Z21 Issue

Flunter

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Flunter said:

Don't suppose you could point me to a supplier... I did say I was new to all this :blush: :)

Coastal dcc are my favoured supplier now because Kevin seems to restock faster and his service is excellent although I’ve had good service from Digitrains too

https://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/products/zimo/decoders/

• Like 1

Both Digitrains and Coastal DCC are very good, if you order before lunchtime you'll have the chip / speaker etc the following day.

Also use Modelbahnshop Lippe as they only change 3 euro's postage on orders over 100 euro's, so for a few sound chips this works out cheaper.

Stay safe,

Neil

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Flunter said:

Me too.

It came (several actually) with the Hornby set track I bought to test the Z21 while I'm waiting for track to be delivered, it seemed natural to me to make use of it. That tiny item has cost me the difference between my second-hand Z21 and a new one. That said, I'd still have used the connector with a new Z21, not knowing any different.

You need to remember that Hornby’s heritage is DC trains and many of the designs hail from that long successful era. Some have been updated but many remain the same as when daddy buys little Johnny a first train set it is a DC layout and I would hazard to guess that in the UK most model railways are DC.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 17/09/2020 at 17:35, BokStein said:

It contains a capacitor which KILLS the DCC signal.

BTW, I hope your voltage measurements are on your meter's AC scale?

does that include the  Hornby  track power clip R8206 as well?  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, David62 said:

Hornby  track power clip R8206

I think Hattons describe it correctly:

"Hornby R8206 Power track for analogue (non DCC) use only"

- it ain't designed to be used with DCC...

And here is a fuller explanation:

https://www.islandrailways.co.uk/Hornby-r8206-r8241-power-straight/

Mike

Edited by KingEdwardII
More info
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, David62 said:

does that include the  Hornby  track power clip R8206 as well?  

The R8206 power track does include the capacitor. The DCC version is R8241 and doesn't have the capacitor.

Likewise the R602 power connecting clip does have the capacitor, but the DCC version R8242 doesn't.

You can use the DCC versions with DC but you or your neighbours may notice problems with TV and/or radio reception because they lack the suppression capacitor.

I don't know enough about Bachmann or Peco Settrack to say whether they power tracks or connecting clips incliude capacitors.but I'd work on the assumption all track power connectors and power tracks include the TV/Radio supression capacitor unless they are specifically sold for DCC or the product description clearly says that they do not incldue TV/Radio interference suppression capacitors. That way you can't go wrong.

• Like 2

cheers mate!  i opened the track clip  and the clip as you say it has the capacitor it can be seen under the housing a yellow capacitor block  just like the power track section..  so i decided to solder both  wire's to the track removing a couple of sleepers and drilled a hole through the baseboard to drop the wire through  same with the  program track as well.   eliminating both power accessories.    

Cheers Mate!:)

• Like 2