Lookng for a pin vice for 0.3mm drills

• RMweb Premium
On 03/09/2020 at 14:14, cctransuk said:

I ordered one of these and it has now arrived.

I can confirm that is is smaller and lighter than the Eclipse blackened pin vices that I have used for years, and is of excellent construction, closing right down to zero.

If you need a small pin vice for those tiny drills - this is the one to get!

John Isherwood.

Good to know John......just ordered :good:

• RMweb Gold

Just to follow up, I have one of each of the 121s - the black and the silver one. They "feel" similar weight and both do the job very well. I've been using different size bits in each and because they are different colours it's easy to tell which is which. Well, that's how I've justified buying two to me lol :)

• Friendly/supportive 1

I bought a so called "decent" quality pin vice last weekend, after not using one for donkeys years i was totally gobsmacked at just how low quality they are now, damn, they used to be really heavy. the old one that i bought from the old model railway shop in hanley, s-o-t was heavy as a house, this one feels about the same weight as an empty matchbox lol, things certainly aren't made like they used to be

Edited by Graham Radish

Pin vices/chucks I have known. 

This is just a selection. 1970's Ellipse 121 is third from right. Currently manufactured 121 is fourth from right. Inset shows detail of the 121's.

I'm not quite sure about the notion that a pin vice needs to be heavy. After concentricity & handling I think the next quality of a pin vice is for it to be as light a possible. Especially once your getting down to bit sizes of less than about 0.6 mm.

97312017_PinViceChuck-004-PwD-EditIIsm.jpg.7eef44bcfb4dae1d0895be5dedd21aca.jpg

P

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The most important thing to check on a pin vice is the concentricity of the jaws, I've never bought one unseen and have seen some on sale at exhibitions which were dreadful, but it's difficult to do in these days of distance selling and an exhibitionless landscape.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

I have had no issues with my cheap Ebay/Squires pin-vices and jaw's being out of alignment and they are nice and light. They seem to work just fine especially after a little oil is applied to the spinning palm rest part.

Similar type here but I got mine from Ebay with a HSS drill bit set for £5.68.

https://www.amazon.com/Pin-Vise-Precision-Jewelry-0-6-3-0mm/dp/B07FJ6VD2P?currency=GBP&language=en_US

The issue I have is finding quality 0.3mm to 0.8mm drill bits with sharp tips. Breaking bits is very common at these tiny sizes, but I find I end up throwing half of them away because they are blunt straight from the box.

I have tried the squires ones, HSS sets, Expo tools, Heller, PCB and others and very few have good tips. Any recommendations? I use them for drilling mainly brass, aluminium (coach roofs etc) and plastic. 

Thanks

Ian

37 minutes ago, ianLMS said:

I have had no issues with my cheap Ebay/Squires pin-vices and jaw's being out of alignment and they are nice and light. They seem to work just fine especially after a little oil is applied to the spinning palm rest part.

Similar type here but I got mine from Ebay with a HSS drill bit set for £5.68.

https://www.amazon.com/Pin-Vise-Precision-Jewelry-0-6-3-0mm/dp/B07FJ6VD2P?currency=GBP&language=en_US

The issue I have is finding quality 0.3mm to 0.8mm drill bits with sharp tips. Breaking bits is very common at these tiny sizes, but I find I end up throwing half of them away because they are blunt straight from the box.

I have tried the squires ones, HSS sets, Expo tools, Heller, PCB and others and very few have good tips. Any recommendations? I use them for drilling mainly brass, aluminium (coach roofs etc) and plastic. 

Thanks

Ian

Drill Service (Horley) https://www.drill-service.co.uk/

John Isherwood.