Split Headcode Class 40 liveries in 1968

Fredo

Does anyone know of a website that would be able to provide details of the above, we are trying to establish in 1968 which ones were in BR Green with a small yellow warning panel and which ones were Green with a full yellow end.

Thanks Fred

• RMweb Premium

Not really what you're after but there may be something worthwhile in Brush Veteran's Flickr set:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/albums/72157627818981963

This thread has a list of when the 40s went into blue, which would help pin down which were still green in '68:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/127161-blue-class-40s-in-the-late-60s/&do=findComment&comment=2917648

There were no split-box EE Type 4s in blue during 1968, to save you that trouble!  

There may have been the odd one in GFYE by the end of the year, but I've yet to see one, so please prove my research incomplete!

• Like 1

Flickr is your friend here, since the split box group is small try doing an image search using Dxxx in the image search box. It's usually my first option for modelling certain loco's, however be aware of the dreaded "going of at a tangent" this can lead to hours of distraction!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I haven't got exact dates but the known locos with full yellow ends for at least part of 1968 were D326/330/333/340/342/344. There may have been several others too. The earliest in blue of this batch was D332 in Sept 1969, but then another 18 months before the next one went blue.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, w124bob said:

Flickr is your friend here, since the split box group is small try doing an image search using Dxxx in the image search box. It's usually my first option for modelling certain loco's, however be aware of the dreaded "going of at a tangent" this can lead to hours of distraction!

Hi Bob

I have heard clicking the safe search on helps prevent curious minds from exploring. :good:

• Funny 1

On 24/09/2020 at 08:23, stovepipe said:

I haven't got exact dates but the known locos with full yellow ends for at least part of 1968 were D326/330/333/340/342/344. There may have been several others too. The earliest in blue of this batch was D332 in Sept 1969, but then another 18 months before the next one went blue.

Thanks for this - as luck would have it a set of my random notes surfaced earlier today with the following dates from photos:

D326 GFYE by 9/9/68

D330 GFYE by 30/8/68

D333 GFYE by 1/6/69

• Informative/Useful 1