Hornby R3473 Class 56

Krieghoff

12 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Pity about the fans - I like that feature and yes, I'm aware many don't.

I have a number of Hornby 56's all with rotating fans. Never had any issue with them and they certainly look good when the loco is going at a slow crawl. Not sure why Hornby discontinued them, perhaps you could get the belt drive as a spare and retro fit, though I'm not sure if the internal layout has changed too.

You may also be able to fit a micro motor to power them at a more realistic constant speed if using DCC.

• RMweb Gold

I have vague memory of reading an article where someone powered the roof fan, I think on a Hornby 50 not a 56. They might have used one of the motors from the Hornby 58 and put two powered function outputs for the chip  as one was not enough. I would guess a scottrains29 says a micro motor might be the way to go. I am sure someone as done it. 

Guest Half-full
6 hours ago, atom3624 said:

That's something I've often wondered about - getting one of those PC cooling fans - must be something small enough ... perhaps.

Al.

Motors that are used to produce the vibration on mobile phones are tiny - 7 mm thick, 16mm long or so

Edited by Half-full

• RMweb Gold

I found with the class 50 I had, if I’d not used it for awhile the rubber band dried out and made a awful squeal.  I also think after awhile, the rubber band would draw to much from the motor and it would affect performance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've heard this, but I've got my 50 out at the moment.

It was pretty fast, but I hadn't 'cleaned and lubed' for a while, so did so.

The very smooth and quiet locomotive is now nearly totally silent and REALLY fast - nearly as fast as my very healthy Virgin Class 43 Super Detail - which is REALLY fast!!

It's nearly flinging the coaches off the 4th radius circular test track I have - that's with 11 coaches!

Fan's great and looks great.

I've yet to encounter this negative often mentioned - hopefully I never will as I love it!

Al.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I found with the class 50 I had, if I’d not used it for awhile the rubber band dried out and made a awful squeal.  I also think after awhile, the rubber band would draw to much from the motor and it would affect performance.

My HSTs done that too.

also worth noting the shaft can seize, it can be unsized on much the same way the bearings on the tops of the gear towers on bogies can.

• Like 1