Cheers, Debs!

Nowt much to report lately but I have been working on another loco kit (although I really ought to get the wiring fixed and get the layout working again) that's been unbuilt and in its box for far too long. I won't bore you with the construction as I think we all know what a load of flat sheets of etched brass look like.

It's a Markham 0-4-0ST an the kit is from Agenoria. I intend this one to be really filthy and uncared for so even at the basic paint stage I've already used Maskol over a rusty coloured base coat and pulled bits off to effect peeling paint and a nameplate that's either been stolen or sold to an enthusiast.

post-494-0-33886900-1337457555.jpg

I've only just made a start on the frames, which are to be fully sprung, using Slaters hornblocks and guides.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

The Markham is almost finished. It needs some pickups fitting and it's ready to go. I've fitted the decoder but haven't been able to test it yet. It has been tested on the rolling road with straight DC and seems quite smooth.

As you can see I've really gone to town with the weathering!

post-494-0-14243700-1338838935.jpg

post-494-0-08518800-1338839005.jpg

Looking at the photos It could do with some representation of grease on the buffer blocks so I'll see to that when I have it apart to fit the pickups.

The acid test for the springing will be once it's actually running on track. This is the first one I've built with springing so we'll see how it goes...

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 17

Looking at the photos It could do with some representation of grease on the buffer blocks....

Funny you should put that right under the picture, as it's exactly what I thought as I scrolled down!! Other than that... fantastic!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've finished the car park. I started work on it a couple of months ago by rolling and laying air-dring clay. I could only roll up to a size of around 6x5 inches and eventually covered it all by butting the pieces up against each other but as the clay dried cracks appeared at some joins. The clay was painted with Humbrol acrylics. I've taken advantage of some of the cracks by filling them with weeds. I was asking elsewhere on the forum about weeds and grass for O gauge but I found this Noch stuff in my local model shop today.

I also built a chain link fence out of suitably sized softwood strip and off cuts of netting intended as a fly curtain for the conservatory. This is made from nylon or something similar and the holes are hexagonal so I thought it would be ideal for a fence.

post-494-0-67502000-1339706567.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Dave - Very nice! Love the car park - I've got something similar to do on Somerset Lane so will try the clay (was it Das? or something similar).

Thanks, Tim. I don't think it was DAS and I've thrown the empty packet away so I can't tell you what it was. I'll look in the model shop where I bought it the next time I'm there.

I settled on clay after considering painted foamboard and deciding that it was too perfectly flat and textureless. I also considered pouring polyfilla, as I did with the loading shed yard but didn't want a repeat of all that mess again.

• 2 months later...

It's been almost 3 months since I posted anything about this but then there's not been anything to report until this week. Having had a relatively quiet week work-wise I've cracked on with the scenics at the end of the railway that is, as yet, unballasted.

I've put down some hardstanding in the form of stone setts (scribed DAS clay). I've never used this stuff before and all I can say is that scribing the setts is tedious!

Other things have been making a ladder for and handrail around the storage tank, a hut/yard office, a low-relief building to go at the far end, and a perimeter wall and gates.

The Hut:

post-494-0-78437600-1347650849.jpg

Built from plasticard and English bond embossed plasticard, cornflakes packet roof tiles, umbrella spoke gutter and plastic rod downpipe. The door and window frame are resin parts and the spout is a whitemetal casting.

The wall:

post-494-0-33919600-1347651042.jpg

English bond embossed plasticard sandwiching foamboard. When it came to finishing off the top I gave it a lot of thought - something like this wouldn't have had anything fancy as capping, such as stone, and would probably have had brick stretchers across the top but, as far as I know, there's no such thing in the Slaters range. Individually cutting out bricks from the sheet would take forever and would look rough as there's no way of cutting the mortar course accurately enough. So it looked like I would have to put capping stones on it but then, whilst delivering a load to a company in some back street or other in Sheffield, I spied a wall that was finished with a layer of mortar with lots and lots of broken glass stuck in it - a crude attempt at keeping ne'er do wells out.

I took a piece of glass and ground it up with a pestle and mortar. I then ran a layer of superglue along the top of the wall and tipped the ground glass onto it. There's rather more glass than on the prototype but it looks OK. I'll just have to be very careful if ever I have to re-rail a wagon in the nearest siding!

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

The brick walls around the NPL in Teddington were topped with the mortar/broken glass mix and I can recall seing it used elsewhere too. Seems to have fallen out of favour these days.

Looks like a good deterrent to exhibition pokers & prodders...!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad that it's appreciated. I don't think I've seen it modelled before.

I've been working away on this area of the layout and will soon have some more photos to post but here's a crappy one I took on my phone to show progress.

post-494-0-35823300-1349295123.jpg

After scribing them I went over the setts again to knock off the square edges but I don't think that I rounded them off enough now they're painted.

I used different shades of beige/khaki/brown/grey acrylics to pick them out and then sloshed a load of thined black enamel on to get into the mortar and to tone down the whole lot.

They could probably use a coat of matt varnish before they're finished.

• Like 2

That series II truck cab is excellent. We had one when we were kids, and I hated it (previous Landy was a pre-series I). One of us had to take turns riding in the back, and I always felt out of it and lonely when it was my turn......... (I didn't have to share it with a PTO driven welder, though!). Your model takes me right back.

That Pecket is looking the Dogs B....... as well!

Ah.... Headlights are in the grill in the series II position though.......

Love the Manning Wardle - wish I could justify getting one! The buffers need dirtying to match the rest, but I'm by jealous.

Best,

G

Thanks for PM'ing me the link to this thread

I can't believe I've missed it!

Just goes to show how much good stuff there is on rmweb these days :)

Cracking modelling sir, just cracking

Then whole thing has a lovely grimy atmospheric feel to it,

and your level of detail is high, and consistent throughout

Super stuff - keep 'em coming

Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...