they called her back and told her the dad was furious with his daughter, but would the police report back like that to the person who made the call?)

On 06/06/2020 at 09:57, melmerby said:

Looks like the illegal lockdown trips to the SW & NW (two of the most badly affected areas for unauthorised visits) has possibly had an effect as the R number in both those areas is now increasing again.

Official figures give the R number in both at 1 but some are claiming it is now over 1, the point at which infection starts spreading again.........”

Apparently, the increases are mainly in Weston-super-Mare (largely due to day trippers from the Midlands) and Bristol but they’re recorded under the blanket heading of the SW. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ashcombe said:

Apparently, the increases are mainly in Weston-super-Mare (largely due to day trippers from the Midlands) and Bristol but they’re recorded under the blanket heading of the SW. 

It will be interesting to see if we get any rises in other areas after last weekends protest/riots.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MJI said:

Pubs to open on 4th July?

That is a day too late for the 82nd anniversary.

Rather maybe to celebrate OUR independence?? :jester: :jester: :yahoo_mini: :jester:

Hmmm, leaving on a fast train!

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Funny 1

On 02/06/2020 at 23:16, JDW said:

What has shocked me though is how many people seem so desperate to not only go to a beach or wherever, but to go to McDonalds, KFC, etc, and sit in a queue for hours to get served. I'm not sure what the answer is when it comes to the resulting rubbish, do we accept that people will do it anyway, so provide more bins etc in places they're likely to go to? Or do we not do that, because it might be seen as tacit acceptance that it is  ok to do it? Likewise toilets, do we leave them shut and have people using every bush and wall, or open them and place sanitation (and the repercussions poor sanitation has for health) above transmitting the virus?

the answer to the takeaway rubbish (currently) is to print the registration number of the vehicle that is collecting the food order - not properly disgarded, the registered keeper of the vehicle gets a £100 fixed penalty, and a photo of the rubbish.

Regarding the sanitation issue, we need more of them opened, not just the ones that have been shut this year, but the ones that have been shut for a little while. The people that use them will use them however they have been - I have been in the toilets in motorway services, and I have witnessed people use the toilets and then walk straight out without washing their hands - they are beyond educating!!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I did notice that the toilet blocks were open at Ferry Meadows, earlier this week, along with the re-opening of the cafes as take-away outlets. The rangers are out and about, emptying bins and taping over the portable barbecue stands and disposal points; people seem to be taking their rubbish with them. 

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Catkins said:

the answer to the takeaway rubbish (currently) is to print the registration number of the vehicle that is collecting the food order - not properly disgarded, the registered keeper of the vehicle gets a £100 fixed penalty, and a photo of the rubbish.

£1000.00 and points; don't mess around, go for the jugular!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Catkins said:

Regarding the sanitation issue, we need more of them opened, not just the ones that have been shut this year, but the ones that have been shut for a little while. The people that use them will use them however they have been - I have been in the toilets in motorway services, and I have witnessed people use the toilets and then walk straight out without washing their hands - they are beyond educating!!

To complicated.

Just charge take away food outlets a "litter" tax to be added to their published prices (higher VAT?). The international chains (often USA owned)  make a policy of local tax avoidance so it is time that they  were made to stand up to their local social responsibility. While this would also impact local suppliers, at least it would be an even playing field.

Re  personal hygiene, it is just one indicator of peoples stupidity. It is perhaps one area where the much vaunted "tech" that offers so many benefits to modern life could help. Anyone seen on cameral leaving a stall or urinal and tracking straight to the exit could  activate an "unclean" siren as they walk out.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Anyone seen on cameral leaving a stall or urinal and tracking straight to the exit could  activate an "unclean" siren as they walk out.

Can you imagine the noise at Warley, it would never stop....:rolleyes:

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Re  personal hygiene, it is just one indicator of peoples stupidity. It is perhaps one area where the much vaunted "tech" that offers so many benefits to modern life could help. Anyone seen on cameral leaving a stall or urinal and tracking straight to the exit could  activate an "unclean" siren as they walk out.

I didn't realise that 'Siren' was a rifle manufacturer!

• Funny 2