Mitre box help please

Hello everybody can I ask for you help please.

I do a fair bit of cutting and shutting of loco and coach bodies in OO

Can any one recommend a good moddlers Mitre box one that might have a sliding side so it almost "clamps the body of what ever is to be cut in place. Its wanted for straight cuts across the loco/coach body at right angles only

Thanks Steve

• RMweb Gold

I can't help with a mitre box, I have a kobex hand mitre saw, I bought it for doing small Jo a like architraves and various small woodworking jobs that didn't really require a electric saw, not cheap but very good and accurate cuts. 

• RMweb Gold

I don't know of any mitre box with a sliding side (although it is a great idea).  I've always used G-clamps to hold the item firmly to one side of the box, perhaps with a bit of packing in the gap opposite.

Edited by Ian Simpson

Let alone cutting loco bodies, I've not found a really good one for cutting smaller-section timber in recent years. The archetypal 2"x1" for instance. I have a now old and rather worn-out hardwood one, and use wedges to hold things if necessary.

I have a good very small one, which I think might be X-acto, aluminium, which is good for wood up to about 12mm section.

One difficulty I can foresee with loco bodies is that not all have a good firm edge (running-board or whatever) that is perpendicular to the required cuts, and another difficulty is that they loose their strength once cut, so keeping things square for even one cut is painful, and for more than one a right pig.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Londontram said:

Hello everybody can I ask for you help please.

I do a fair bit of cutting and shutting of loco and coach bodies in OO

Can any one recommend a good moddlers Mitre box one that might have a sliding side so it almost "clamps the body of what ever is to be cut in place. Its wanted for straight cuts across the loco/coach body at right angles only

Thanks Steve

Would this be any help?

https://www.ebmahobby.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=65&product_id=91

• Like 1

Try looking for a draper mini mitre box. They have a internal size of 35mm (ish) and a height between 40-50mm, perfect size for BR coaches etc on OO gauge.

DSCF0927.JPG.06cff65cb157065dc81dfe5ac12ff902.JPG

Here is mine with a replica coach inside.

Edited by cheesysmith
add photo
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 2 weeks later...

• RMweb Gold
On 24/07/2020 at 09:00, Londontram said:

Would this one be any good ?

https://www.diy.com/departments/magnusson-plastic-steel-mitre-box/1798070_BQ.prd

• Thanks 1

It doesn't have to be super strong and heavy duty as its only for cutting up plastic locos and carriages not sections of two by two I've got an old wooden one in the shed for that.

I'll have a better idea when I see one in the flesh.

• RMweb Gold

I'll be interested to see what you discover.

I have been keeping an eye on this thread since you started it as I'll be needing the same thing at some point.  I have very little faith in my ability to cut coach bodies at right angles.  The key problem seems to be that DIY mitre boxes have slots that are too wide, i.e. they allow too much side-to-side movement for a slim bladed modelling saw.

More reseach required.  So far I like the look of these but they lack your clamping feature.  (Just an example link, not a recommendation.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, teaky said:

I'll be interested to see what you discover.

I have been keeping an eye on this thread since you started it as I'll be needing the same thing at some point.  I have very little faith in my ability to cut coach bodies at right angles.  The key problem seems to be that DIY mitre boxes have slots that are too wide, i.e. they allow too much side-to-side movement for a slim bladed modelling saw.

More reseach required.  So far I like the look of these but they lack your clamping feature.  (Just an example link, not a recommendation.)

I like the look of that one too (do you have a link?).  I'd buy a good one then add my own clamping feature - that's much easier than struggling with a cr@p one from the outset.

• RMweb Gold

I don't have a specific link.  I plan to spend some time searching in order to establish the best combination of saw and mitre box.  There are several sizes, tooth numbers and multiple suppliers including some who sell under their own name.

The start point would be a search for 'zona mitre box' and/or 'zona saw'.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, teaky said:

I don't have a specific link.  I plan to spend some time searching in order to establish the best combination of saw and mitre box.  There are several sizes, tooth numbers and multiple suppliers including some who sell under their own name.

The start point would be a search for 'zona mitre box' and/or 'zona saw'.

No idea if this is the cheapest UK supplier, but they're available here:

https://www.maritime-models.co.uk/acatalog/model-making-saws-mitre-boxes.html