Moving House - the big break up

• RMweb Gold

Morning!

We are moving house and I have had to break up my model railway. Just thought I'd share one thing that I've done to recycle my track, points etc. Apologies if you already know this but if you ballast your track using the diluted pva/fairy liquid approach, soak the track and leave for 20mins or so before lifting it. I use setrack so the ballast softens and you can just run a chisel under it to lift it. 

Heres the fun bit though. The track will have all bits of ballast stuck to it.....take outside and hose it down with as powerful hose setting as you have (not a jetwash). The ballast flies off, dry on an old towel and leave to air dry overnight. Once dry, pack, ready to use again!

Cheers

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A bit late for this one, but if you take the time to build your layout in sections like an exhibition layout, you can break it into sections for easy assembly next time.

A bigger benefit is that you can also lift 1 section at a time to work on the wiring underneath.

Al you need to do is ensure you have a room big enough for it when you move :blink:

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Trust me you don't. 

This is the 'Kitchen' and it'll take 12 months+ and £200,000+ to knock it all into shape.

DSC_0015.JPG.cd505c215488bac7ad1a92de5e56ced9.JPG

Just needs a bit of plastic sheet across the opening and I'm sure Mrs Bacon can make do until the railway is up and running...?

Got to get your priorities right! :smile_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Trust me you don't. 

This is the 'Kitchen' and it'll take 12 months+ and £200,000+ to knock it all into shape.

I guess that you're OK with the odd challenge or two.

That looks to me as if it's a tremendous opportunity to get what you want rather than just settle for what's on offer. I'm still envious. :)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

Just needs a bit of plastic sheet across the opening

Funny you should say that.....it has! But that's to keep the 50-60 f*&^%$g homing pigeons out.  Seems a previous owner kept homing pigeons and my address is in their DNA. His brother also had them and another house in the village has the same issue.

1 hour ago, uax6 said:

I thought that it looked very upmarket...

I'll soon drag it down....

1 hour ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I guess that you're OK with the odd challenge or two.

Thanks Mick, I am, I do this for a living so I just break it down into smaller tasks, having your own digger etc makes this sort of work a lot easier along with a really good architect you can work with. It loks a bit ragged but it's a substantially solid building underneath, with a lot of insulation and high spec windows it should be economical to heat and run.

DSC_0022.JPG.0908774a1ac4983853a473a834db0408.JPGDSC_0037.JPG.90aea702411079f7115ce480a6cb81e3.JPG

The railway got priority......:D

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

5 hours ago, holywell junction said:

We are moving house and I have had to break up my model railway. Just thought I'd share one thing that I've done to recycle my track, points etc.

See what you've done? One single mention of anything and the whole of the rest of the world takes over your thread!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1