Amanda's 7mm Stuff - A 1366T takes shape - and runs!

Guest WM183

5 hours ago, WM183 said:

Hi Dave,

I do like the 7mm Scale Association. The shops are a tiny bit; the magazine is full of great stuff, every time! 

With regards to actual model making:

The time has come to start a coach. I have an Ian Kirk coach parts pack for a D98, and I have built the sides. To be fair, the kit is very inexpensive, and the sides are more or less dimensionally accurate and built up to a sturdy piece. The fact the insides of the sides are square to the floor when built simplifies body construction a lot! However, no hint of interior is included, and at this scale, the interior is a big focus, particularly as I plan on an easily removable magnetic roof. Seats, etc., will need to be sourced, the rest like luggage shelves, etc., I believe I can scratch up out of brass. 

The biggest weakness is frankly the underframe. The solebars are supplied in small sections, and are generically patterned, but probably ok if reinforced from behind with brass, or better yet, a solid styrene angle. The bogies are terrible, but the bogie sideframes are surprisingly crisp moldings, and may yet be useful! As the wheelbase of the bogie is a mere 7 feet, I am probably not going to do much with compensation, and instead will just try to build something solid and accurate from brass sections. The battery box is also pretty well molded, but every other detail of the underframe is left to the builder to create!

I shall probably try to do my usual, building the bulk of the structural parts with brass, for strength and weight, which I can then attach the body shell to with screws (I will have the floor as part of the body, separate of the frame methinks) and then a magnetic roof, so all parts can be broken down for repairs if needed. We'll see where this all leads. So far, I am skeptical I can get a good coach of this - this being my 1st attempt at one - but maybe we'll manage a silk purse of this sow's ear yet.

Rolling on,

Amanda

By I didn't realize that Ian was producing Swindon stuff. I have built a few of the Gresley teaks and have found them to be good working models at less than half the price of any RTR. It helps if you leave aside the brass skills (although this would be a good way to produce better underframe details), and approach the kit as a plastikard scratch builder might. A good excuse to read David Jenkinson's book.

Whilst friends ditched the bogies in favour of Way Oh, I used the ones supplied ailbiet with heavy Home of O gauge wheels ( now available from Invertrain?). The bogie pivots are M6 roofing bolts spaced with large repair washers. They will never be museum standard but have stood up well in exhibition use.

You probably mentioned what kit you have but I forget.  I suspect it is Kirk since they are pretty vague.  Slater's do a pretty good job of describing the underframe.

You can check out CPL:

https://www.cplproducts.net/instructions--diagrams.html

The diagrams for their bogies should enable you to detail yours.

Here's a couple of pics of the Dapol B set coach U/F:

P1010040.JPG.fb8e34c132e43fbd926b227d3e6a54db.JPG

This the brake compartment end.

P1010041.JPG.e9ef99cd95df9363183444f8c4442427.JPG

Dapol did a pretty good job IMO.  You will be better off with drawings, hopefully someone has those.

Bogies are 7' WB.

These belong to a friend who lodges a lot of his stuff with me.

The real railway rather inconsiderately never set their coaches on their side (deliberately anyway) for modellers to photograph.

John

• Like 1

I think you will get a good result by soldering up trussing from brass.  I discarded most of the underframe parts for my Kirk BG kit and did like you.

I can't answer your question, I don't know much about GWR coaches.  I did Google but pretty much all the hits were for the Hornby coach.  If all else fails I tend to trust the RTR manufacturers, particularly if the model is a recent design.

John

32 minutes ago, WM183 said:

Does anyone know if the D98 had two trusses, as on the Hornby model, or 4 trusses like the B set above?

You have asked a question which has puzzled GWR modellers for some time...  I recollect that the question was raised about five years back when the coach was one of the JLTRT Collett bow end stock.  I recollect that for Collett coaches the conclusion was two except for brake coaches which had  four.

regards, Graham

On the subject of detailing bogies such as are supplied in Kirk kits.  Here are some Gresley bogies that I did to give you an idea:

432062267_P1010001(4).JPG.d0c289c1ff74e5d01887bb5a3f4e1d78.JPG

You can see I added brake rodding and safety loops.  Also homemade yokes. 

Also, here's a pic of my Gresley BG underframe:

1646040705_P1010002(5).JPG.085a8dc840097586eed95451552740d9.JPG

Trussing is scratch made.  I was fortunate to be able to get some high quality underframe WM and LWB fittings from JLTRT (MM1 models now have the range).  Note the aux. manual brake mechanism.

HTH

John

24 minutes ago, WM183 said:

and will make the vac cylinders myself. Just leaves vees, and I am sure I can make those up.

Try "CPL Products" for etches to support vac cylinders and break shaft vees.

That is lovely work Amanda.

I like what you have done with the magnets to secure the roof. I have always found getting a good fitting loose roof a bit of a challenge so much so the with the last Ian Kirk coach I made I glued the roof to the body sides and ends and had the whole thing lift off the undeframe.

Cheers

David

Edited by David Bell

Some interesting innovations here.  I like the roof held on with magnets.  However, as you say, roofs rarely fit perfectly so a compromise.

Great to see that you have detailed the interior, I didn't on  mine, but then you really can't see inside.

If you are considering putting passengers in your coach, I can recommend Omen Miniatures:

https://www.omen-miniatures.com/shop?cat=20

These are very well rendered resin figures.  Less expensive than ModelU.  Do NOT get the Slaters figures, these are extremely poor.

John

Quite right Amanda.  I went overboard with my Gresley BG and now the RTR coaches I bought look anemic.  I think I may need to add more detail to these, particularly the bogies which look pretty bare.

John

14 hours ago, WM183 said:

Thanks John! I do plan to add passengers and a brakeman, so I will check out Omen miniatures. I also need to get 3 or 4 dozen handrail knobs for attaching all the grab irons and door handles! As this will be the only coach, I want to be sure it's a good 'un!

Carriages don't use handrail knobs Amanda.  Have a look on CPL (I'm sure there are also other suppliers) for grab irons etc.  Apologies in advance if I've misunderstood your post.

Ray.

superb workmanship Amanda

23 hours ago, WM183 said:

I have detailed the brake compartment somewhat. I will add the steam and vacuum gauges as well, and the fire extenguisher, as well as a bicycle and a couple parcels and packages. Just finished making the brake standard and I think it looks the part!

6ain4VV.jpg

Superb workmanship Amanda

Paul R

If you haven't come across it (or another) already, there is a brake end view of a D98 at https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrwe1366.htm.  I'm working on the same thing but not as far advanced so will follow your excellent efforts with interest!

Kit PW

A 1920s 7mm terminus layout: Swan Hill - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/blog/2502-swan-hill

CPL seems to have a decent selection of commode handles although not specifically for the D98.  Also Tee handles for the doors.

The fidelity of newly tooled RTR coaches is amazing.  I bet this has an offputting effect for people who fancy doing a kit.  I abandoned my Comet LMS NC coaches when Hornby came out with theirs.  No contest.  RTR coaches, in both scales, do lack detail under the solebars so some scope there for the purists.

John