Information about Coaling Stage Lighting wanted

Cornholio

I was wondering if anybody could tell me if a coal stage would typically have internal lights, as I'm currently modelling one.

Perhaps I'm over thinking things, but I was wondering if gas lighting in particular was avoided due to the risk of fire from coal dust etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

• RMweb Premium

Derby, 25 November 1909:

1124716595_DY2115338Enginetakingcoal.jpg.e2437ee57f9724403a2a0ac4c677911b.jpg

NRM DY 2115, released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) licence by the National Railway Museum.

I think I see a row of three lamps inside - there might be a fourth hidden from view - then lamps on brackets at the coaling positions. There would, I suppose, be a gas supply for lighting the offices and shed, so naturally that's what's also used for the coal stage too. I would be surprised if very many sheds went over to electric light before the end of steam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It probably depends on what type of coaling stage, location and era.

The large concrete ones would be electric, but maybe not an old wooden one in the middle of nowhere. Installation and electricity supply would be the big hurdle.

Didcot is definitely electric and I would think that would be typical of that type of GWR coaling stage at a medium shed.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65644-gwr-coaling-stage/

Jason

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

The current Didcot engine shed dates from c1941 IIRC. Would it have gas then?

As probable as electricity, I'd have thought. But the great majority of sheds were very much older and saw little updating* until the Luftwaffe initiated a programme of roof replacement.

*Except for the large coaling towers installed at major sheds by the LMS and LNER.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1