Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

On 14/01/2021 at 21:33, simontaylor484 said:

Copd is not just caused by smoking it can be caused by inhalation of dust particles that irritate the linings of the lungs a lot of ex miners and up with copd along with folk that have worked in dusty trades

Anything potentially involving industrial injury compensation claims, will be treated as requiring to come up to the necessary standard of evidence; the chances of it being contested by someone needs to be provided for. This is particularly true for any diagnosis or assessment carried out at a contracted private hospital, which will have some sort of liability to insure against. 

• Informative/Useful 4

50 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Anything potentially involving industrial injury compensation claims, will be treated as requiring to come up to the necessary standard of evidence; the chances of it being contested by someone needs to be provided for. This is particularly true for any diagnosis or assessment carried out at a contracted private hospital, which will have some sort of liability to insure against. 

I know samples from miners lungs were sent to Sheffield for testing 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Had a cup of tea and had to eat the rest of the Apricot scones.

We left them out for PB last night,  but he was a no show:mocking_mini:.

You've not checked the HSR lately, have you......:laugh:

I did stop by, gave 'em a quick sniff and a lick but then the little good gremlin inside me decided that wiping out your entire stock just wouldn't be cricket....

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

You've not checked the HSR lately, have you......:laugh:

I did stop by, gave 'em a quick sniff and a lick but then the little good gremlin inside me decided that wiping out your entire stock just wouldn't be cricket....

My gremlin would have said scoff the lot and damn the consequences.:jester:

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

West Yorkshire had a load ending in PYG.  In fact I learned to drive in one, a Hillman Avenger.

Jamie

There was a series in South Shields in the late 70's that were 'STY'. TY being a local-ish suffix.

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

There were some cars A and B reg cars round here with NUM suffix

UM was Leeds along with U and UA. The mayoral car in Leeds is U1.  At least it's not Nottingham which had RA BRA38D was a sought after combination for some reason.

6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Morris Miners?

Where's that Groan button.

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I need to collect the car this morning. (I had arranged to leave it at the garage over the weekend.)

Then I shall be required to carry out tidying and cleaning duties.

After that it will be tidy up the new Robin box before giving it some form of preservative coat prior to mounting on the wall outside the kitchen window.

For those that may have missed the original tale, the old box was removed last year after a Jay was seen raiding the nest and stealing the eggs/eating the chicks.

The new box, cobbled together from sections of an old door, has a porch and a set back (at right angles to the entrance) nesting area.

I've done my best, but I am worried that the Robin will just nest in the porch thus offering the Jay  second helpings.

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

I bought my first new car, a Mk 2 Cortina, in 1967 when I was just finishing my advanced flying training at RAF Valley in Anglesey, hence it had an EY numberplate. I then went to Chivenor in Devon for the Hunter operational conversion course and was surprised one day when I was in Barnstaple and as I was unlocking my car a chap came over and started chatting away to me in Welsh. When it became apparent that I didn't understand him he switched to English and said that the car's numberplate had led him to think that I was from North Wales. 

HH has just reminded me that it is time I started cleaning and fettling the bird boxes hereabouts. We had a pair of pigeons nest in the ornamental cherry tree outside the front door last year, which was quite entertaining until the chicks started cra**ing all over the path, and for the last week or so there's been a pigeon hanging around said tree. Whether it's one of last year's pair or one of the youngsters we don't know but Jill says that if it starts nest building she's going to try to deter it.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

My second car had the letters MGT.... It didn't go that fast.. it was an ancient Anglia van..

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

HH has just reminded me that it is time I started cleaning and fettling the bird boxes hereabouts. We had a pair of pigeons nest in the ornamental cherry tree outside the front door last year, which was quite entertaining until the chicks started cra**ing all over the path, and for the last week or so there's been a pigeon hanging around said tree. Whether it's one of last year's pair or one of the youngsters we don't know but Jill says that if it starts nest building she's going to try to deter it.

Dave

If it's either feral or a wood pigeon, then you may deploy quite robust AAA, ( I still prefer the term Flak) as they are listed as pest species according to the latest general licence issued by Natural England and DeFRA.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Years ago most of the pigeons here were the feral type, probably on a day out from Trafalgar Square. Now they are predominantly wood pigeons. It is quite amusing seeing them trying to hang on to the bird feeders. For many years there were a lot of magpies and they did use the bird boxes as feeders but they seem to have moved on. Rooks are doing well. Not in our garden but in some oak trees on nearby farmland. A few years ago they occupied one tree now they use three. I don’t know where they fly off to feed, certainly not in our garden. We do get crows occasionally but usually they just sit on the roof.

Tony

• Like 7