Cheers, Paul. I'm going to put some cabling and junction boxes for the machine tools once they're fitted.

I've now made the lathe. It's no modelled on any particular lathe and was done from memory, going on what I've seen of lathes from time to time and what I remember from school metalwork classes so if I've made any howlers then it's my own fault for not doing any research.

It's mostly made from plasticard and strip offcuts but includes a few other parts from the bits bin. The small handwheels are N gauge wagon brake wheels and the large one is a 7mm narrow gauge loco brake wheel. The clutch lever is a pin. The chuck is was made from brass in my own Unimat lathe, with slots milled for the jaws, which are made of plastic strip.

post-494-0-02798900-1295454978_thumb.jpg

All it needs now is a bit of nickel silver wire for the cutting fluid pipe and some swarf and general muck.

post-494-0-35959800-1295455291_thumb.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Sorry to keep going on about the same bit and not really showing nothing new but this is one of the reasons I like 7mm scale - scratchbuilding the little details. Just say if it's getting boring and I'm going on about it too much without showing any trains. :lol:

This is how it all looks with the roof on the building and the only lighting being provided by the 12v grain of wheat bulb inside. I've put the lathe in place and added a few pin-ups to the walls. I'll probably come back to it later and add a few more details but I really must get on and do something about the remaining 6 feet of bare baseboard.

post-494-0-80460600-1295554122_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Not boring at all Dave, I was looking at this the other day and thinking how much you seemed to be enjoying the extra detailing opportunities 7mm gives, the machine tools look great. Pin-ups are sheer class!!

None of the above biggrin.gif

It's the basis for this:

post-494-0-27301100-1296580274_thumb.jpg

Which is meant to be this when it's finished:

post-494-0-89250900-1296580314_thumb.jpg

Picture from Cheona Publications Railways in Profile Series no. 14 British Railway Private Owner Tank Wagons.

Another tar tank. This one was built in 1881 and worked until 1951 before being preserved by its makers - Charles Roberts. OK so I'm stretching things a little to say that one of the same design lasted another 10 years but so what?

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 2

Mr Rusty,

How appropriate, I have posted elsewhere asking if anyone had any links/pictures to unloading asphalt/tar at a small yard, i.e. heating boilers vs loco steam etc!

'Watching with interest' as these forum chappies say.........

Doug

I've made a small office/toilet block building for the corner. It still needs guttering and an external pipe. Everything's scratch built, even the window frames and the slates are all individual, cut from plasticard. I've no idea what to use for the gutter though...

I did get rather bored whilst fitting the slates on the office roof so I'm not looking forward to the roof of the loading bay... :blink:

Can I suggest a method for slate?

If you cut strips of plasticard the depth of the slate, then cut ¾ across the strip to make the individual slate shingles. Glue to the roof from the bottom up (sounds obvious), do the same with the next strip and so on.

When you place the next strip above and find that you may have two slates that line up and are not staggered, move your strip along effectively missing one slate out to continue the staggered look. Then when the roof is complete cut an individual slate and glue it below the missing space. It gives a very realistic rustic look and I think it will compliment your layout.

Just an idea (if you get what I mean).

Layout looks great!

Best regards,

Mark

If you cut strips of plasticard the depth of the slate, then cut ¾ across the strip to make the individual slate shingles. Glue to the roof from the bottom up (sounds obvious), do the same with the next strip and so on.

When you place the next strip above and find that you may have two slates that line up and are not staggered, move your strip along effectively missing one slate out to continue the staggered look. Then when the roof is complete cut an individual slate and glue it below the missing space. It gives a very realistic rustic look and I think it will compliment your layout.

Layout looks great!

Best regards,

Mark

Just finished reading the thread (maybe I should have done that before posting), but I did not see the roof mentioned in any of the photos. If it is complete then the above idea could be one for the future.;)

Regards,

Mark

This layout looks great, very good atmosphere. Any chance of seeing some overview shots of the layout once in a while to see how the overall look is changing? A lot of times people post detail shots of areas they are working on but I really enjoy seeing the overall scene to see it develop from bare boards to a finished work of art :D

Thanks!

Nick

Layout looks great!

