N Farish coach: How do I change the coach number?

I have an identical pair of Graham Farish Mk1 Maroon SK coaches (374-053G).

I would like to change the coach number on one of them without doing any harm to the rest of the paintwork.

Are there any recommended techniques for making such changes and are they easy or hard?

Ross.

Edited by RBTKraisee

• RMweb Premium

Rub the old number off with a cocktail stick. Fox Transfers should have a suitable replacement.

You might want to seal it in with some varnish. If you do, make sure you mask the windows.

Steven B

1 minute ago, RBTKraisee said:

Might the same trick work for removing the yellow first class line above the windows or would it end up looking really rough?

Ross.

These are SK (corridor second) coaches, so they haven't got a yellow first class stripe, the yellow as printed is part of the coach livery on any maroon MkI.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear there!

I haven't been able to find a BSK for a reasonable price anywhere, so considering this technique, I'm thinking of buying a BCK and removing the window decals, the yellow '1' on the door and the yellow line above the window thus turning it into a BSK :)

I'm just checking to confirm that removing the long yellow line using this same technique of just rubbing it gently off, will leave a reasonable looking result.

Ross.

Edited by RBTKraisee

Y'know, now I look closely at a picture of the exact BCK coach I'm thinking about, I don't actually see a thick yellow line above the windows, just the normal thin standard livery line.

Ross.

374-084B.IMG_0526.jpg?preset=large

• RMweb Premium

Interesting, it should have the yellow line from the 1 marked door then across the top of the three adjacent windows.

It should be noted by the way that a BSK and a BCK are very different beasts in the minutae of Mk1's, the BSK has four compartments over the BCK's five and the window layouts aft of the passenger accomodation are different as well.

As far as I am aware, no BCK's were ever declassified officially at least although it is not beyond possibility that it may have occured on a temporary local basis but probably without external markings being altered.

With a bit of work in N the BCK could masquerade as an unavailable BSO but again the window arrangement is wrong.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Interesting, it should have the yellow line from the 1 marked door then across the top of the three adjacent windows.

Like this:

https://flic.kr/p/S8g4R9

It looks like none of the batch of Farish Maroon BSKs had the yellow line, but the green and the blue/grey did...

Best

Scott.