0-24.5mm narrow-gauge

A recent job lot purchase from eBay included a Peco 0-16.5 Hunslet 0-4-0 saddle tank part built kit plus an interesting chassis

261.jpeg.e49a5254942866b0ac2907af1b489045.jpeg

To start with I wondered what was the idea, usually you would expect an 0-16.5 chassis to be in the region of 11/12 mm wide, this one is 23 mm

262.jpeg.be6ef866834ba6e5bca0f7f916f1b257.jpeg

Then I thought it might be trying to represent 3' gauge but it was still too wide, so perhaps 3'6"These first 2 photos are upside down.

263.jpeg.3f021d495c0b9459b5c8f476379e137f.jpeg

The inside chassis frame looks to be about 00 gauge being 11.5 mm wide with 1/8 axle holes, the outside 23 mm with just under 5mm holes

264.jpeg.118081183bb6ab03bd94b4dba8f9aebb.jpeg

The chassis is still in the rough, a bit too long, screws not countersunk and the footplate needs a bit of work underneath for a flush fit

265.jpeg.7d29061c5b73f5453083b56e48d641f7.jpeg

Do many model 7mm scale 3' 6" gauge?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Asterix2012 said:

Is it double framed maybe?

I wondered that too. As the prototype was outside framed on 2ft (nominal!) gauge, was the original intent to use the 'archaic' motor in a slot system of inside frame with cosmetic outside ones after hollowing out the plastic? sandwiched between?

Branchlines do a pretty simple to build 'proper' chassis for this kit.

Did Hunslet export to the colonies? I'd assume they did, just like everyone else. If so, I could see 3'6" examples going to South Africa, NZ or various states of Australia. 

Funnily enough, though, in spite of living in a 3'6" state, I'm not aware of anyone modelling it in 7mm scale, as the usual choice of S scale allows H0 track, mechanisms and wheelsets to be used, making life much easier. 

• RMweb Premium

Hunslet built a huge amount of stuff for the colonies, Africa was one of their biggest markets.

There is a small but growing number of modellers in New Zealand using 1:48 scale (US O gauge), I've designed some diesel loco kits for this market. The choice of scale is a bit obscure for UK modellers but 1:48 equates to S scale standard gauge for 3'6" - personally I find all this fiddiling about with different scales a bit silly, the easiest thing to change is the track gauge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Hunslet built a huge amount of stuff for the colonies, Africa was one of their biggest markets.

There is a small but growing number of modellers in New Zealand using 1:48 scale (US O gauge), I've designed some diesel loco kits for this market. The choice of scale is a bit obscure for UK modellers but 1:48 equates to S scale standard gauge for 3'6" - personally I find all this fiddiling about with different scales a bit silly, the easiest thing to change is the track gauge.

Given the chance to press the great reset button of history, 1/48 would have been the perfect O gauge on 27mm gauge rails. A completely imperial scale without the mathematical gymnastics of S gauge. Whilst personally committed to the benefits of the metric SI system, the extra space created by 6mm rather than 7 to the foot would make all the difference to small and medium sized layouts.

Looking at the black lines drawn on the green plastic spacers, is it possible that the intention was to remove the material between them to allow space for the wheels, just leaving the material where the brass spacers are in between the frames?