Best regards,

Mark

You plastic enthusiasts get quite worked up over slates, but, forgive me for presuming that this below is what you want to achieve..............

post-106-0-44925200-1296647839_thumb.jpg

By all means use plastic [for the flat layer] onto which you stick overlapping strips of thick cartridge paper [for O gauge] or 90gm ms quality writing paper [for OO gauge] using MEK applied witha bruh at the upper edge of the paper. Then attack them with a thick knife blade like a Stanley knife, wash over with watercolour/dilute acrylic and that's it.

post-106-0-01217000-1296647646_thumb.jpg

If you progress up the roof, using an old plastic ruler as a 'guard' for each successive higher layer, you can fairly belt along. Afterwards, a coat of matt varnish.

I think Cap'n Kernow uses something like this method on his lovely work, but paper on card.

Beware modern slates roofs, the slates are thinner than you think [or at least than I thought!]....from the WSR

post-106-0-28380100-1296647601_thumb.jpg

I appreciate that it is not 'individual slates' but it looks pretty convincing [iMHO] and might be worth a little trial run on a scrap bit somewhere.......

Hope this helps,

[Apologies for semi-hijack]

Doug

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

None of the above :D

It's the basis for this:

Another tar tank. This one was built in 1881 and worked until 1951 before being preserved by its makers - Charles Roberts. OK so I'm stretching things a little to say that one of the same design lasted another 10 years but so what?

Well that was nowhere on my list of what it could be... ohmy.gif

Looking good and a really interesting prototype, something you don't see every year never mind every day.

It certainly has all the solid looks of the original, Dave. I wonder if it was 'D' shaped in order to have easily supported heating coils inside on the flat bottom plates? Is there any information on how the tar was heated to become liquefied enough to be discharged?

Doug

I've no idea, Doug. I've made it based on the photo that I posted and the basic dimensions given in the book that the photo is in. It doesn't give any details of a heating system. The subject of heating the tar is something I was going to ask about because the Slater's rectangular tank kit doesn't have any heating coil connections modelled on it and some of the lettering supplied with that is for tar distillers. Would all tar wagons have been fitted with heating coils?

As far as I know they would have to be heated somehow to discharge their content. I did once find it in a web topic but despite lots of searching can not find it again.

I remember it saying that either train steam could be used or an auxiliary boiler at the point of unloading and there was a photo of a smallish [10ft high with chimney] boiler with wooden slats for insulation like a vertical boiler from a steam lorry [sentinel?].

A lot of 'Tar' wagons I don't suppose actually contained tar, but carried creosote, and a tar/oil mixture that was sprayed to make macadam so they may not have been heated.

Every now and again I have another trawl, if I find it you'll be the first to know.

Doug

I've asked someone that I know in the C&W Dept. at Butterlry, where the prototype is preserved, if it has steam heating or not but he hasn't got back to me yet.

Well, it's just about done, bar numbering and weathering.

post-494-0-11516500-1298050157_thumb.jpg

I've made the brake parts using plastic square section and strips of brass offcuts and the extra brake blocks that are used on the Slaters 12t van kit to produce a clasp-braked version. The filler is made from solid brass and the lid fastener is plastic rod and strip. The coach bolt heads on the frames are done by driling holes through the plastic and wood and then inserting a small length of plastic rod. A dab of plastic weld smooths out the sharp-cut edges.

Then there's this thing...

post-494-0-61375300-1298050877_thumb.jpg

I don't have the space for a tippler or anything such as that so this is what I came up with the unload coal from rail wagons to the boiler house. The gantry will have a grab attached, which would drop coal into the hopper from a wagon parked next to it. The gantry can also drop coal into a stockpile or unload from a wagon on the nearest track. I've never seen a prototype set up like this but anything's possible I guess?

• Like 4

Dave, that arrangement is very like a simplified Telpher, so no reason at all that it shouldn't work. If you look at my Loco ads and find the Ruston one at Ravenscraig, there is a Telpher operating at the front corner of the melting shop, supported on splay legged gantries.

A Telpher has a man riding car, suspended from a single girder monorail, with a grab under it. They do just what your system does but on a larger scale. I've photos if it's of any interest.

• Like 2

Thanks, Arthur. I've just taken a look and I suppose it is similar - a prototype for everything! :) This one will be operated from the ground and powered by electric motors. I've made the gantry high enough so when the grab is raised to its maximum it'll still pass over a van. Of course it won't actually work so I'll have to use the Great Hand from the Sky to remove coal loads, which goes against one of the first principles of the layout but I couldn't resist having a couple of manky 16-tonners.