Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

South of Derby the accent and dialect of the natives changes about every four miles. I was used to: "Gi us the 'ommer mi duck." 

I had to buy that Thor, which was painful after years of being able to liberate them from work. I must have been to half a dozen places before I got one.

Most disturbing was the local car spares / tools / bicycles etc chain stores. They had some strange rubber mallets, no engineer's hammers, no panel beaters hammers no copper or hide mallets, but they did have two sizes of claw hammer. 

Anybody using a claw hammer on a motor vehicle shouldn't be trusted with crayons even.

I remember that as a junior school kid in the late 70s, a claw hammer was referred to as a "Sutcliffe". Children are just nasty!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Apropos of nothing, at work we have a comms room with five racks of computer servers, and across from the front of the racks is a workbench.

Some years ago, we had a spate of unexplainable failures of a number of servers, not all the same type, nor in one particular rack, and always silly things like the video feed or a network port suddenly not working. Unlike most desktop computers, these things are all built in to the motherboard,so if it dies, the whole thing is trashed.

Anyway, one of my colleagues removed on of these servers from the rack to try and work on it, and after becoming more and more frustrated, he hammered a very large flat-bladed screwdriver straight through the motherboard of the culprit.

Since that time, we have had no more unexplained failures in any server in the racks, and the victim has been left in a prominent position on the workbench (with the screwdriver still embedded) as a salutary lesson for any others who might feel the need to stray...

I thought I had a photo of it, which I'm sure would qualify as modern art, darling... but I can't find it.

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
  • Like 1
  • Funny 8

That's rather like severed heads on spikes over the castle gates or the body of a highwayman hung from a gibbet at a crossroads as a warning to others.

There's often something quite satisfying about smashing the #### out of an annoying piece of tech. 

I bet if I had a sweep up under the workshop bench I will find bits of mobile phone.,..

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

Enough talk of severed heads, mothers in law and non serviceable components rage...

Time to try and make my fields look less like a cross between a snooker table and Action Man's head.

Or as an excercise in avoidance behaviour, clear the dreck mountain from board one and sort out the hard surfaces.

That sounds more appealing. 

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Time to try and make my fields look less like a cross between a snooker table and Action Man's head

the first layer always looks like a snooker  table, once you’ve added different lengths and colours you’ll be surprised just how good it looks :)

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks, that does actually sound encouraging! I've had to go out on a fairly lengthy trip today and whilst at it I have stopped and had a better look at lowland fields that are grazed by sheep. They tend to eat around the coarser grasses and weeds, leaving small random tufts 6"-12" across. I have an idea for recreating these in the next layer of static grass.

Meanwhile, I have finalised the position of the goods shed and the cattle dock. 

You might expect the cattle dock to be as close to the road as possible, but as at Broome, just down the road on the L&NWR, I am making use of the land opposite the station, placing the dock as far back as possible so that temporary pens can be assembled to handle hundreds rather than dozens of sheep.

IMG_20210928_211943.jpg.5be5c5da7923d76384195f69fdce0ae6.jpg

The as yet unfinished cattle dock is a much butchered Ratio item. It has been turned around and the walls entirely remade in brick.

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 11

29 minutes ago, Graham T said:

And I assume that must be the little-known VSTOL variant of the Stuka?

It's a version only discovered in barns and on the edge of woodlands at the end of hostilities. It's the Unvorsichtig Geparkt, or carelessly parked Stuka.

• Funny 3

11 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I much preferred the Lysander.

I did have one of those about a thousand years ago. I've got an Avro Anson in the queue once the railway has got to a basically assembled stage.

Which is why the stork doesn't have its camouflage or markings yet!

• Like 2

A little more progress, I've got a fair bit of trimming to do in order to make these cobbled sheets fit. They will be virtually buried in grot when finished and a substantial fence down each side of prototypical appearance.

The grounded van is a hay store and the shed is for disinfectant and the checkers clipboard!

IMG_20210928_224035.jpg.88e3d80f277ccd7cc2164d9b922510ba.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Not at home atm, but have a spare one I can send at the weekend.

Thank you for your kind offer, that's very generous. 

Unfortunately I posted that I had run out of cobblestone just after I had clicked 'buy it now' on eBay.

So I will have a few spare if anyone needs any.

It's been a very tiring day of sorting out a van full of parts. It would appear that I am now the proud owner of one and a half Norton Dominators and a pile of yet to be identified spares. 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

It's good to be back and thank you to the folks at RMWeb for their efforts rebooting, rebooting again and resisting the temptation to follow my posts and smash the #### out of annoying pieces of tech.

Maybe they did an @Alister_Gand thrashed a big screwdriver through one of the mother boards as a warning to others...

• Like 2
  • Funny 6