GBRf Class 66, 66718 - 66732. Are they low emission loco's?

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

According to Platform 5's loco books, GBRf's 66718 - 66732 are standard Class 66's, but on closer look, they've got the 5th door which I believe was only fitted to the low emission loco's.  I can't see if it's got the smaller fuel tank or not.  I can't believe that GBRf would retro fit a 5th door, so I can only assume that they were fitted from new?  Can anyone confirm that these are low emission loco's.

DSC_0006.JPG

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Trainshed Terry said:

I do believe that the fith door was fitted to the locos you mention as there is no access from the drivers cab at that end. IIRC!.

I thought the 5th door was to access equipment to do with the emissions and only the low emissions loco’s had these as well as a smaller fuel tank.  I’m still non the wiser about them being low emission or not.

• RMweb Gold

They are all 5 door versions, smaller fuel tanks on them, low emission type

Iirc they were delivered when GBRF was part of first group so we’re either metronet or Barbie livery when they first arrived (at the time I was working  for fastline) and I drove most of them back then on hire, it’s not until the 6674X numbering series that things started to get mixed up as to which have 5 doors, smaller tanks, low emission as it was around then that GBRF started to get used European spec locos in and continued the numbering sequence, of course since then there are the ex schenker locos too, and only last month 66793 upwards have been delivered for rebuilding from abroad, to add confusion to those, 2 of them are lower geared 60mph machines! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, big jim said:

They are all 5 door versions, smaller fuel tanks on them, low emission type

Iirc they were delivered when GBRF was part of first group so we’re either metronet or Barbie livery when they first arrived (at the time I was working  for fastline) and I drove most of them back then on hire, it’s not until the 6674X numbering series that things started to get mixed up as to which have 5 doors, smaller tanks, low emission as it was around then that GBRF started to get used European spec locos in and continued the numbering sequence, of course since then there are the ex schenker locos too, and only last month 66793 upwards have been delivered for rebuilding from abroad, to add confusion to those, 2 of them are lower geared 60mph machines! 

Thanks Jim, I think you’ve cleared that up as well, as well as clearing up who has what and when.  I think GBRf’s Class 66’s are a bit of minefield when trying to model a particular loco.

• RMweb Gold

You still can access the engine room from number two end it just there is restrictive head room down one side 

66s are pretty loathsome machines although I drive them sometimes I hate them 

9 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I thought the 5th door was to access equipment to do with the emissions and only the low emissions loco’s had these as well as a smaller fuel tank.  I’m still non the wiser about them being low emission or not.

Its just because the normal door is so tiny in comparison, the cooler group is bigger.

i struggled once to squeeze through the standard door so gave up, since then i use the side door. Much easier lol

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You obviously prep them more thoroughly than I do then, never been down that side of the engine room on any 66! 

another thing with the euro spec 66s is as the cooler group is slightly bigger the gangway into the small cab is narrower by about 4 inches and the cab door opens outward, now I’m a big guy but I know of a driver who when being passed out on 66s had to be failed as he couldn’t get into the cab itself From the gangway! 

• Funny 1