Great Continental Railway Journeys series 7

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Michael (or should that be Miguel?) Portillo starts a new Journey in Spain, the Land of his Father.

He will be travelling from Salamanca to Canfranc near the Pyrenean border with France.

Canfranc has a huge impressive but now derelict border station just south of the closed tunnel to France.

Wednesday 29th July on BBC2 2000

The following week he is in France, travelling from Orlean to Reims

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Episode 3 Berlin - Stuttgart was scheduled to be broadcast last night (WED 12th August) at 20.00 but, despite being in the listing magazines and on the programme planner, it failed to materialise.  Anyone know why?  BBC now list it for SAT 15th at 18:30 but still list Episodes 4 and 5 for the following Wednesdays.  I'm confused!

Martin

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, jpendle said:

Probably because there was a fatal train accident yesterday.

John P

Pathetic really as they wouldn't scrap a food programme if there had been a mass outbreak of food poisoning or stop showing a cycle race if cyclists had been killed on a London Street etc. etc.

Illogical as there isn't any consistency.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Pendennis said:

Episode 3 Berlin - Stuttgart was scheduled to be broadcast last night (WED 12th August) at 20.00 but, despite being in the listing magazines and on the programme planner, it failed to materialise.  Anyone know why?  BBC now list it for SAT 15th at 18:30 but still list Episodes 4 and 5 for the following Wednesdays.  I'm confused!

Martin

The rescheduling didn't even take place until after the replacement programme had been shown so my recorder kept waiting for it to start.

• RMweb Premium

It appeared on the guide on my TV early in the evening (about 6pm) but after I'd rushed about getting stuff done in time to settle down to watch it, it wasn't there any more!  I thought I was going mad.

Channel Five's 'Walking Britain's  Lost Railways' programme on Wednesday evening was also withdrawn, perhaps more understandably as it was to feature the Deeside Railway, not that far from the accident site.

• Informative/Useful 1

It's no longer listed for Saturday! Episode 3 has now been posrponed until next Wednesday so b****r-all on to watch tomorrow night after all!

Edited by HSB
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The logic of BBC schedulers shows no bounds.

The episode on Saturday is still showing in the recorder's guide because they have only half updated it.

The Wednesday one is showing as series linked from Saturday with the same programme content

It's getting as bad as ITV where they have changed programmes without changing the PDC info and the wrong programme gets recorded.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, HSB said:

It's no longer listed for Saturday! Episode 3 has now been posrponed until next Wednesday so b****r-all on to watch tomorrow night after all!

Best do some modelling then;)

• RMweb Premium
On 13/08/2020 at 19:44, Pendennis said:

Martin

There's been some  confusion here.

There was always intended to be an episode on Saturday as a repeat of the previous Wednesday's episode, so it didn't get "rescheduled" to Saturday.  (It's listed in the Radio Times.)

The Beeb later removed it from Saturday as there wasn't now an episode to repeat.

The series continues on Wednesday from where it left off.

I tried filing a complaint on Wednesday after the episode had been replaced with no prior warning.  All I could glean from the on-line complaints system was that changes are often made at short notice.  I know that: why do you think I complained?  What a nanny state we live in.

Chris 

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 13/08/2020 at 19:47, jpendle said:

Probably because there was a fatal train accident yesterday.

John P

It used to be standard procedure, in the event of a significant incident, for the broadcasters to not only postpone programmes that might be deigned to be relevant, but to take out any commercials that might, directly or indirectly, be seen to be 'relevant'. My wife used to be an engineer in the transmission suite of a regional TV company. and was on shift when 'Herald of Free Enterprise' sank. She had a very busy evening checking every break for possibily  relevant content

• Friendly/supportive 1

It now appesars that tonight's repeat is off as well and yet more snooker will be offered in its place.

I look forward to the BBC's explanation for the cancellation.  They have had since Wednesday to think of one.  Quite how sensitivities could be offended by Portaloo's programme when there was coverage of the accident all day on the News Channel could be interesting to explain.

Chris

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, chrisf said:

It now appesars that tonight's repeat is off as well and yet more snooker will be offered in its place.

Chris

Obvious really as I said a few posts previously. There isn't anything to repeat.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pendennis said:

In their infinite wisdom, the BBC have put the German episode from the 2015 series on iPlayer; Freiburg to Hanover in two 30 minute bits.  Are they trying to con us or what.

Martin

No. Not unless you consider showing episodes in order is a con.

That series was currently being repeated on BBC4/ iPlayer as "Series 4 Reversions" anyway.

The episode was shown on the 20 July and had 4 days left on iPlayer

Edited by melmerby

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

No. Not unless you consider showing episodes in order is a con.

That series was currently being repeated on BBC4/ iPlayer as "Series 4 Reversions" anyway.

The episode was shown on the 20 July and had 4 days left on iPlayer

But on the BBC2 iPlayer they list Episode 1 Salamanca-Canfranc, Episode 2 Orleans-Reims and the two German ones - that's all!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pendennis said:

But on the BBC2 iPlayer they list Episode 1 Salamanca-Canfranc, Episode 2 Orleans-Reims and the two German ones - that's all!

Sorry no.

The only episode available from series 4 is part 2 of the German trip:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08h80s0

This was the last of that series broadcast 3½ weeks ago on BBC4 (and then put on iPlayer for 30 days)

The others are from series 7 (the current one)

Edited to add relevant info

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium
On 13/08/2020 at 20:40, melmerby said:

The rescheduling didn't even take place until after the replacement programme had been shown so my recorder kept waiting for it to start.

Mine's doing that at the moment!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 31A said:

Mine's doing that at the moment!

I turn the timer off for that series linked programme, the non-recording then becomes a "fail" and turn it back on again and Wednesday's episode is the next in the timer list. Then just delete the failed recording.

Does yours allow that?