Amanda's 7mm Stuff - A 1366T takes shape - and runs!

Guest WM183

Hi Amanda,

The 1366 pannier tank is available from several manufacturers.

Ragstone models market the 1366 previously sold by Agenoria http://www.ragstonemodels.co.uk/agenoria.html

There was a thread about building this kit on here a little while ago but, IIRC, the builder had a few problems with it https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/search/&q=agenoria 1366&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=89

CRT models do/did a 1366 kit and sells them RTR https://www.crtkits.co.uk/index.php/2/71351/

As regards the long RCH buffers would Slater's B.R. ones from the 12T van do?

Hope this helps.

Ray.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, WM183 said:

Hi John,

I think you could modify the stern and hold a bit and make a convincing packet freighter of that. I might have a go at one like that! Lots of boats for lots of bustle =)

It did cross my mind to have a go using plastic card instead of paper.  No hurry.

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sounds like a dilemma Amanda.  I would NOT advise selling but wait and see.  As far as I know, Eileen's is the only shop that is not exporting and I have the impression it is a temporary condition.

Having bought two lots of coaches from Hatton's recently (2 Gresley and 2 Mk1) shipping costs have been high due to having to use DHL.  I also have had to pay GST here which is not cheap (the Post Office usually doesn't bother).  However, these purchases are not everyday occurrences so I suck it up.

John

Amanda

I think this was one of those unintended consequences of Brexit but I won't get into the politics! We have similar issues the other way as we used to import cat litter from France as it was much much cheaper but the supplier simply won't ship to the UK now. I am hoping this is just temporary.  What I think is more frustrating is COVID inflation where costs are simply rising so businesses can recoup the costs of being shut. 

However back to your problem - I know a number of modellers from outside the UK tend to save up and then come over for one of the major Gauge O Guild events when they can get all the stuff they need under one roof. You may be aware of them in which case I apologise but they usually have a spring show and an Autumn one and there are others put on by other organisations. I recall when I and a group of friends used to model the Netherlands Railways we used to pop across to Holland a couple of times a year when one of the major swapmeet events was on and pick up the stuff we needed. Took it all back in a rucksack! The overriding theme though was how much more expensive the rolling stock was but that may have changed as the prices for some of the UK mainstream suppliers seem eyewatering.

Paul R

1 hour ago, steam69 said:

Amanda

I've just looked on https://www.hamodels.net and it looks like they ship overseas and stock huge range of kits and all the bits you need to finish them.

No connection except as a customer in the past.

Richard

Not come across this outfit before but what a range of stuff. Thanks for the link

Paul R

9 hours ago, WM183 said:

I still need to order jigs for making points from the 7mm society, etc etc too... feels a bit overwhelming. 

Blerg.

I would say that you can get away with making turnouts without elaborate jigs.  I nail a couple of pieces of copper clad, at the appropriate angle, to some scrap ply for vees for example.  Blades are made by carving the rail.  I start with a Dremel grinding wheel to remove most of the material, following up with coarse and then fine files.

Best thing is to have a go and see what happens.  I made a fair few duff turnouts when I started.  The turnouts on my layout all work well so even I got the hang of it eventually.

John

BTW, with 2 locos and 10 wagons, you have the makings of a layout.  I haven't seen you mention a brake so you would need one of those.  Slater's have some very good kits.  I have built their LNER/BR 20T and LMS 20T brakes. 

The nice thing about Slater's brakes are the lost wax brass step brackets which are strong and durable.  Parkside do brakes as well but their brackets are plastic and fragile.  In every case, I made my own brackets from brass.

Edited by brossard

• RMweb Premium

H and A Models was my first thought when I saw you wanted Parkside kits - I have not used mail order with them but have bought from their trade stand as they were regular visitors to the Derby show - but unfortunately we now need to find yet another venue . . . . . 

I don't know what the 7mm Society offers by way of turnout jigs.  I had the EMGS set consisting of a vee jig and blade planing jig.  I also had a common crossing jig.  Useful to have.

You will certainly need roller gauges and flangeway gauge (you can make that yourself).  Watch out that you get the right ones.

John

Edited by brossard

• RMweb Premium

It's actually the Scale 7 Group that produce the jigs etc as shown below (not to be confused with the recently created 7mm Scale Society).

I didn't realise that the S7 (33mm track gauge) also produce jigs etc for 31.5mm which means that ready to run stock can be used

Click Here for Link to Scale 7 Stores

Click Here for new 7mm Scale Society (Forum Only at this stage)