Drivers eye view of the St Ives branch

Kris

Lelant Saltings is in the middle of nowhere but has the Park and Ride facility, to discourage traffic from going into St Ives itself.

I liked the old first gen DMUs because you could have a view forward through the drivers windscreens from the leading passenger saloon.

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, SRman said:

Lelant Saltings is in the middke of nowhere but has the Park and Ride facility, to discourage traffic from going into St Ives itself.

I liked the old first gen DMUs because you could have a view forward through the drivers windscreens from the leading passenger saloon.

Lelant Saltings has been superseded by a new, larger P&R facility at St Erth, few trains call there now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lelant Saltings is no longer served other than by a Parliamentary train as the Park & Ride facility has been moved to a more spacious location at St.Erth.

For the years that Saltings operated there were regular timetabled trains which ran between that station and St. Ives non-stop and some which started and terminated there not serving St. Erth.  

It would have been quite normal to have large numbers waiting at Saltings and St. Ives but nowhere else; unless there was a direct connection with a main-line train (which was far from always the case) the branch service often left St. Erth lightly loaded but picked up significant numbers at Saltings.  Lelant (Village) was not served by most trains and Carbis Bay has long been rather quiet despite being a popular location in itself.  Those who frequent the beach there are more often locals than visitors and walk to and from their destination.  

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I know all about global warming and sea levels rising - but the thread title suggests that this is happening faster than I thought!

John Isherwood.

Shows who was looking :P

• RMweb Premium

From info on other similar films from this individual, I suspect this was filmed in 2018. They appear to have been making route learning films around this time. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Kris said:

From info on other similar films from this individual, I suspect this was filmed in 2018. They appear to have been making route learning films around this time. 

Would be about right as you can see the work on the new P&R and preparatory works for the platform realignment at St Erth.

GWR do their own route videos for training in HD.

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Mike_Walker said:

GWR do their own route videos for training in HD.

From comments made in other videos I suspect he may have been making them for GWR. I wonder if they can now be released due to the changes on the lines (not sure about the Looe to Liskeard bit however).