Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Annie

The Telegraph speaks largely to/for those who broadly support the present party of government, and is often used to fly kites, either by those in the same party as HMG in an attempt to influence HMG, or by HMG itself, to test the response of  the readership to policy options, or by HMG to give advance-flagging of intent to the population at large. So, its not anything like clear when it relates that something is going to happen whether what is meant is that the thing shall, will, might, could or, should happen.

In normal times, when the cafe at the supermarket is open, I sometimes treat myself to a coffee and a browse of several 'papers (two in particular make me so cross its best not to) and trying to decode The Telegraph can be quite interesting.

My gut response to the 24/7 shopping thing is that it is propobably something being punted by the shop-owners, attempting to nudge HMG in a particular direction, because they are in such dire straits due to lockdowns.

K

Just as well that I have a subscription to the Guardian as well, - or is that newspaper also fraught with peril ?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well ..... the Gaurdian is very good at overtly separating reportage from opinion. And, it still manages to do some proper investigative stuff.

But, you need to be aware that it is left/liberal leaning, so what it selects to report upon will reflect that, and the opinion pieces very much so.

I used to be a daily reader of it years ago, but then it got a bit too ‘lifestyle’, and the opinions a bit to separated from everyday realities for my tastes, so now I stick mainly to the news content.

As Edwardian implies, the going-downhill IMO coincided with it starting to spell correctly.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I was starting to spend too much on subscriptions when I need to save up for some Broad Gauge wagon commissions so I've given the Telegraph the push.  I've never bothered with lifestyle stuff in newspapers since it's mostly all tales from another planet as far as I'm concerned and it's news that I want to know about anyway.  As a recovering lefty the Guardian would most probably suit me well enough and I've never been one to pay much attention to opinion columns since we have various opinion writers here in New Zealand that could do with being put in a rubber room wearing one of those coats with the arms that tie up at the back.

Edited by Annie
fumble brain
  • Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Annie said:

As a recovering lefty the Guardian would most probably suit me well enough 

Beware though that it has quite a bit of Australian content - there's an Australian edition that leaks into the online version, at least here in the UK. Something to do with carrying war into the enemy's camp, I suppose.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Beware though that it has quite a bit of Australian content - there's an Australian edition that leaks into the online version, at least here in the UK. Something to do with carrying war into the enemy's camp, I suppose.

That should be alright Stephen as I'm bilingual and I can read Australian.  

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I used to be a daily reader of it years ago, but then it got a bit too ‘lifestyle’, and the opinions a bit to separated from everyday realities for my tastes, so now I stick mainly to the news content.

Ah, so it wasn't just me who thought that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Regularity said:

Ah, so it wasn't just me who thought that.

It's never borne much relationship to my lifestyle. But I amuse myself finding out how the other half live by reading The Times - which I only see at my sister-in-law's.

• Funny 2

15 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

It's never borne much relationship to my lifestyle. But I amuse myself finding out how the other half live by reading The Times - which I only see at my sister-in-law's.

I don't know what a 'lifestyle' is.  I'm pretty sure I don't have one, though.

7 minutes ago, teaky said:

Well, no alcohol after 6pm in Wales.  What was it our thread host said several weeks ago?

Oh my prophetic soul!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3
  • Funny 3

8 hours ago, Annie said:

I supposed New Zealand's locked borders and high vigilance approach has strongly coloured my thinking about COVID-19.  As to how to deal with the present English situation where the borders were porous for far too long and still seem to be so that the plague got in and ran riot  I wouldn't know.

All that overseas dabbling in half arsed responses  seems bemusing here too in a country that 2 weeks ago locked down the city of Adelaide completely - everything shutdown and you couldn't leave home to even walk the dog -  in response to an outbreak of nine  cases, and there were no complaints from anyone. 

The compliance and eagerness here to get this thing beaten and get everything back to a normal life where we get killed by the usual things like the wildlife instead is very high.

Although face masks were never compulsory in NSW I still see about 1 in 10 people wearing them despite us having had no mystery community transmission since October.

Perhaps they are in fact bank robbers.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3

Well, it looks as if shops really can open 24/7 in the lead-up the Christmas.

I look forward to popping out at 0300hrs to buy a bottle of Baileys, a tin of quality street, a pair of fleece-lined pyjamas with an LED-illuminated Rudolf on the front, and other things without which my life would seem meaningless.

• Like 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Well, it looks as if shops really can open 24/7 in the lead-up the Christmas.

But will they? Overall takings will no doubt be down compared to last year, so why risk the extra expense of longer hours (chiefly additional staff)? And as you say, who's going shopping at 3am?

I'm sure I'm not alone in finding the whole business of physical Christmas shopping thing deeply unpleasant and have for several years been doing it all online.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

33 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

But will they? Overall takings will no doubt be down compared to last year, so why risk the extra expense of longer hours (chiefly additional staff)? And as you say, who's going shopping at 3am?

I'm sure I'm not alone in finding the whole business of physical Christmas shopping thing deeply unpleasant and have for several years been doing it all online.

I would far rather internet shop for certain things but searching for small, awful, stocking fillers for small children is much easier in a real shop as is the desperate searching  / panic buying careful, tender choosing of gift for my wife!

I'd expect overall retail spend won't vary much as people have a certain amount to spend and will do spend it come what may though I accept the overall internet share of shoppers' wallet will be higher.  There's an element that the virus is merely accelerating trends that were already happening in a switch away from cash and high street shopping to delivery.  Worth noting that some retailers did not have an online offering, notably Primark.  How they fare and survive will be interesting.

However, I can see that longer opening hours might spread the load on shops a little and help with social distancing.  Whilst not a supporter of the Government, I do think they are between the proverbial a rock and a hard place here.  Leave opening hours more restricted and run the risk that if the R rate increases, people saying "why oh why didn't you let the shops stay open longer and reduce crowding?."  Now that particular genie is out of the bottle, they have to go with it and it fits with their general "let the market decide philosophy."

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Overall takings will no doubt be down compared to last year

But not as down as those who don't.

who's going shopping at 3am?

Those who are self isolating for their own health will find the option of shopping in a near (or nearer) empty store refreshing - and of course home delivery slots will be at a premium.  Actually 5am - 6am is probably a better time as the overnight deliveries arrive on the shelves but others will no doubt find that too and the shops will be more crowded.

I could not agree more and that is one reason why this might be more appealing.  

• Friendly/supportive 1