Blackford to Gleneagles

Clagmeister

1 hour ago, Clagmeister said:

Sounds like a job for Warcop loco works

Hi Mike,

Thus far this is the type of thing I have built in N Gauge:

DSCF0971.JPG.2159919a629a22a6794309ee47ddf0e4.JPG

The APT-E and the E 3173 might be a bit useless without wires with only the Plasser Theurer 07 tamper being of any use currently.

Gibbo.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Mike,

Thus far this is the type of thing I have built in N Gauge:

DSCF0971.JPG.2159919a629a22a6794309ee47ddf0e4.JPG

The APT-E and the E 3173 might be a bit useless without wires with only the Plasser Theurer 07 tamper being of any use currently.

Gibbo.

APT-E will be OK!

• Agree 1

For the basic base of Bog Wood which occupies both sides of the line between Muiralehouse, Bardrill Rd and Peterhead I have used a longer burnt grass.  Having looked at a few bogs with conifers growing on them this appears to be the ground colour.  Both sides of the line are very wet at this location.  It contrasts to the fields in the middle section and the cutting close to Gleneagles.  All of railway interest here is Blackfords UP distant and a small p way hut.

A V2 still carrying black and early emblem works North

20210311_113923.jpg.2526f84e1a5b5a1dff15ebe6fd6b1244.jpg

Edited by Clagmeister
  • Like 3

Whilst waiting for ballast to dry have been thinking about the double pole telegraph and power lines that are common in this section. Shaped, painted and weathered cocktail sticks.  Not sure about the cross members other than snipping the ready made kits out there apart.

They might be slightly too thick possibly.  Any thoughts?

20210311_142117.jpg.e41668462ab1ce64b52bc0e09501955b.jpg

Here is the real thing in a picture kindly shared by David Bell.

20210311_124700.jpg.23ccf4796c46fe673885f64dcc94f339.jpg

• Like 2

Unless you have pictures showing the situation you’ve modelled with that pole, I’d suggest the spars are the wrong way round. The sloping spar is a ‘push brace’, so called because it leans against the vertical spar to stop the vertical moving the way gravity wants it to go. 

If you look at the prototype photo, the push braces (especially the nearer one) are stopping the poles going down the embankment.

Edited by pH
Add missing word

36 minutes ago, pH said:

Unless you have pictures showing the situation you’ve modelled with that pole, I’d suggest the spars are the wrong way round. The sloping spar is a ‘push brace’, so called because it leans against the vertical spar to stop the vertical moving the way gravity wants it to go. 

If you look at the prototype photo, the push braces (especially the nearer one) are stopping the poles going down the embankment.

Excellent thanks for that.  Will be using this pic as my base, but they appear to be braced the other way.  Hmmmm? Thoughts

20210311_180702.jpg.6bc2c03a73cd2d58fff6f4f687f21365.jpg

Edited by Clagmeister
mistakes
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Clagmeister said:

Excellent thanks for that.  Will be using this pic as my base, but they appear to be braced the other way.  Hmmmm? Thoughts

20210311_180702.jpg.6bc2c03a73cd2d58fff6f4f687f21365.jpg

OK - what you’ve modelled is correct for the prototype! I have to say I’m surprised, especially since the nearest poles on the left side of the cutting appear to have the push brace on the downslope side.

10 minutes ago, pH said:

OK - what you’ve modelled is correct for the prototype! I have to say I’m surprised, especially since the nearest poles on the left side of the cutting appear to have the push brace on the downslope side.

I hadn't looked til you said and then was surprised that they seem to defy engineering and soil creep logic as you described.

15 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

One advantage of modelling the fifties and sixties is I was there and dont have to keep looking in books ! 

You are very lucky indeed!  One of the reasons i chose this location is that it hasn't changed as much as other places on the railway.

• Like 2

The ballast is taking an eternity to dry and harden. Perhaps i went wrong somewhere.

With the utility and telegraph poles made and awaiting kit parts to finish i have been putting the fence posts up.

They are 3D printed from Commodore Studio on ebay.  I haven't bothered with the wire kindly supplied  i just don't think N needs it.

The field that is split in half on the nearside of the curve has now been treated.  Its more or less in the correct position i think.

Anyway City of Liverpool heads the 0930 Crewe-Perth on its final leg.

20210313_110942.jpg.826ebd80463f962f5be040aa4802fad9.jpg

• Like 5

I really like this idea and how you are developing it. When I started Balbeggie Sidings the original concept was just a long stretch of mainline, although there was to be a level crossing as a focal point. This was a throwback to many hours spend at places like Longforgan, with the pleasure of hearing the signal box bell codes, semiphores being pulled and gates opening and closing. As I built it though I added the extra sidings and yard in order to give "operational interest." The really  interesting thing was that when I operated the layout I either ran the mainline (including the loops) or I shunted the little yard. I found, that for me, it was one thing or the other and I didn't need the extra bits to add operational interest when I was running the mainline.

What you have done here is quite brave, in that you have dispensed with all of the other things that generally modellers want to add in such as stations, yards and sheds and are letting the railway tell its story. I really like this idea. For the most part, outside of towns and cities, we see the railway in this type of setting far more than we probably realise. There are miles and miles of open line that are rarely modelled because modellers think of the bits between stations as a bit boring.

