00 Gauge coache wheel size, Help please.

Hi All,

Not sure if this is in correct section and i know it's been raised hundreds of times before! I have 20 Mk1 Hornby & Lima coaches that have plastic & old steel wheel sets. All need to be changed to (modern / better) steel wheels as running on peco flexitrack & turnouts (not very well at present due to derailments)

Due to amount of information available i'm confused as to what to change them to. Ideally i'd like DCC concepts ( DCF-WS1214 or DCF-WS1212) so as to fit carriage lighting in future. After measuring some wheels i have 15.30mm O/D (flange to flange) 13.14mm O/D (on running section of wheel). So question is do i go for 12mm or 14mm wheels? As station etc have already been built to current running heights. Thanks and sorry for raising this subject again!

IMG_5127.JPG

Do bear in mind too that Hornby use the (more or less) standard 26 mm over pinpoint axles and Lima used 24.5 mm over pinpoint axles. Alan Gibson wheels can be supplied to either of these, their default if you don't specify is 26 mm.  

13 hours ago, amber32 said:

I have 20 Mk1 Hornby & Lima coaches that have plastic & old steel wheel sets.

So question is do i go for 12mm or 14mm wheels?

If fitting 14mm. wheels, be prepared - if necessary - to cut clearance holes in the floors to clear the larger wheels.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...

The problem is  that both Hornby (I'm assuming the ex-Tri-ang type) and Lima have compromised their MK I bogies to suit their standard wheels.  A solution would be to fit Replica bogies which come complete with wheels of the correct size or as a kit without wheels. (Usual disclaimer)

http://www.replicarailways.co.uk/spares-and-accessories/accessories