Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

Not much to do with railways comes to the attention of The Parish Council these days, but I thought members might like this, which was highlighted on the IRS discussion group. seems to be inspection of camp construction on Salisbury plain c1919, rather than during WW1.

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/groupsioattachments/8681/78785554/62672/0?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJECNKOVMCCU3ATNQ&Expires=1607438665&Signature=sihoRkRctKwYRj5rpDA4rmgOqLM%3D&response-content-disposition=inline%3B+filename%3D"Queen+Mary.JPG"

• Like 1

"0-4-0ST P 596 1894. Previously with " M.M Woolston"* in Hampshire and subsequently with Sir John Jackson on an unknown contract c1919 and thereafter to Topham Jones and Railton."

The photo was taken on the "unknown contract", I'd guess at the final inspection before a good lunch in the pub.

There is an elimination game underway to work out what/where exactly the contract was. Jackson built the Bulford and Larkhill Camps and the Larkhill Military Railway, but that was done by c1917. I wonder if this was something to do with the aerodrome at Stonehenge, which was built fairly late in the war, and after, then shut-down in the 1920s. There was definitely an extension of the Larkhill line to serve it. But, that is only a first guess.

As you say, the "coach" would make a great project, and it would go nicely with a modern-Hornby Peckett in 00, or a modern-BL Peckett in coarse-0 ........ if I hadn't swapped the two I had for a mogul I would go for it.

*Which I suspect is a mis-transcription of MoM (Ministry of Munitions) at Woolston, near Southampton.

** I'm right, it was with MoM at Woolston, where there was a huge factory that is  shown on maps as "Electric Control Gear Factory", but was actually a rolling mill. But, the interesting thing is that it seems to have been conscripted to there, without a name, from the Salvation Army Industrial & Land Colony at Hadleigh in Essex, where it almost certainly operated on a line between a brick-works and a wharf.

http://www.beyondthepoint.co.uk/property/salvation-army-developments/

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

As you say, the "coach" would make a great project,

It's a Midland D305 dropside wagon, of the type built to Drg. 213 in the 1880s, sold out of service to the War Department. The WD seems to have purchased a bit of old Midland wagon stock - as did various Col. Stephens lines - most of which had reached 30 years in service by the immediate pre-Great War years. The National Shell Filling Factory at Chilwell had a number of high-sided opens, D299, as internal user wagons. Black ironwork seems to have been the usual finish, so they were evidently given a bit of a makeover and not just pressed into service as sold by the Midland.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

The Ministry of Munitions site at Woolston was known as The Rolling Mills, which was the intended function, but soon became a munitions factory.  The rail system was self contained with no connection to the LSWR, but served a jetty on the Itchen that was used to bring in raw materials and coal from ships.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

Thanks, I was coming to the conclusion from maps and aerial photos that the railway didn't connect to the outside world.

Do you know what sort of munitions? Its a long-thin site, so rolling things out would be logical, and I wondered if it was actually a cable factory.

EDIT: I've found it - it rolled cupro-nickel strip for the manufacture of cartridges.

It was OOU by the 1920s, being described as a "shell of a building", part of it was used as a civil aircraft factory, but then it was used during WW2 as a storage site by Supermarine, who along with Thorneycroft Vosper were very nearby.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

37 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

It was OOU by the 1920s, being described as a "shell of a building", part of it was used as a civil aircraft factory, but then it was used during WW2 as a storage site by Supermarine, who along with Thorneycroft Vosper were very nearby.

It was just Thornycroft in those days, locally you will usually get pulled up for referring to 'Vosper Thornycroft' in any context prior to the 1966 merger.  The yard closure and transfer of operations to Portsmouth is still a sore point.  Their Woolston shipyard also had an internal rail system, but no locos; horses, and later, steam cranes were the mode of propulsion. Again, no connection with the LSWR despite it being close by.

In WW2 the Rolling Mills were a RN stores depot, but Supermarine used part of it.

• Informative/Useful 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Annie said:

I think the members of the parish council are reluctant to comment on your post Stephen in case they jinx the coming New Year.

Mars is bright tonight...

As are Jupiter and Saturn; we've a break in the cloud and rain so the Great Conjunction is clearly visible - closest since 1623. What was 1624 like?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

According to Wikipedia, in the listing of notable events of 1624:

The city of Oslo, Norway, is destroyed by fire for the fourteenth time. King Christian IV of Denmark–Norway decrees that he is sick and tired it, and that people really must learn to be more careful in future.

(I may have edited that slightly for clarity)

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

This time last year we were discussing H.G. Wells' visions of the population of London storming the railway stations desperate to escape from the capital. Little did we imagine that a year later such things would come to pass. 

War of the Worlds, was the first thing that I thought of after hearing the news on LBC yesterday evening.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Annie said:

I think the members of the parish council are reluctant to comment on your post Stephen in case they jinx the coming New Year.

This time last year half the country was ablaze. We were all either huddled inside with air cons on full to keep out the smoke or tearing off to evacuation centres with what lifelong possessions would fit into a car with the kids and pets. After one of the harshest droughts in history the whole place was dry as and ready to go up and no significant rain was forecast until June.

We all were so looking forward to 2020 because things could only get better...

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Friendly/supportive 7

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

We all were so looking forward to 2020 because things could only get better...

So you're to blame. In Melbourne we had smoke haze from bushfires and I started sneezing and coughing and wearing a mask long before they became compulsory, which went on until early March when the plague struck whereupon I forced myself to stop lest I had to carry a big bell and call out "unclean!!! unclean!!!".  

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

According to Wikipedia, in the listing of notable events of 1624:

The city of Oslo, Norway, is destroyed by fire for the fourteenth time. King Christian IV of Denmark–Norway decrees that he is sick and tired it, and that people really must learn to be more careful in future.

(I may have edited that slightly for clarity)

He did the usual political thing with an ongoing embarrassment - he renamed it. So when Christiana burnt down, it was only the first time.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

20 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Mars is bright tonight...

As are Jupiter and Saturn; we've a break in the cloud and rain so the Great Conjunction is clearly visible - closest since 1623. What was 1624 like?

We had a message from our Danish family on this very subject only this morning.

Saturn and Jupiter meet. They call it the real Julestjerne. It was suggested that we look up at the sky at 17:00 DK time, (16:00 GMT).

Mmmmm fat chance.....it has been pi....slas....raining and extremely windy here in Subtropical Sussex since 03:00 and there is no sign of a let up by 16:00 AGMT. 

glædelig jul.....bah humbug.:nea:

Edited by Grizz
Auto correct...
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Grizz said:

Saturn and Jupiter meet. They call it the real Julestjerne. It was suggested that we look up at the sky at 17:00 DK time, (16:00 GMT).

Mmmmm fat chance.....it has been pi....slas....raining and extremely windy here in Subtropical Sussex since 03:00 and there is no sign of a let up by 16:00 AGMT. 

They were really clear last night where we are, over the border into Kent - I guess they'll be even closer this evening, but like you not much chance of seeing anything.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2