I, for one, would like to sit back at your bit of mainline and simply watch the trains go past. I am looking forward to this layout developing further. 

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sulzer27jd said:

I really like this idea and how you are developing it. When I started Balbeggie Sidings the original concept was just a long stretch of mainline, although there was to be a level crossing as a focal point. This was a throwback to many hours spend at places like Longforgan, with the pleasure of hearing the signal box bell codes, semiphores being pulled and gates opening and closing. As I built it though I added the extra sidings and yard in order to give "operational interest." The really  interesting thing was that when I operated the layout I either ran the mainline (including the loops) or I shunted the little yard. I found, that for me, it was one thing or the other and I didn't need the extra bits to add operational interest when I was running the mainline.

What you have done here is quite brave, in that you have dispensed with all of the other things that generally modellers want to add in such as stations, yards and sheds and are letting the railway tell its story. I really like this idea. For the most part, outside of towns and cities, we see the railway in this type of setting far more than we probably realise. There are miles and miles of open line that are rarely modelled because modellers think of the bits between stations as a bit boring.

I, for one, would like to sit back at your bit of mainline and simply watch the trains go past. I am looking forward to this layout developing further. 

John

Thanks very much I really appreciate that.  That is exactly what i am trying to achieve.  To have roughly the correct trains at the correct times makes it for me.  Once I get Gleneagles DN distant, DN home and UP section signals and Blackfords distant i think it will offer plenty of interest to the visitor.

Around 0905 each morning is the only chance to see two A4s within minutes of each other.  Merlin is slightly late on the DN Grampian the 0825 ex Glasgow and Kingfisher is going well just before on the UP Bon Accord  the 0710 off Aberdeen

Edited by Clagmeister
added video, mistake
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Clagmeister said:

The real thing. 46233 recovering from I imagine an imposed restriction at Peterhead Bridge in 2013. What a place it must have been in the early 60s.

I'd had a look around the area that morning for a good location whilst driving south. In the end i decided on the other side of Blackford and got a great view as she swept past.

https://youtu.be/BfYbmjYu5jM

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WolfofBadenoch said:

I'd had a look around the area that morning for a good location whilst driving south. In the end i decided on the other side of Blackford and got a great view as she swept past.

https://youtu.be/BfYbmjYu5jM

That curve west of Blackford was my fall back plan.  It just didn't fit as easily or have the symmetry of the Gleneagles curve.   Upper Strathearn is absolutely wonderful.

• Like 2

I have fitted the home spun double pole telegraph poles and utility wires that cluttered this place.  Also added some ground flock and a re painted lineside hut which i think is in the right place.

A Class 26 on the lunch time Glasgow-Inverness.

20210315_134342.jpg.db5ca4be69ca09685e7f98dc7e51f397.jpg

20210315_142324.jpg.c0fbedf294d4e88a9307376afb2ab73d.jpg

20210315_135252.jpg.8fb23774c38a0be2459ee213474b9694.jpg

Edited by Clagmeister
more pics
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

A few from last couple of days.

60527 Sun Chariot of Ferryhill takes a turn on the 4hr Grampian.  The back working is a very heavy 1102pm ex Glasgow.

20210317_143117.jpg.3e20253ebe606b61f8c9278e2b3f81a7.jpg

A pretty rare sight, a Stirling Fairburn has light unidentified Southbound parcels working, whilst at the same time a V2 is in charge of a class H through freight.

20210317_142937.jpg.e0d87f85ef552a2d0bb0e85b2af9d2b4.jpg

Finally a class 26 is in charge of the 3 coach Edinburgh Princess St-Perth working.

20210317_142636.jpg.514d1b275f2f43f1fb90644713fd5616.jpg

Edited by Clagmeister
missing word
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Waverley West said:

Coming along very nicely, Mike! You've been making some good progress recently. Adding the variation in the colouring of the gas mats has made a big difference I think.

Cheers

Dave

Yes thanks Dave, I like to use them as a base and build from there, it takes time though.  I have a lot of ground to cover!!  Avery different conundrum to yours!! Main problem is finding interesting and good looking solutions to hide the edges.  N suits me as I think its very much a broad brush and atmosphere led scale.  Certainly for places out in the country where the railway just passes through.

11 minutes ago, Clagmeister said:

N suits me as I think its very much a broad brush and atmosphere led scale.  Certainly for places out in the country where the railway just passes through.

Yes, definitely the scale for a layout like this, plenty of scenery, lovely sweeping curves and full-length trains. Very nice.

I presume you're not running this to a real-time timetable like Caolisport, are you?

Edited by Waverley West
Changed "real" to "real-time"

2 minutes ago, Waverley West said:

Yes, definitely the scale for a layout like this, plenty of scenery, lovely sweeping curves and full-length trains. Very nice.

I presume you're not running this to a real-time timetable like Caolisport, are you?

Hi Waverley,

Knowing what books he has been reading I wouldn't put it past him should he have enough stock. Mind you he will need a Clan in the mix somewhere !

Gibbo.