Scalescenes wishlist

My point is more about the legal aspects, I know how to do the deed, but think it would be more acceptable if one was able to do it without laying oneself open to action under copyright rules.

As for which image processing application is best, I would suggest the one you are most familiar with using. The GIMP has a quite steep learning curve, if you know GIMP, use it, if another then use that, the GIMP is free which is a big advantage; the application I use is one I've been using since about 1991, followed through its upgrade versions over the years it does all I need so why change, I've made my own transfers for Maunsell coach sides among other things.

Edited by Dorsetmike

I would like to see a corrugated asbestos roofing (I know it's not environmentally friendly but it was once a widely used roofing material on the railways) texture sheet (possibly clean and weathered) added to the Scratchbuilder's Yard.

Timothy

• 3 weeks later...

My point is more about the legal aspects, I know how to do the deed, but think it would be more acceptable if one was able to do it without laying oneself open to action under copyright rules.

Not sure how you'd break copyright by altering the PDF for your own use. Bearing in mind with scalescenes you are allowed to reprint them, kit bash them and alter them to your hearts content.. for your own use.

Every page carries the copyright warning,

"any modification of this file or printout by the purchaser or any third party is strictly prohibited"

Although how one can kit bash without modifying the printout seems a bit of a contradiction, if you were to say cut off part of the printout so you could fit the building into a specific space does this constitute modification or admissable kit bashing? Cutting and other actions necessary to add a door or window or to block one off, I would call that modification, but it's also kit bashing.

By the same token one could use an image editor to achieve the same result and if extending a building doing it before printing means less joins to cope with, this would go partway to answering Metalhips desire for an odd number of terraced cottages, I have a row of 9 edited, (- from a different supplier- and also scaled down from 00 to N) a terrace of 9 fits on an A4 sheet and I was able to include a ginnel between cottages 4 & 5, cloned in a lintel and second storey over it.

I don't understand the reason behind the locked PDF files,but John Wiffen must have a reason. Prohibiting copying and redistributing is totally understandable though.

I can understand a copyright on the printouts, but not being able to alter them for personal use I don't understand.A proper explanation for the locked PDF files would good but I suppose it would only lead to a debate on the merits or not.

Allan

The reason behind it is so that if you buy a brown brick bridge and then decide further along the line you need a red brick one for instance you are then required to purchase the red version also. Otherwise you would only ever buy one version and photophop any other versions you require from that meaning less earnings for John.

Cav

I don't understand the reason behind the locked PDF files,but John Wiffen must have a reason. Prohibiting copying and redistributing is totally understandable though.

I can understand a copyright on the printouts, but not being able to alter them for personal use I don't understand.A proper explanation for the locked PDF files would good but I suppose it would only lead to a debate on the merits or not.

Allan

The reasoning behind locked PDFs is that they can not normally be edited thus preserving copyright.

Quite a lengthy thread, so do pardon if any of the following have been wishlist suggested before.

1. A common feature until modern image era, a gasometer assuming it pragmatically possible? Can't envisage how the supporting external girder structure detail could be rendered with sufficient suspension of disbelief in card, or if it even could be? One for John W's talent to advise on I expect.

2. Although we already have the half relief versatile Odeon/Woolworth high street buildings, I would love a half relief cinema in the art deco style similar to the Cheltenham Gaumont Palace in its heyday as Kingsway have recently added to their product line.

3. Also missing is a pre or post nationalisation era fire station to accomodate those wonderful Leyland TLM, Dennis F12, and AEC Regent III Fire engines by Oxford Diecast and Corgie. Half relief in the art deco style (Kingsway) or full build small urban local county style.

1. A common feature until modern image era, a gasometer assuming it pragmatically possible? Can't envisage how the supporting external girder structure detail could be rendered with sufficient suspension of disbelief in card,

Maybe one for a 3D printer? :nowinkclear:

Ian

Hi jacking the thread I feel to add to the wishlist!

Anyway, having just scratch built a dock/quayside warehouse I would like to see of a kit of a similar vein please?

Quite common from what I have seen over the years and could easily be made to fit any/most areas. Plenty of variation on the panels as well to allow them to be solid, windows, doors or loading docks etc.

Link in my signature shows my thread with an example

i hope you dont mind john but ive made a small adjustment to your new NSE station signs, as they are what i needed, ill post my adjustments here, and with johns perission ill use them. all ive done is add an 'a' and 'b' to some platform numbers.

nses2.doc

Edited by Dan Griffin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Would very much like to see station signage for the Big Four (1923-1947) in the same way that you already have the post 1947 regional signs. My personal wish is for LMS, but I'm sure that the other three would also be in demand. I guess these would actually just be additional textures for R001a.

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 1

Would very much like to see station signage for the Big Four (1923-1947) in the same way that you already have the post 1947 regional signs. My personal wish is for LMS, but I'm sure that the other three would also be in demand. I guess these would actually just be additional textures for R001a.

Perhaps with a 'type your own railway name' for pre-grouping. Purists would probably object that the colours aren't right, but the same colours as the BR Regions/Big Four would be a good start.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to see a terrace row of Georgian houses, four stories high at least. Backs are available from Bilteezi but fronts would be a great background on a station road behind the railway.

Richard, Utah, USA

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another request is for " Collyweston" slating for roofs in the Stamford. Lincs/Cambs area. I think these are very close to those from the Cotswolds. They are riven stone and vary in size from large to small as you progress up a roof.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I would like to see modern image portacabins ie, Knightwing style.

Maybe with different liveries, network rail, balfour beaty, etc etc.

Would complement the great modern image stuff that john is doing at present !

• Like 1

As there are already Railway Signs for the different regions etc, how about an equivalent for buses? In the popular post-war steam/diesel transition period for modelling, the Tilling and BTC bus groups covered most of the country, also with Corporation buses in many towns. What I'm thinking of are regional packs; my interest of East Anglia for instance could cover the likes of Eastern Counties, Eastern National, United Counties, & Corporations such as Ipswich, Gt.Yarmouth, Colchester etc. Give us a few timetable boards, bus stop signs, bus shelters, signs for bus stations such as route markings, waiting rooms etc, I feel it would be a very useful (& easy) scene-setter for railway modellers as well as bus modellers.

Stewart